Thread: Do most kidney stones pass thru a foley?

Do most kidney stones pass thru a foley?

I'm having mild to moderate kidney pain even when my bladder is empty. Because I took calcium supplements, antacids and even fibercon, all containing calcium, I think I might have a stone. I've read that most stones can be passed by dxrinking large amounts of fluid. The only way I can do this is with a foley.

Be great if lots of fluid will resolve this...

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Jeff,

The answer of course depends on the size of the stone. If the stone gets into the bladder, a urologist can easily go in and extract the stone... it can be crushed and the fragments will come out of a foley as well. Some centers use sound waves to try to dislodge a stone... If all that fails, surgery is sometimes done. If you think you have a stone, you should get a CT scan or a IV pyelogram which will show the stone and whether it is damaging the kidney. I am so sorry that hear about this and wish that there was something to do to help.

Wise.

how much?

How much calcium and fibercon are you taking? I've been taking 1000mg of calcium and 2 fibercon tablets a day for about a year with no problems. Are you drinking plenty of water throughout the day, (64oz.)or more?

Jeff, if you think you might have a kidney stone, get to el doctoro, pronto! Might this not be the reason for some of the other symptoms you've been having? Besides being a kidney stone, it could be a kidney infection, which is way more serious than a stone.

I had a kidney stone - once. I would rather be in labor, get a tooth pulled without anesthesia - I have never had that kind of pain in my life! It did pass on its own, but then again I'm a woman and our plumbing isn't as complicated as yours!

Not all stones are calcium, either; there are other types.

Stones

Stones can be in your bladder, ureter or kidney.

Bladder stones are the easiest to manage. The best way is to have them crushed or vaporized (using a laser) during a cystoscopy, which often can be an outpatient or overnight only hospital stay. If they are allowed to get too big they may require surgery. Only very tiny stones will pass through an indwelling catheter, and can clog the catheter causing bad AD and reflux.

Ureter stones often cause severe pain and AD, and if they completely block the ureter can quickly cause damage to that kidney. They often can be removed through a ureteroscopy and "basket" from below.

Kidney stones are the most difficult. Some can be dissolved by placing a tube through your side (done in radiology) and irrigating the stone with a special solution designed to dissolve it. If this does not work, then either surgery into the kidney from the flank or ESWL (electro-shock-wave-lithotripsy) is used. The latter has to be done in a specialized center.

Bacteria live in huge numbers in stones, and unless you get rid of the stone you will have repeated infections over and over with the same bacteria, even though you take antibiotics.

Stones can also cause significant bladder and ureter spasm that cannot be controlled by the use of anticholergics alone.

The best way to diagnose stones is to have an ultrasound, and if anything suspicious is found generally an IVP should be done to confirm the size, shape and location.

(KLD)

Geeez

After all this, I think it's just pressure causing my kidney pain. I've only had sharp pain when I could feel the reflux during a bladder contraction. The rest of the time it's a dull pain that comes and goes. Unfortunately, anticholinergics don't seem to work too well for me. I've been cathing every forty-five mintes today which has helped but I can't really keep that up for long.

I'll get looked at even though I've come up empty in the past as to what I should do. My last urodynamics didn't show outrageous pressure but I think it could have changed. I feel pretty good today. Just wish I had more options. I think I'll discuss a bladder enlargement with my uro. I'm not really up for major surgery but it could probably help reduce the pressure and give me some capacity.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~