Thread: Question for CHIPPER

Question for CHIPPER

you said you are a t10 and ride horses.I also live in Maryland and foxhunted before my injury T4.Can you give me advice on returning to riding..saddle you use,how you get on the horse ,etc.

Resource

Here is a site with listings for several disabled equestrian links:

http://www.makoa.org/sports.htm

(KLD)

Brians/Diving

I dropped the S on your name so I don't know if you saw the info.I posted you about Belize. One more thing I can tell you is The Sunbreeze Hotel where I stayed the 1st time I went there is where the para divers also stayed. While there the hotel pulled out a ramp to make it easier for me to get down the 10-12" drop to the sand. The island is made of coral. Traveling around in town is relatively easy. Sand is difficult, but people are friendly and help.
    Claire
    www.global-travel.co.uk/palms.htm
    If you go to The Palms @the bottom of page @ highlight,the bottom shot was my place. I recognize the prints I brought down there to decorate. It used to be a great deal to rent. $75/night in low season for 2 bedrooms. Who knows now.

Association for Therapeutic Riding

Brians,
    The association for therapeutic ridings stables are in Burtonsville Md in Howard county off Rte. 29, not far from your home. Ronald Regans former press secretary, James Brady was on the board of directors. Check them out, they have a good program.

SCI Nurse thanks for the website
    I have ridden once since my accident,one person led my horse and there was a person on either side of me to catch me if i fell. I placed my hands on my knees and kept my weight forward because i can not control falling backwards.if i lost my balance left or right i just pushed on my leg to rebalance my self

Brian

Sorry it took so long for me to reply -- I guess I've gotten lazy about logging in every day!

I was disabled as a teenager and learned to ride soon after my injury. I rode Western for the first few years, because my riding instructor wasn't sure about my balance and coordination. I switched to English as soon as I got confident and rode huntseat for years, even though I sat to the trot and never jumped anything bigger than a foot or so. I rode at a private stable that participated in a 4-H riding club, and I was the only disabled rider there. I had one of the stable lads help me onto my horse, which was okay with me because they were really cute!

A few years ago I had spinal fusion surgery which kept me out of the saddle for quite some time. I just started riding again at a local therapeutic riding center, which was good for me because I felt like I was starting all over again. They have mounting blocks, which are basically ramps that you roll up, after tying your horse to the cross-ties there. It's kind of like a chute rodeo riders use, so the horse can't dance around or get too far from your wheelchair. It takes a while for horses to get used to the mounting block, so you may want to start with a center that has a string of horses.

I have been able to tack my own horses, although it can be difficult to get the saddle on if the horse is really tall. Getting the bridle on takes a bit of practice and patience -- one of the horses I used to ride thought that it was a game to pull his head up every time I brought the bit near his mouth. I don't use any straps to keep my feet in the stirrups, and I carry a crop in each hand, which acts as the leg cues for the horse.

There are stables in Annapolis and Burtonsville that work with disabled riders, but I bet you could just go for a consultation once or twice and then figure out what you'd need on your own after that. You sound like a much more experienced rider than I am, so I bet you'd be jumping and foxhunting again in no time!

Good luck and let me know if I can help further, or if you have any advice for me.

more questions for chiiper

what is your injury level?I can not imagine balancing myself,holding a crop(in each hand) and holding the reins.Could I go to where you ride and watch you tack up and ride?

Brians

Okay, I am getting really bad about logging in each day. I apologize again for the delay in answering your questions. I am a T11 para, complete, with spinal instrumentation. I do have some balance issues, especially after having the rods implanted, but I find that riding really helps me get better strength.

I have been using an Aussie saddle lately, which is basically an English saddle with a little horn in front and leg rolls, which help keep you seated in place. I don't have the best riding habits, but I tend to keep the reins threaded through my hands correctly, and when I lose balance, I grab the pommel. It's also easier if the horse knows how to neck rein, because you can keep your balance with one hand, and rein with the other. If you don't want to use the double crop method, you can always use your body weight, posture and voice cues to communicate with your horse. I rode this weekend when I visited my college friend, and I didn't bring any of my gear. I didn't have my crops, so I just used my body weight to lean and voice cues for Back, Whoa, Walk, Trot, etc. It worked pretty well, except my friend's horse is 17 hands tall! I had a heck of a time getting up there, even with mounting blocks!

You may be better off starting with just voice, body position and neck reining. Let me know where you decide to ride. We may run into each other in the barn sometime.

If you come up with ideas on how to improve this, please pass them on. I also need all the help I can get!

Happy trails..

reply to chipper

I will ide at my house,I have 8 hoses on 16 aces.Also ,when the weathe gets nice ,I will be leaning to dive a 2 wheel cart..I have the custom built cat you dive fom you wheelchai,the hose and harness...You ae welcome to come over anytime

Thanks!

Wow, I'd love to see your horses sometime! I have temporarily given up riding, because I am trying to get pregnant and have been told to stay off horses for at least a month. As soon as I can, though, I'll be back in the saddle (hopefully at the Burtonsville facility). Good luck, and enjoy your farm. If you learn some techniques for driving your horses, please post them, okay? Have fun.