Thread: Skiing!

Skiing!

Went skiing yesterday up in Breckenridge, CO. An awesome experience. The BOEC (Breckenridge Outdoor Education Center)has a great program for all levels of physical challenges. I'm C6-7 but was able to utilize a monoski with outrigger hand/arm skis. By the 6th run, I had it pretty wired. Going back next week. Btw, Breckenridge has accessible lodging as well.

For more info check out www.boec.org and look for the adaptive ski program. Also available in Vail, Winter Park CO. - under seperate programs.

Incidentally, BOEC also has the nation's first, and I believe only, wheelchair accessible ropes course. That's right ropes course. Coolest thing you ever saw. Also, whitewater rafting, kayaking, canoeing. Great people.

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I'm glad you had fun chris! I went skiing for the first time a couple of weeks back and it was great fun!! A little scary when the boat turned around and I had to go over the 'wake' or '
    wash' I think its called, but I cant wait to go back again....holy cow my arms were dead for the next couple of days though!

ooops, I just clicked onthat link and realised you were talking about snow skiing. I havent done that but maybe someday

Skiing

Chris,

as I'm new to these forums, I'll be feeling my way for a while, but fully concur with your comments on skiing.

I'm an incomplete (some sensory and little movement) L1 para since 1985. I've been skiing mostly in the French/Swiss Alps for the past 7 years using a mono ski bob. It certainly is a form of complete craziness but great freedom and what an adrenaline rush!! When I started, ski-bobs were not very common, but so many centres both in the US and Europe are rising to the challenge of teaching people with a wide range of disabilities to ski.

My web site http://www.brcannell.co.uk has more info of some things that are possible if you want them enough. I also fly light aircraft and microlights (Ultralights in the US), scuba dive and have freefall parachuted in Jordan sine my accident.

If any one wants to chat, please feel free to email me.

If you want it - Go for it!

skiing

http://www.vermontadaptive.org/index.shtml this is a real good program in VT that offers skiing to people at all levels.

Disabled Ski Team

If you happen to watch ESPN there was a great program this weekend about the U.S. Disabled Olympic Ski Team.

Male, Female. Paras, quads, amputees, blind. Amazing athletes.

Check it out at: www.usskiteam.com