Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bathroom Needs

Bathroom Needs

Hi everyone....
    I am t6.. and less than 8 months I am getting married.. Currently I am using a chair that I can roll over the toilet, but I don't want this system when I get married.. I just want something simple. not a complete chair.....
    Any recomenditions..?
    thanks

How are your transfers? Have you ever used something like a raised toilet seat? Do you have grab bars in you bathroom? On the toilet? I am assuming you need something that will give you easy access for bowel care. Do you also cath on the toilet or in your chair? What do you use or need to use for bathing? With a little more info we might be able to make more recommendations that meet your needs.

(KLD)

Hi Beos. Congrats on your upcoming marriage. I would suggest raising the toilet from the floor, a toilet raiser. Safe and worth the cost. I have seen them available online and at stores like Menards I think it was. And if you know someone who welds, they could make you some rails/safety bars at a reasonable cost to go along each side as we did in our house...as long as they are installed correctly & safely bolted and if there is room enough to transfer over to~ this system works great here at home!

Thanks for the responses,
    I have never used a reaised toilet seat.. It seems like the best idea.... But how about the frames.. I am going to rent an apartment, so there is a chance that I won't be able to install bars aroun the restroom.. So how am I going to make my transfers to the raised seat? (my transfers are ok.) and I cath in my chair..
    thanks

They have to allow you grab bars. Its nothing a little caulk wont fix. $165 you can get a complete toilet set from Lowes then you wont need the plastic raised seat.

As Patrick wrote: complete ADA toilet is a great idea other than the floor to bottom of the toilet raiser~

Question/Opinion: Are raised toilet seats actually stable? As when I viewed some of them, I didn't see how it would be so.

As for the apartment, there are ADA rules and if otherwise, it could only improve the apartments value, etc. by having them if they are properly installed and of good quality, right?

I have a cheaper easier idea, works great for me and I'm T6 also. Get a Lumex raised padded toilet seat, it works with any toilet (and mount it sideways of course). Adjust it so it lifts off while still having a good fit on the rim of the toilet. Then others can use the same toilet, total cost roughly $90.00 depending on where you buy it from. Then head over to Home Depot and for about $30.00 get a grab bar and screw it to the wall next to the toilet (I am assuming the can is next to a wall here). Done deal, no fuss, no muss.

If you can leave it on all the time, and get someone to really screw it down for you, the Lumex raised toilet seat is very stable. I you remove the "spray skirt" (4 small screws) you can have open access for bowel care. The opening can be put in the front, back or either side. Be sure to order specifically for either an oval or round toilet bowl.

This can be combined with a Versiframe (pictured here). You can use both grab bars or (for easier transfers) just one. They can also swing up out of the way.

You can get these both at Spinlife.com

(KLD)

This should be moved over to the new Equipment forum.

(KLD)

I just had a new toilet put in 2 day's ago it's a handicapped one. It sits up 3 " higher and has a longer lid so my tailbone does not sit right on it
    will let you know after a while how it works out
    Duge

T-12 incomplete 10-3-02