Thread: profuse sweating

profuse sweating

I am 5 months into my injury. I have a condition that no one can seem to figure out. This started about 10 weeks ago, right before I came home from the rehabilitation hospital. I am experiencing profuse sweating on the right side of my body. This only happens when I am sitting upright in my chair and not while lying down. This is severely hampering my life and any progress I can make in rehab due to the intense cold I feel during this sweating. I am not having headaches and my blood pressure seems fine. I did have a severe UTI about a month ago but have been on prophylactic antibiotics and do not seem to be having problems that way. Please, if anyone has seen or heard of anything of this, please tell me what can be done. My therapists have said they have never seen anyone sweat as profusely as I do. I have gotten to the point where I am afraid to go outside to do anything and when I do take the plunge and actually do something I am miserable the entire time. HELP!!

Gosh, I know how miserable it can get. You're experiencing autonomic dysreflexia which is a disruption of the autonomic nervous system caused by noxious stimuli below the level of injury. It's most often seen in cervical injuries but can occur in anyone with a T6 or above injury.

If you're sweating on your right side only, the stimuli may be coming from your left side, this is the case with me anyway. Do a careful check of your left foot, is it positioned right, are your toes balled inside your shoes, are they too tight, is there swelling or a pressure sore anywhere, did you sustain a fracture or break in your left hip or leg. There's a reason you're sweating, your body is trying to tell you that something is very wrong. No one should have to endure chronic AD, take comfort in knowing that it is something that can be remedied.

[This message was edited by seneca on Mar 28, 2002 at 03:36 PM.]

There's a reason you're sweating, your body is trying to tell you that something is very wrong. No one should have to endure chronic AD, take comfort in knowing that it is something that can remedied.
    In agree with Seneca. Try to look back over the weeks since this has started happening. If it's only happening while sitting in the wheelchair as you state try another chair and see if sitting position makes a difference.

As a twenty four year t2/t3 SCI I have found that there are different degrees of dysreflexia for me. Sometimes reading the "textbook definition" it is written as though you will have all symptoms or you are not having dysreflexia. I know for me it isn't so.

I can get the sweats and clammy from a crease in my pants crimping my skin, tight fitting shoes , my bladder being disdended etc, keep looking again I agree with Senaca that something is up but you can probably find the cause and that should remedy your situation.

Good luck,
    Paul

The smallest discomfort, even a breeze from the wrong direction, seems to trigger sweating for me. No headache. No change in blood pressure. I had to take a towel to rehab.

I started Ditripan for bladder spasms. As a wonderful side effect, the sweating stopped. I can tell when I would have sweat because my scalp tingles/itches like it does when you sweat, but the waterworks are off. I still sweat or feel clammy if I'm late taking the pills.

[This message was edited by rtr on Mar 28, 2002 at 08:49 PM.]

night sweats

You might be looking at heterotrophic ossification. Or another condition that causes night sweats can be nerve root damage below the injury level...

Pathology of Failed Back Surgical Syndrome:
    The Lesions That Cause the Pain

JAMES ZUCHERMAN, MD JEROME
    SCHOFFERMAN, MD
    St. Mary's Spine Center, San Francisco, CA

REFLEX SYMPATHETIC DYSTROPHY

Reflex sympathetic dystrophy is a rare occurrence in the postoperative patent.[1,2] It is associated with nerve root irritation or damage in all of the cases that we have seen. The reflex sympathetic dystrophy seems to be a secondary response to the somatic pain of a root lesion, causing great escalation in its intensity. Temperature changes, sweating, and burning of the lower extremities suggest this diagnosis. The diagnosis can be confirmed by monitoring skin temperature before and after a sympathetic block. The patient should have relief of sympathetic symptoms at the same time skin temperature elevation indicates chemical sympathectom