Thread: Handcycle Info

Handcycle Info

cheesecake suggested to post this in Sports & Recreation, so here it is-http://carecure.atinfopop.com/4/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=4754088921&f=5854088921&m=372409 2861

JLB
    Member posted January 30, 2002 10:49 PM I'm thinking about getting a handcycle for a good cardio workout. I know nothing about them. I've heard that insurance will cover the cost.Can you guys give me some input so I can start looking into this.Thanks!Posts: 23 | From: NJ Shore | Registered: January 02, 2002

cheesecake
    Moderator posted February 09, 2002 09:17 AM Sports & Recreation

This is a great topic, I have learned a lot about hand cycling and now have a bit of the biking bug. Is this thread more appropriate in the sports and recreation? Just a thought. Keep the great info coming.Posts: 273 | From: USA | Registered: August 19, 2001

Curtis
    Moderator posted February 08, 2002 11:32 PM Sometime John

You should come to Rhode Island to ride the East Bay bike path. I think it is about the nicest bike path in the Country, it runs along the Ocean and is 16 miles long, so round trip a good 32 mile ride. Real nice. Curtis"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz FordredPosts: 408 | From: Portsmouth, R.I USA | Registered: July 24, 2001

The Human Cannonball
    Member posted February 08, 2002 01:21 PM Hi Curtis

Yes you are correct in your post. The stage 1 and 2 only weigh 6 lbs less than superbike and is real easy to disassemble for travel. I personally think the people who are winning all the races are the amputees and paras with huge arms , bench pressing over 300lbs lol. Thanks for the response and you never know, maybe someday we'll get to ride together.
    JohnPosts: 78 | From: Chicagoland area | Registered: July 24, 2001

Curtis
    Moderator posted February 04, 2002 03:30 PM I am thinking about a stage 1

Agree with you cannonball that they do add a different perspective to riding in that they have the ability to steer through leaning. The thing is though, if you look at who is winning the races, most are not riding Freedom ryders, but non lean steer bikes, plus I think the non lean steer bikes are a lot better in tight situations. I go places on my XLT that my friends on their freedom ryders would not even attempt. But like you said they are definately more fun to ride, given the right conditions. I am thinking about getting a Stage 1 and then upgrading the components to XTR shimano components. The Stages bikes have a real well built frame (I think better than the Superbike) although they are quite a bit heavier. I have riden a couple of superbikes and did not really care for them. I also like the 26 inch wheels that the stages bikes have. $1695 for a stage 1 is a pretty good deal. I had thought about a CB1, but it is a lot of money at $3300.00, although it handles much better than the rest of the freedomryder line. Road tested one last fall."Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz FordredPosts: 408 | From: Portsmouth, R.I USA | Registered: July 24, 2001

The Human Cannonball
    Member posted February 04, 2002 09:51 AM The best Handcycles are Freedomryders!!

http://www.freedomryder.comThese are the best and yes probably most expensive and only certain types of quads and paras can ride them due to lean steering technology. I have the stage 2 which is awesome. I am not a racer just a rec. riderJohn/Chicago Posts: 78 | From: Chicagoland area | Registered: July 24, 2001

Jim D
    Member posted February 03, 2002 01:41 AM Oh, by the way - I have a Top End XLT too. I've been very happy with it. (It's also fun listening to the comments you get as you ride by - every little kid thinks it's the coolest thing they've ever seen!)Later!Posts: 6 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: December 08, 2001

Jim D
    Member posted February 03, 2002 01:37 AM Marathons

JLB - The NYC Marathon is held every November - you've got plenty of time to get yourself ready, if you're interested. Even closer to home for you is the Jersey Shore marathon - that's in April, so it obviously comes up a lot quicker. I don't know anything else about it, but you can get more info by going to:www.njshoremarathon.orgGood luck and keep us posted!JimPosts: 6 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: December 08, 2001

JLB
    Member posted February 02, 2002 02:31 PM Thanks for the input everyone.
    I was just considering getting one before, but now I am definitely!The Top End XLT looks great.Jim, that's great you did the NYC Marathon! When is it every year? Hopefully I can be ready for the next one.Thanks again all!Posts: 23 | From: NJ Shore | Registered: January 02, 2002

bilby
    Member posted February 01, 2002 12:52 PM JLB- A stationary handcycle might be an option too, especially if you live where the weather is bad half the year.billPosts: 110 | From: frankfort, ny us | Registered: July 24, 2001

Curtis
    Moderator posted February 01, 2002 12:50 PM Top End

I have a Top End XLT with a 12 speed internal hub and a two speed mountain drive option up top and I love it. I kind of like the internal hubs better as it requires no noisy deraillers plus has a coaster brake which means I can react real quick on the brakes as my hands are right there on the crank handles.Heres a couple sites in addition to the ones already given. Scott from Bike-on.com is a good freind of mine and is from Rhode Island, he is a great guy to deal with.www.challengecycling.org this is the group I ride with.www.quintecentral.com this is a freind of mine who I ride with. He is a c-7 quad and keeps right up with us Paras. He is real knowlegable on handcycling. Curtis."Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your

Jeff
    Member posted February 01, 2002 06:02 AM Climbing hills

Is really slow for me. I hate seeing bikers stand up and use their body weight on the pedals while I struggle with my arms. That's one thing I absolutely love about Florida - it's flat as a pancake.~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~Posts: 826 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: July 25, 2001

chipper
    Member posted January 31, 2002 11:37 PM Bike-On is a great place to start looking

I bought my handcycle from Scott at Bike-On last year, and I am absolutely in love with it! I highly recommend handcycles as a great workout, plus it's just so much fun to get off road and gain some speed!I have a TopEnd XLT 2000 (now called XLT Pro), and I have had no problems with it at all. In fact, my husband and I have biked throughout Maine and Maryland in all kinds of conditions: paved road, dirt road, gravel paths, and fire roads. I have the cruiser tires, so it can function like a mountain bike, but if you really want to go off-road, you may want to look into the true mountain handcycles. Scott can probably give the best advice on which bike would be best for you.I can keep up with my husband on his mountain bike (he is AB) on the flat and downgrades, but he leaves me in the dust on steep inclines! Good luck, and let me know what you decide to get.Posts: 19 | From: Maryland | Registered: October 07, 2001

Jeff
    Member posted January 31, 2002 11:25 PM Insurance will cover the cost...

You must have really good insurance!Mine would not. Not even close.~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~Posts: 826 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: July 25, 2001

Jim D
    Member posted January 31, 2002 11:16 PM handcycle info

Here are a few sites that you can begin looking into:www.handcycling.com
    www.handcycleracing.com
    www.bike-on.comCheck the info available on each site, and check out all of their links to other sites - you'll begin to get an idea of what's out there.
    I bought a bike last summer through Scott at Bike-on.com - he's very knowlegable but applies no pressure - I found him to be a good resource.
    Good luck and let me know if there's anyting else I can tell you.PS: I completed the NYC marathon in November, and just sent in my application for the Boston Marathon today - it's cool!JimPosts: 6 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: December 08, 2001

Thanks JLB

I kept forgetting to move this topic over, I meant to do it the other day.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Thanks for all the great information!

I've decided to get the Top End XLT Pro, from Scott at www.bike-on.com We are going to submit it to my insurance and see if they will cover it.

I'll let you know what happens.

Good deal

I love mine. Have you tried a Freedom Ryder though? Might be worth trying both before making a decision. Unfortunately Scott does not sell the freedom ryders anymore as they decieded to only deal direct with the customer. Scott is pretty upset about it as a lot of guys in our group ride them and now he will not even be able to get parts for them anymore as they will have to be ordered factory direct. They do make a nice bike, but they are kind of a tough company to deal with, whereas Top End is Great, no problem in getting parts and like I said it is well built. I was hoping to buy my freedom ryder through Scott though, at this point I am going to wait as a good freind is getting a CB1 freedom ryder and I want to wait and see how he likes his.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred