Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fetal olfactory ensheathing glia transplant in Beijing, China

Fetal olfactory ensheathing glia transplant in Beijing, China

Details of this trial can be found at Cure>Brief Report of My China Trip where I describe my visit to Dr. Hongyun Huang when he was still situated at the Naval Hospital in Beijing where the first 150 patients were transplanted. In February of 2003, he moved to Capitol Hospital which encompasses the China Rehabilitation and Research Center, the largest and best rehabilitation center in China. Dr. Huang has continued to transplant the cells.

Recently, Dr. Huang indicated that he would be willing to take American patients.

Wise.

[This message was edited by Wise Young on 04-29-04 at 10:54 PM.]

re: OLN techniques;
    between dr huang in china and dr luis in lisbon, which (in your opinion/off the "record") is best & why?

I have an 18month complete T7 SCI, 45yrs & otherwise in execllent condition(former athlete)...can rehab on my own if necc (have a gym at home/etc)

thx

rvr

Both techniques have not been proven, in my opinion, to restore motor function in people with chronic spinal cord injury. Dr. Lima has been transplanting nasal mucosa into the spinal cord while Dr. Huang is injecting olfactory ensheathing glial cells isolated with olfactory bulbs of aborted fetuses. Dr. Huang has done many more patients, compared to anybody else.

I have been urging people to wait until it is more clear what the procedure is doing, whether it produces long-term and progressive improvement of function beyond the first few weeks, and what the complications of the transplantation are.

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that fetal olfactory ensheathing glia will be used anytime soon in the United States. Lima's approach is less controversial from a viewpoint of ethics but there is substantial skepticism about the use of nasal mucosa transplants. There is not enough data to say whether Lima's approach is effective.

Wise.

Because Dr. Huang gave a recent talk on his trial, there has been a profusion of postings and topics in the cure forum relating to his trial, results, and procedures. Here are the links to the topics:

My notes from Dr. Huang's lectures started by Jeff Sept 5, 2003.

OEG hype started by Paulsask on Sept 9, 2003

Any help for those with a completely transected cord? started by dax on Sept 9, 2003

question about Huangs operation started by Quadpro Sept 9, 2003

what to believe? started by Keith Sept 9, 2003

Who is going to Dr Huang for surgery? started by AO on Sept 9, 2003

More proof of OEG transplantation and its potential started by Curtis Sept 8, 2003

cost of trip?? started by davidh Sept 9, 2003

Lets move OEG Trials into the United States as soon as possible started by Curtis Sept 9, 2003

World Renowned Researcher from China Speaks to Detroit Medical Community On Promising Cure for Persons with Spinal Cord Injuries at RIM on Sept. 9 started by Max Sept 8, 2003.

Dr. Huang Will Lecture September 5th started by Patricia August 28, 2003.

Wise.

can someone tell me how you get picked to go to China for the procedure. I am a C5/C6 going on my 1 year anniversary. My wife has been trying to research the internet for information on this procedure. We have 2 small children, Gracie is 2 and Seth is 8 months old. If anyone has info, please could you pass it our way.

Originally posted by Wise Young:

Details of this trial can be found at http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16983 where I describe my visit to Dr. Hongyun Huang when he was still situated at the Naval Hospital in Beijing where the first 150 patients were transplanted. In February of 2003, he moved to Capitol Hospital which encompasses the China Rehabilitation and Research Center, the largest and best rehabilitation center in China. Dr. Huang has continued to transplant the cells.

Recently, Dr. Huang indicated that he would be willing to take American patients.

Wise.

David, the decision of what patient and criteria is made by Dr. Huang. He comes to this site every day. I believe that he is doing his best to try to answer the huge flood of emails and hundreds of requests from people. There is a topic in the Cure Forum where people have been posting messages to Dr. Huang and he has been regularly answering those when he has the time. I am copying your message to that topic so that Dr. Huang can see it.

Wise.

Dear Wise Young
    I am very interested in this research. I read an article about this topic n Total Access by a Mike Kowalski. His article mentioned that there are human trials taking place in the USA. Do you know of any in Canada? How does one go about volunteering for these trials?

Details of this trial can be found at http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16983 where I describe my visit to Dr. Hongyun Huang when he was still situated at the Naval Hospital in Beijing where the first 150 patients were transplanted. In February of 2003, he moved to Capitol Hospital which encompasses the China Rehabilitation and Research Center, the largest and best rehabilitation center in China. Dr. Huang has continued to transplant the cells.

Wise.
    madhungarian

Dear Wise Young,

I don't know if you have ever replied to my original question below. My hard drive went on me right after I sent my reply and I only just managed to et a new one now. So I was wondeing if I could ask you to reply again.

Thanks
    Charles Sandor

Dear Wise Young
    I am very interested in this research. I read an article about this topic n Total Access by a Mike Kowalski. His article mentioned that there are human trials taking place in the USA. Do you know of any in Canada? How does one go about volunteering for these trials?

Wise.
    madhungarian

Please go to the Cure Forum to see all the reports by people who have gone to and come back from China. Seneca has graciously posted a ├é┬*Summary of topics related to Dr. Huang's OEG procedure containing links to all the topics that contain substantive information on the subject.

Here is a brief update. Dr. Huang is currently continuing to accept patients from the United States. He has modified the procedure. In the past, he use to do a long laminectomy that exposes the injury site and the spinal cord above the injury site, and then injecting about 500,000 OEG cells above and below the injury site. Now, he is making two small laminectomies (keyhole laminectomies) above and below the injury site (without exposing the injury site) and transplanting the cells. In several of the patients now, he has been giving methylprednisolone at the time of the transplantation, hoping that this would improve the survival of OEG cells transplanted into rats. No results are yet available whether this improves the results of the OEG treatment.

So far, the trial suggests that the procedure is safe and feasible. Three patients have died but all these occurred months after the surgery and appear to be due to unrelated causes. Unfortunately, neurological followups have been carried out only in about 10% of the patients to date. Dr. Huang published one study (see discussion) in a Chinese medical journal, summarizing the 3-6 week results in the first 171 patients.

Wise.

Hello Wise (no sign of disrespect intended -- I address all my doctors by their first name),

Originally posted 08-28-03 04:14 PM by Wise Young:
    Both techniques have not been proven, in my opinion, to restore motor function in people with chronic spinal cord injury. Dr. Lima has been transplanting nasal mucosa into the spinal cord while Dr. Huang is injecting olfactory ensheathing glial cells isolated with olfactory bulbs of aborted fetuses. Dr. Huang has done many more patients, compared to anybody else.

I have been urging people to wait until it is more clear what the procedure is doing, whether it produces long-term and progressive improvement of function beyond the first few weeks, and what the complications of the transplantation are.

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that fetal olfactory ensheathing glia will be used anytime soon in the United States. Lima's approach is less controversial from a viewpoint of ethics but there is substantial skepticism about the use of nasal mucosa transplants. There is not enough data to say whether Lima's approach is effective.

Wise.
    In light of the PBS "Miracle Cell" program aired April 13, 2004 and the OEG transplantation and Laserponcture® performed on Arnar from Iceland would you not agree that we are perhaps being too cautious? When you speak about the unlikelihood of the procedure being performed in the USA, the same applies to Canada and yet I can only base my faith on what I have so far seen to make me a willing candidate and I am specifically thinking about Dr. Lima (perhaps worth setting up a new thread.)

Cheers!

--
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~