Thread: Disability Sports - Classification and Competition

Disability Sports - Classification and Competition

Here is a web site that talks about classification of disabilities for competition

http://ed-web3.educ.msu.edu/kin866/default.htm

More specific

Here is a more direct link:

Sports Classification

Specific to the Paralympic Games and Special Olympics World Games for Sailing.

I am a member of the Disabled Sailing Association of Ontario and our season will probably open May 22nd just before my 1st race this year, Ashbridge's Bay Invitational Regatta (last year's page) on May 26-27.

I sail a Martin 16 and because of the characteristics of the craft the classification system is not entirely applicable. Consider I have consistently been beaten by a C2 who uses sipp-n-puff technology (read more about it at the Martin 16 site and under the classification system we would not be able to compete one-on-one since I'm a T4.

If you live close to a body of water, try to find out if there are any clubs that have the Martin. If you can't find anything send me an email, I might be able to find something if you're interested. It is a lot of fun

Cheers!
    --
    Han

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

[This message was edited by Han Tacoma on Feb 27, 2002 at 08:13 PM.]

Martin 16s Rock!

I am a volunteer at the local program in San Diego area (AIMS). Free for those with disabilities, sponsors include individuals and several local yacht clubs. This is one boat where being AB is not an advantage, so everyone can sail together (para, quad, blind, AB, etc.). Can be sailed by hand, joy stick, sip and puff, even quads on vents using the computer control systems.