Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ditropan?

Ditropan?

Ok had a problem with leaking pee really bad the past 4 days.

Just took my first dose of Ditropan(spelling) how long does it take to wrok? when can i take off this leg bag and go back to my evey 3-4hre cathing program??
    Help
    Crash

Ditropan

How much are you taking? Generally if you are on the right dose it should be effective within 24 hours. Regular Ditropan must be taken 3-4X daily, while the XL (extended release) version can usually be taken just once.

(KLD)

Ditropan...

Thanks for your reply KLD..Im on OXYBUTYNIN 5mg,2x a day...Its generic for Ditropan...so when will it start to work?
    tahnk you
    carsh

Not enough

sounds like you should be taking the 5mgs more like 4x per day and try that, main drawback, dry mouth.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

dry mouth

geesh im takin it 2x a day adn my mouth gets SO dry...I hate it! illask my dr if i should up the dosage or what?

ditropan

crashgirl246 - the onset of the response to oxybutynin should be no different than to ditropan. It is absorbed rapidly from the GI tract with onset of action in 3 to 6 hours and peak effect in 6 to 10 hours. Due to the drying effect, mouth care is particularly important; if you remain on this medication over time, you should increase your dental visits to a minimum of at least 2 times a year. Saliva actually acts to cleanse our gums and teeth of harmful bacteria (that lead to tooth decay); when meds reduce salivary production, this important action is lost.

If you are not getting a good response after 1 to 2 days on the medication, you should contact your urologist. Were you evaluated for a UTI prior to starting this medication? CRF

Yo, Crashgirl!

I've posted exhaustively regarding intravesicular Ditropan (oxybutynin) -- instilling a Ditropan solution directly into the bladder.

Do a search under my name and read up. This may be an option for you. It's made the most dramatic difference in my post-SCI life!

Ditropan

well thast good to know becaseu im tired of htis leg bag and bed bag at night. maybe tonight i will go solo...and pray for no accidents.

Ya this dry mouth really sucks. i was told on friday i had a UTI (not bad though the count was about 50,000 and 75,000-usually they treat when the count is at 100,000) so i got put on Cipro on Friday. and Sat i took my first dosage of Ditropan.
    So its been since sat am that i started. so i think i can take it out tonight adn try it...
    wish me luck
    tahnk you for your replies

ditropan

crashgirl246 - Are you drinking a good amount of fluids daily? You should be drinking about 8 - 8oz glasses of water or other fluids daily. This amount should be exclusive of any caffeinated or alcoholic beverages as both act as a diuretic and will deplete your body of needed fluid balance. Carbonated beverages/soda pop also is high in sugar, which should be avoided when you have an UTI, as this reduces your body's capacity to fight an infection. If you suspect a UTI, you should increase beyond this amount your fluid intake. It helps dilute the urine, flushing your kidneys and bladder; this also reduces the adherence of bacteria within the bladder. CRF

Crashgirl,
    Be advised that as great as intravesicular ditropan has been (for me, anyway), its effectiveness is greatly compromised in the presence of UTI.