Thread: Info on Doubletree Hotels??

Info on Doubletree Hotels??

Has anyone stayed in a Doubletree and are the bathrooms/tub/shower really wc accessible? thanks.

martha

Accessibility

I did an accessibility evaluation on the Doubletree in Baltimore. We found numerous probles but that hotel was willing to work with us as we were holding a conference at their Hotel. We use one of the suite hotel. There were problems with furniture placement but they readily removed the coffeetable. The bathrooms were large enough but the shower seat was narrow, made of no skid material (rought on the butt) and required a drop down that made getting out impossible. For a high para or a quad who would need trunk support....no way.

I have also evaluated the Doubletree in Old Town, VA. They in fact have two rooms with roll in showers but the same minor inconveniences...thermostat to high, towels out of reach, coffee table blocks access, etc. The staff again was very motivated to make a difference.

When reserving, I suggest that you speak to the manager at the hotel directly. Ask specifically about a roll in shower, bathroom accessibility, etc. Make sure they have such a room and request it.

On the positive note, both places had accessible restaurants as well as public restrooms.

Thanks!

Thanks Cheesecake. This will be our first night in a hotel and I really would prefer that it not be a disaster. Too many of them lately already. <G> I'll try to talk to a manager and at least with your help I know what questions to ask now.

martha

Martha

Doubletree prides itself in being ADA compliant. Let the manager know that if you find them to be truly accessible, you will post the info on a disability website to share the info. Likewise, please post to let us know if you run into any difficulties.

P.S. Be prepared that the coffee pot and in room snacks will be out of hubbies reach. If you ask in advance they will make them accessible. Also, get a room with a single king bed in the bedroon vs. two doubles. The two doubles makes the room less accessible.

Enjoy what I hope will be a pleasant night away from home!

Cheesecake

Well, the manager was certainly nice and accomodating. Now I'll see how it goes Saturday when we get there and let you know. Thanks again for your help!

Another stupid question. Off Topic. I am one of "those" people with only white and black in their closet. This is a wedding we're attending so I can't wear white. Is black totally unacceptable at weddings? I haven't been to one in years so I'm totally out of touch. Help!!!!

martha

Wedding

Martha,
    Do you have clothes to mix for the wedding, ie. white or pink blouse with a black suite? I have seen black worn to wedding in recent years but usually offst by a different colored shirt or blouse. To me, what is important is that you are attending and not what you are wearing. Now, if you hated the groom and your attire was a statment about how you felt about the marriage, then it might matter, but who cares? In the scheme of life is it important?
    Go, enjoy, kick your heels up and have a blast!!! That is what matters.

Glad the manager at Doubletree was accomondating. A suggestion, try to meet the individual when you are there and if there are changes that need to be made to the facility, give the manager personal feedback. Be sure to get their business card and email. After your trip, post a review and forward it on to the manager as
    well as Doubletree.

Have a WONDERFUL weekend.

First Impressions

We arrived at the Doubletree at Campbell Center in Dallas. Everyone is GREAT! The bathroom door is WIDE and opens outwards. The bathroom is also wide and very well arranged for easy transfer from chair to tub (we brought our own tub chair so can't comment on theirs) and for access to the sink. If a DA person wanted to actually use the toilet (which is raised) it might be an awkward transfer, I'm not sure since husband doesn't do that.

The room is wide with a lot of space to transfer from bed to chair or to roll up to the desk to work. The shelf with coffee pot and ice bucket could be a little lower, but he can reach it from his chair. Closet rods are low enough. Thermostat is accessible.

I'm not sure how things would work for a quad, as I'm just not experienced with the "reach" one has in that situation. But for a high level para, it's working out just fine.

Now if we can only find the church for the wedding. <G>

martha

Wow!!

Martha,
    Glad it is working ok for you! Now dance the evening away and enjoy your time away. Having a room that works for you, makes the stay that much more enjoyable! Be sure to tell the management to keep up the good work! While accessibility is the law...we all know that reality is totally different. And doesn't the great attitude of the hotel make a big difference?