Thread: Antibiotics: 10 Days or 7 Days???

Antibiotics: 10 Days or 7 Days???

My new Doc only gives me 7 day of Antibiotics, my old Doc always gave me 10 days. Who right?

My son usually gets a 7 day course for UTIs; but for other infections (ear infection, tonsillitis, etc. I think the course is 10 days). I asked his urologist at Kessler about the difference, and he said the 7 day course is now the accepted time of treatment for UTIs.

Antibiotics: how many days

Norm - It sounds as there are differing practices re: UTI management. KLD, who works at a large facility, says the accepted practice at her institution is 10 days of antibiotics for SCI-related UTI's. The important aspect of antibiotic treatment is to always complete the full prescription; do not stop it just because symptoms may be abating. This latter practice can result in the development of resistant strains of bacteria.

Do you find after 7 days of a prescription that you are symptom free for weeks to months or do you have another UTI within a short period (10 days to 2 weeks) of time after the medication is completed? If UTI's are frequent and close together, then the questions become, "Should I be on a 10 - 14 day course of antibiotics?" "Should there be a culture and sensitivity done on a urine sample at the completion of the first full course of antibiotics?" There are people who need aggressive UTI, as well as other infections, management programs. CRF

I get Utis all the time, its to hard to say if which is more effective 10 or 7. I just wanted to know if there was a standard for SCI, that was different than able bodied persons.

It depends- on the organism and if it is the same organisms or recurrent. We are doing research which currently shows that most of the 5 days is usually enough.We are trying to prevent resistance to antibiotics and the theory to prove is?- does giving too much or not enough lead to resistance?CWO

I had heard years ago it was suppose to be 14 days for SCI people.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    I had heard years ago it was suppose to be 14 days for SCI people.
    I've never heard of a separate protocol for people with SCI. Given how under-researched most things are, having a guideline carve-out for SCIs seems highly dubious.

Even the 7-day vs. 10-day guideline debate strikes me as guesswork. I had one neuro-urologist years ago who instructed me to take abx to treat a UTI only to the point that my symptoms cleared, so this could be just a few days. It was considered a new approach at the time.

From a CYA perspective, I could see physicians recommending a 10-day course of abx as a general rule. Problem is, the guideline seems to apply to generally regardless of the age or relative strength of the patient's immune system.

Bottom line: Too many variables to draw any definite conclusions.

i always end up with a 14 day course.
    mitochondrial disease complex 1 deficiency, suspected HSP
    type 3 ehlers danlos syndrome w/ type 1 overlap, g and j tubes
    aspergers & friends
    survivor of 2 TIA strokes