Thread: Need Advice - Excessive cold sweat

Need Advice - Excessive cold sweat

I am a T3/4 complete para 1 year and 2 months post and from 2 weeks to now, I started sweating a lot below level of injury. It's a cold sweat mainly in belly region and right leg.
    Does anyone have any ideia of what can be happening or what could be done to stop it?

Thanks in advance.

[This message was edited by Fernando on Apr 07, 2002 at 05:52 PM.]

Sweating

Fernando, I moved your topic to the Care forum as this type of question fits better there than at the Caregivers forum (which is really for family caregivers and attendants primarily).

Two things to check.

Are you having other symptoms of autonomic dysreflexia? Generally AD causes you to sweat above the level of injury, but it is not unheard of to sweat below the level of injury.

Does it occur when you are in certain positions (such as only when lying down, or only on your left side)? The second thing that always occurs to me when someone tells me they are sweating below their level of injury is that they may have a syrinx. This should be ruled out.

Sometimes people SCI do sweat below their level of injury and both AD and a syrinx are ruled out. There is medication that can help with these, but both these other conditions should be ruled out first.

(KLD)

Nurse,

I don't have any other sympthom of AD but it is true that I sweat more when I sit than when I lie down on my bed.
    What should I do?

P.S . Sorry, but what is syrinx?

Thanks for your help.

Syrinx

A syrinx (also called secondary syringomyelia) is a fluid-filled cyst inside the spinal cord. Most people have a small one at their level of spinal cord damage, but for a few people they can start to grow either up or down the cord (or both). If they grow up the cord, they can cause further neurologic damage. The best way to diagnose one is an MRI.

If this is occuring when you sit, it would also be important to re-evaluate your sitting pressures and poster, as AD from sitting can commonly occur due to everything from sitting on your testicles to the wrong wheelchair cushion.

(KLD)

Well Nurse. Tks for the fast response but I don't think it's cause of sitting im my testicles or similar such bad posture problems 'cause I use to take good care in relation to these things.
    However, do you think these problems mentioned can appear in such recent SCI (1 year and 2 months) as mine?
    And, once again, sorry for language misunderstandings of my part but what's a MRI?

Thank you.

While it is more common for a syrinx to take some time to develop, I have seen them cause symptoms as early as 5 months post injury. Just last month one of my clients who was newly injured just a year ago was diagnosed using similary symptoms to yours to trigger our suspicions.

An MRI is magnetic resonance imaging.

(KLD)

I am similar to you T4 complete ,injured 1/30/01...14 months ago and sweat below my injury line.Sometimes my uper body is very cold and my legs are sweating so much that my sweat pants are damp,especially my lower legs. i did have an MRI and ther is nothing there.I just figure it is part of this curse put on us