Thread: Bladder aug surgery

Bladder aug surgery

Having only hung out here about a month, I haven't seen anyone mention undergoing or considering bladder augmentation surgery. Scott had it done in Dec 95 at Piedmont/Shepherd in Atlanta. It's been great for him.

Any of you out there? Do you know what I'm talking about?

Bladder Aug.

Marcomo, I am a t-4 para of 18 yrs. I had the surgery at Rush Presb. Hospital in Chicago, 3 yrs ago. I was having bladder problems way before the surgery, probably around 16 yrs of leaking... I waited as long as I did to have the surgery because I was told by my doctor that I should not have anymore children after the Augmentation...

The surgery has improved my mental aswell as my physical health... No more leaking, I can go 6 to 8 hours between cathing... I used to have go cath every 2 hours, even with all the cathing I would still leak.. I also have only had a couple of uti's since. The doctor said my bladder before the surgery was only the size of a tennis ball...

I had a bad reaction to all the antibotics that I had to take the night before surgery... About the 2nd day after surgery I had a really bad case of hives and was iching terribly... I cant feel below my breasts and so I can honestly say that the hives were worse than the surgery itself... I stayed in the hospital 7 days and had to use an indwelling cath for 4 to 6 weeks after surgery to let my new bladder heal... I did leak alittle atfirst but as time went by my bladder began to adjust and life has been alot easier now... No more diapers, no more leaking... Good luck... Anna

Scott's been extremely pleased w/his BA as well. He wore an internal catheter for about 3 years, had numerous and very serious UTIs, and learned that his bladder had atrophied to the size and texture of a walnut. The surgery was rough and so was the recovery, but well, well worth it. He's so much more independent w/o all the hardware he used to have attached to him.

I must say, too, as a woman, I'm quite jealous of you. What I wouldn't given to have a new bladder that can hold 1000 ccs!! Especially when you're traveling w/a man who has said bladder.

Anyone else interested in the surgery, etc., I'm sure you can find all the info you want in this forum.