Thread: Suspension Chairs

Suspension Chairs

I am looking in to purchasing a suspension wheelchair. There are a few out on the market and I wondered if others have opinions good or bad with brands and models.

I have a Quickie XTR with the "Rock Shox". It doesn't really work for me. Several features , 88 degree footrest , short wheel base and lack of adjustment options have made me say I need to move on to something that will work. ( I have fallen twice and sustained five fractures also terrible customer servce/support)

I am a t2/t3 Para 24 years post injury. I want something that is comfortable and functional and it doesn't have to be the coolest chair on the block but one that suits my needs.

One last thought for all that I don't care for about the Quickie XTR it has made me a believer that the suspension chairs can do a lot to reduce back pain.

Thanks for any input,
    ChesBay

I'm getting a TiSport chair

I understand that Titanium is a natural absorber to shock and really smooths out the ride. On top of that getting the Frogs legs option on the front end which will also help out.

Expensive, but might be worth it to look into. heres the site. www.tisport.net good luck.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I used a E&J vision barracuda for the last two years. And I had frog legs on the front. On the plus side the E&J is a long and stable chair and the titanium and carbon fibre used in the frame help reduce weight added by the suspension. However, I recently (december) got a Halls Hallmark custom fit chair. The high quality and craftsmanship of the chair make this nonsuspension chair ride smoother than my suspension chair ever did or could. Plus, I think the hallmark was less costly than the barracuda. The hallmark is high grade aluminum, not titanium as in the tisports. I managed to get the sales reps for ti sport to admit that their titanium chairs actually are not lighter than the high grade of aluminum used in the hallmark. So, I think both companies make a great product and it is based on your call as to which style of chair you prefer, as they have very different looks. Bottom line, these custom chairs (in my limited experience) are smoother than a suspension chair. And as for froglegs, make sure you have the option to take them off if they don't work out for you. And try the chair with them off as well as on.

jp

I have both a quickie XTR and a TiLite Tr the Ti does not have nearly as much vibe relief as the XTR but the lighter weight and smaller frame make my Ti my normal everyday chair.

btw I am a T8

thanks

Some good suggestions. From reading some other comments on "wheelchairjunkie.com" both brands mentioned here get high marks. I am looking in to gathering information.

Thanks for the input,
    Paul

suspension chairs

Paul - Two other websites that may be helpful:

www.spinlife.com and www.abledata.com The latter site is a national database of assistive technologies and rehab equipment; it is a project of the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research. CRF

suspension chairs

Hi Paul,

May I strongly advise you to go for the Colours Boing! wheelchair. The good item on this chair is that's totally adjustable but, if you want this, they will weld it to your sizes. The chair has an independant suspension and triangle system, more or less like a car.

The system will always follow the road and is not only rectangular working as the XTR or the Terminator SS from Invacare. For myself, T12, it works very good and right now I'm using my third Boing and will never get another only if Colours will improve it( hardly possible ).

Go to their side and have a look. colourswheelchair.com and ask for John Box.

If you get, let me know if you like it.

Jacques

boing

Hi Paul, I am a t-4 para and have had a Boing now for 5 yrs... I started looking into getting something else, not for any real reason. I was told by another fellow wheeler who has a Boing that he was on his 3rd chair... He told me that he liked the Boing because he had not gotten any pressure sores since he had the suspension chair. Come to think about it I only had one sore since getting the chair. I think that it has aleviated alot of back pain for me aswell... Good Luck Anna

Invacare A-6 is a popular sprung chair.