Thread: Goin on an adventure!

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico

Goin on an adventure!

Hi all. I've never posted to this board and suppose its time to introduce myself. My name is Rick Goldstein. I'm a c5/6 quad, 23-years post- injury resulting from a cliff-diving accident here in Tucson in 1978. I did the rehab gig at Rusk in '78-'79 afterwhich I was "drafted" on to the board of directors of the Paralysis Cure Research Foundation. I was its youngest director at age 23. PCRF later merged with Kent Waldrep's group and, for some reason I fail to recall, I went my separate way.

During the early 80's I had the good fortune of meeting and working with many great and well-meaning scientists. I don't know if you remember me, Wise, but we met on a number of occasions at PCRF-sponsored research events and, I believe, at NYU. I participated in research in various capacities, including guinea pig, starting with an anterior decompression performed by Dr. Kao at Georgetown, followed by DMSO therapy with Stan Jacob in Portland, and clonidine with Eric Naftchi at NYU. Eric and I became friends and I engaged in fund-raising efforts on his behalf. I did the same with Harry Goldsmith and Harry Demopolous.

At some point, I had made the decision to "go on with my life", not having cure as a prerequisite to my happiness. I returned to Tucson where I built a successful contracting and real estate development company which I ran from 1986 until 1998. At our peak in the mid-90's we were doing in excess of $6 million a year in revenues.

I also owned a telecommunications company which opened up the whole resale of telecom services industry following the divestiture of AT&T in 1984. I was instrumental in the development and subsequent passage of the Arizona resale tarriff (initially the Goldstein tarriff)which was eventually adopted by the FCC as the national standard.

In 1998, I began daytrading stocks and loved it so much, I retired from the construction industry to pursue trading full-time. I've just recently acquired my Series 7, General Securities license with the SEC. I intend to continue trading, however, with the advent of recent technologies, I've decided to take it on the road.

I am about to embark on a real adventure! My house is on the market and as soon as it sells, we're off. (If anybody's looking for a magnificent 3500 sq.ft. 4 b/r, 4 bath home, with views to die for, in Tucson, AZ, don't hesitate to let me know......pics at http://www.tucsonre.com/homes/4524rockcliff.shtml)
    We're driving south where we'll spend a month in Puerto Vallerta, Mexico, then a month in Acupulco, then another month in Antigua, Guatamala. Then on through El Salvador, Nicuaragua and Honduras into Costa Rica where we'll spend another month or two. From Northern Panama we'll ferry across the Carribean to Cartagena, Columbia, drive across Columbia into Equador (hopefully drop in on Carl Kao while we're there), head on down into Peru, Chile and Argentina. I figure it'll take about a year and a half to get that far, and then, who knows what.

I plan on turning on the camcorder the moment we leave and video-journaling the entire adventure, uploading it to a website so family and friends can join in the fun. I'm also researching opportunities with respect to exporting native arts and crafts back to the States as a potential business.

If any of you have any input to add to my adventure plan, I'd love to hear from you.

Sounds like a great time, you need a side kick? Have fun!

what a trip! What kind of vehicle will you be using for the trip (rv,van,car? It sounds inviting, but I don't have the balls as of yet to try something like that.

I am also a day trader (maybe not a day trader, but I trade alot). I was a broker (series 3, 6, 7, 8, 24, 65) for about 10 years before my accident. I still love the stock market, even though it has not been as kind to most as of late. I went on a cruise in the Caribbean about a year before my accident and it just about drove me crazy not having access to a phone or a computer for Market updates from the boat (it was $15 per min for phone calls from the ship and I am way to cheap for that).

Wow!

Sounds like a real adventure, esp. for someone in a chair. I have a few suggestions since just returned from South America (southern areas):

Enjoyed Santiago, Chile. Good wineries nearby, friendly people, inexpensive. Weather and much of the terrain is like Southern California.

Plan to spend some time in the lake country of Chile. The fully paved Pan American Highway ends in Puerto Montt, which is this area. It is beautiful area which is popular as a vacation spot for people from Chile and Argentina. Reminds me of Bavaria or Switzerland with lakes, snow capped mountains (and volcanos), rushing rivers and waterfalls, extensive dairy farms, and was settled by many Germans in the 1800s. When we were in Puerto Varas (nearby to Puerto Montt) we even found a hotel (Hotel Cabanas del Lago) which said they had wheelchair accessible rooms. Here is a local website:
    http://www.puertovaraschile.cl/english.htm
    There is a famous trip you can take from here across the Andes into Argentina via a series of lakes via bus and boat that is supposed to be spectacular.

Take a ferry trip through at least some of the Chilean fjords. Remote and beautiful, with no roads or towns. I am told the ferries are pretty primative, so would limit it to a day trip if possible.

If you go all the way south to the straits of Magellan to Punta Arenas, Chile you can go from there to Torres del Paine National Park via train (not fully accessible). There are many tours available. This is part of Patagonia and many trekers take off from here.

If you go all the way across Terra del Fuego (dirt road much of the way) you can go to Ushuaia, Argentina which is the southern-most city in the world. It is on the beautiful Beagle Channel which is a long spectacular fjord-like channel protected from the ocean, and many miles of snow-capped mountains and glaciers. It is cold here, even in summer, and would not attempt driving this far south in the winter.

We found cyber-cafe's and internet stations all over South America for very reasonable prices, so if you go, log on here frequently and keep us up to date with your trip!

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico

Replies to KLD, Carl R. , Rustyjames

Originally posted by Rustyjames:

Sounds like a great time, you need a side kick? Have fun!
    LOL, Ya never know... We'll see how my ol' lady's behaving between now and when i'm ready to leave; May be lookin for a trade-in.

Originally posted by Carl R:
    What kind of vehicle will you be using for the trip (rv,van,car?

I am also a day trader (maybe not a day trader, but I trade alot). I was a broker (series 3, 6, 7, 8, 24, 65) for about 10 years before my accident. I still love the stock market, even though it has not been as kind to most as of late. I went on a cruise in the Caribbean about a year before my accident and it just about drove me crazy not having access to a phone or a computer for Market updates from the boat (it was $15 per min for phone calls from the ship and I am way to cheap for that).
    Well Carl, I'm still researching what options are available insofar as internet access and trading from abroad. I know that internet cafes are abundant and KLD confirmed that in her post following yours. That will probably be adequate in locations where I decide to spend some time, i.e: weeks or more, though I'm not sure what kind of connection speeds I'll be dealing with. I think its probably safe to assume DSL is out of the question...LOL...

I've found a few options for reasonably priced satellite phone and service and we all know that, if anything, they'll be even cheaper as time passes. Check out http://www.satellite-phones-direct.com/index.html

I bought a 1983 Ford Econoline 3/4-ton van. It only has 78,000 original miles on it as it was previously owned by a little old lady who, over 17 years, only drove it to church once a week and to the grocery store now and then. I'm raising the roof on it and making the interior real cozy with a new fold-out bed, captain's chairs, etc. Came with a Goldenboy lift; I had hand controls and wheelchair lockdown installed.. As its 18 years old now, it shouldn't be difficult finding parts for it or keeping it tuned up as there's no fancy-schmancy computerized crap or fuel-injection; just a good old-fashioned carburator. Also shouldn't pose a whole lot of incentive for thieves to steal it either.

KLD: Thx so much for your post. I printed it out and am keeping it in my Chile folder. I enjoyed the puerto vare link. Everytime I see pictures of these places I'm only chomping at the bit all the more. If you have any additional suggestions, PLEASE let me know. My plan for this adventure is basically, not to have a plan, and go wherever the wind happens to take me. I am, however, trying to load up on as much knowledge as possible about every possible place I could end up so I don't miss anything should I end up there.

[This message was edited by Rick Goldstein on December 16, 2001 at 04:08 PM.]

Internet stations

Since we were gone only 17 days, I decided to take an internet "holiday" too, but the places we walked by had connection fees advertised anywhere from $1-5 per hour, depending on the country you are in, and in the larger cities downtown we found them about every block. Should have no trouble finding them. Even in Ushuaia we saw at least 4 in a 8 block area. Not sure about the connection rates, but at these prices it is reasonable unless you are living on-line.