Thread: Travelling to Sri Lanka

Travelling to Sri Lanka

Hi

I just wondered if anyone knew of any websites or anywhere I could get some information on holidaying in Sri Lanka. Basically my best friend is getting married and has asked me to be bestman but it seems to be a problem finding suitable accommadtion, the travel agent isn't a great help.
    I know there's a lot of people on here who travel so I was looking to pick your brains if you don't mind.

Many Thanks.

I think your best bet, Vicar, is to contact the Embassy of the Republic of Sri Lanka in London. Ask to speak to their tourism consuler office/r. You'll get the real unvarnished truth about the country as far as what medical supplies and medicines you may need to bring with you and whether the area you are heading for has accessible taxi vans or buses. Also look for the newest hotels built there by international companies like Hilton, Four Seasons, etc. Whatever the pre-trip arrangements you make, call 24 hours ahead of each day you are there to make sure your transportation and/or aide will show up.

Your version of our Department of State, ummm, Foreign Office? Should have a complete list of vaccines you'll need, whether you should take anti-malarial pills, etc. Ask about whether they keep a list of insurers for travel and health. If not, call your nearest Lloyd's because social health normally does not cover care in or evacuation from foreign countries.

Also ask the FO about tourist warnings for the country. These are up to date advisories of any trouble spots or large conventions/demonstrations that are expected during your stay. And whatever you do...do not stray far from tourist areas without friends with you. A wheelchair in some countries is worth more than gold. You could wind up on the sidewalk while some caring father hijacks your wheels.

And please! Give us a write up about your trip afterwards. I'd love to hear about it. Take pictures!

Thank You Sue!

Many thanks for your reply, I'll be getting in contact with the relevant people soon.

No problem and I hope your trip is wonderful. We were stationed at the US Emabssy in Rome and then before that I often used our consulate office in Munich for trip information. Most countries have a tourist bureau in both embassies and consulates in other countries and also your own foreign affairs department has as one of its jobs the health and safety of its citizens while abroad. And the most expensive thing you will ever have to deal with healthwise is air evacuation from one country to another. That is why trip/travel insurance is so important and not very expensive when compared to $20K US for a transatlantic flight.

PS.....depending on the season and the security status of the embassy in Colombo you may be able to wiggle your way into an invitation to a Friday cocktail party at the Consular General's or Ambassador's. Doesn't hurt to ask. I think your home area MP (?) should be able to check this for you. Tell him/her that you will be doing a write up on facilities for the disabled there. And you will be...