Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holland America Recognized as Best Cruise Line for Physically Challenged

Have you been on these?

We're looking into another cruise this Fall. Right now the only two that leave the Port of Balttimore are the Carnival Legend and the Celebrity Horizon. Anyone have experience witth either ship? I called both lines and the one thing missing that we both loved on the Norwegian Sun were rooms with verandas that were also HP. I can live without the veranda but my husbnad loves that part! Well...I did too, I guess. We take along binoculars and a camera for birds and other ships.

The Celebrity line goes by square feet and it's rooms appear large enough although without the veranda. Carnival was no help at all and I'll call them back to see if they have someone more helpful. Celebrity does have a walkway that goes out tto tenders at Belize and Cocobay Cay their own island. So all the western Carribean is supposedly accessible. So please, any pointers on these 2 ships? Maybe a good place where we can hang outside and watch the ocean flow by that's not in the room? And how formal is formal for a wheeler at dinners? TIA.

I was on the Horizon last October leaving out of Philadelphia to Bermuda. It's my understanding the ship usually sails out of New York but was moved because of 9/11. There's only four accessible rooms and they are on the fifth deck. The rooms are fantastic, very spacious, sleep 3-one by bunk bed-and have a large bath with plenty room. They will also provide a shower chair if requested. If Celebrity operates all there cruises like they do on the Horizon, I highly recommend them, the food and service was excellent. I should add that the gang-plank action could use alot of improvement though and not all decks are easy access, but the crew is more than helpful, sometimes to the extent of being to helpful.

Celebrity

Have not been on the Horizon, but our experience on Celebrity (Zenith) was one of our very best cruising experiences, and our accessible cabin amoung the best we have ever had. Didn't miss the veranda as we were in the cabin very little except to sleep. Lots of accessible deck space outdoors in other areas. Celebrity is owned by Carnival, but is their more "up-scale" line.

Dress for wheelers at formal nights is no different than for ABs. My mother (who is in a chair) has a black chiffon skirt she wears for all formal nights, and several different dressy tops (sequined, etc.). I do pretty much the same, but prefer velveteen slacks. Men wear either dark suits or a tux or dinner jacket. Some ships will rent the tux which makes it easy as you don't have to pack and unpack it or carry in your luggage. I love the way a may looks in a tux!

"Informal" is more like what you might wear for a formal wedding or dressy dinner meeting here. A jacket and tie are usually required for men. "Casual" generally is similar to day wear except no shorts or jeans (generally not T-shirts), and many men wear a sports shirt (no tie) and sports jacket, although the jacket is usually optional.

KLD,

When we wre docked in Hamilton, Bermuda, the Zenith was also there, it's exactly the same as the Horizon. This was my first cruise so I really can't be a good judge of cruise lines, but Celebrity really does a good job of providing a pleasant experience.

When I read the dress code for Celebrity, KLD, it specified evening gown or cocktail dress. I was thinking of a womans tux or velvet slacks and a sequined top. But we are now going to do a 6 day to Bermuda in October round trip from Baltimore. No flying and lugging bags! And the ship is the new Legend that just left dry dock in Helsinki and will go into service in August. Carnival also has casual restaurants so if I can't convince (ok, nag to death) my husband to get into a tux we'll survive. The poor guy lives in dark suits most the year and really just wants to relax, eat, drink and read. I plan on a shopping spree at Nordstrom's myself... $$$$$$$$

Oh and the accessible staterooms have balconies, big ones! But no doctor's notice that you are disabled is required. Just fill out a sheet that specifies the size of the wheechair and any restrictions.