Thread: Baclofen and valium

Baclofen and valium

Why do some ppl. take baclofen and valium. I take baclofen 20 mg. twice a day. I think valium would have a better effect on my bladder and spincter, it seems when I drink alot of water it doesn't go though me that quick, if I take 5 mg. valium the water passes alot quicker. The past year my spasms have been very erratic, some days I feel like mush and the next day I can't even open my hands, this mostly happens when i'm voiding. I have see that silly dilly urologist this thurs.
    i got cystitis again, 9 months after his sphinterotomy.

Baclofen is a cause of constipation and so your body probably sucks up water like a sponge. Valium is not normally as drying and so water heads to the bladder. Valium can also help some sphincter tightness in people with a bit of bladder wall control and mainly need to learn how to relax and go again instead of using force and go techniques.

Also, if by cystitis you mean painful bladder spasms with no bacteria, you might try asking to try Levsin. It's a pill you dissolve under your tongue and it works quickly on the pain without the problems of pyridium (like false postives and false negatives on UTI tests). It can cause some constipation though but with the small amount taken (0.125 mg) it's normally very transit.

baclofen and valium

tvot - There are several classes of medications that can be used for managing spasticity. The most commonly used is baclofen, an antispasmodic, however, other classes of medications have been found to be beneficial. These latter medications, such as valium, (often used as an antianxiety medication) have been found to have properties of muscle relaxation or when used in combination with antispasmodic meds, can enhance or improve the desired antispasmodic outcome.

Have you discussed your observations re: your ability to void following taking valium with your doctor? Are you having some AD with voiding? Have you had any urodynamic studies done, as it sounds as though you may be having some bladder dysnergia? I would urge you to discuss this with you doctor/urologist. If you are having dysnergia, this needs to be assessed to determine what your bladder pressures are and whether you are experiencing any reflux (back pressure and flow into the ureters) and then an appropriate treatment plan. CRF

[This message was edited by SCI-Nurse on Apr 13, 2002 at 11:17 PM.]

One thing I did tell my urologist is my bladder pressure is very low, when voiding the urine stream goes out about 6 or 12 inches at most, he didn't seem to think it was a problem.
    One other question, do all SCI void better when laying in bed, when I'm cooped up in bed for a day or two when ever I drink it is past very fast compared to sitting up for the day.

baclofen and valium

tvot - internal bladder pressures must be determined by urodynamic studies. Have these ever been done on you since your injury? I don't know how far post injury you are, but it is advised that these be done every 1 or 2 years, depending on the baseline findings.

Generally, when one is in bed, the circulation does not have to overcome the effects of gravity as when sitting. Thus, cirulatory flow is better, more excess fluids are removed from the tissues and then excreted through the urine. I don't know what your bladder management method is, but you should be sure when you are sitting that there are no kinks, etc in any of your tubing and that the urine flows in a direct/straight line to the drainage bag. i.e. there should be no loops that would cause the urine to drain uphill. CRF