Thread: Captains Chairs Stuck

Captains Chairs Stuck

I need help from anyone who has a conversion van, my captains chairs are stuck! I had the removable captains chairs moved to where the sofa was when my van went for it's w/c adaption last month. That was so there would be room for my husband's power chair and up to 2 other passengers, all we would have to do is remove one of the 2 seats to fit my hubby's chair in. Well we tried to remove one of the chairs yesterday with no luck, following the directions that came with the van when I bought it word for word. I called the shop that did the w/c part and they said they used the same seat bases that came in the van, all they did was change where they were located, per my request. Can anyone give me some direction as to what to try next? My van is a Ford E150, with the Tuscany converstion package. I'm sure it's something we're doing wrong, maybe we're not holding our mouths quite right or something like that. My husband is convinced that the w/c shop changed something, not what he's doing.
    The bottom line is that unless we can get that seat out there's not enough room in the van for both of our power chairs, and he's talking about taking out the seat, base and all. We've already had a tense discussion about how the hand controls are mounted in it, perfect for my use but in his way, unlike the ones in my older van. He refuses to use the hand controls,"he's just fine driving with his left foot"! So if anyone has any suggestions I'm about ready to try anything, even doing the chicken dance!

Linda H.

Have the conversion place show you that they still are removeable. If they can't prove that they are still removeable then they should have to fix them. They should have tested it before they gave the van back to you so if the seats are truely stuck then it is there fault. Hope this helps!

I'm going to try it again today, and if I can't get it out I'll be going to the Ford dealer where I bought the van Monday to get them to show me what we're doing wrong. I would go to my w/c conversion shop but it's a 6 hour round trip, and unless I know for sure they've messed them up I don't want to have to go there.

Linda H.

i had captain chairs in my astro van, they had 2 big bolts that held them in place on the plate mounted in the floor, once they were out you had to give the base of the chair a whack with a hammer to free the seat, its like a keyhole fit, and needs a nudge to get dislodged,,,

That's the way the seats are in my old van. This system has a latch under the front of the seat, you're supposed to be able to pull the handle up, and then slide the seat back and out. Anyway that's how it's supposed to work,lol. I'd get the sledge hammer out of the shop and give it a couple of good wacks, but some low lifes broke into our shop in the wee hours Sunday morning and stole all of our tools. The only stuff they didn't take was a broken chainsaw, a miter box saw, and a wrench. They got us for somewhere inbetween $8000 & $10,000's worth of tools, they even stole our heavey duty drop cords. To say I feel sick right now is about as nice as I can put it. The police said there's no evidence in the shop that they can use, so we're screwed royally!!!

It had to be someone who knows us, it appears that they knew where everything was, hell we had 2 chainsaws, and they only took the new one. The broken one wasn't even moved! The power miter box saw is marked in a hidden area and it was never moved! They even took my DH's homopathic stress medicine. Heaven help the person(s)who did it if we ever catch up with them, they'll find out what it means to have 2 pissed off crips lay a BIG can of whoop ass on them. Please pardon my language, but I desperately needed to vent some of my anger before I go to bed.

Linda H.