Thread: Alternative Therapies In The Treatment Of Wheelchair User's Shoulder Pain Following Spinal Cord Injury

Alternative Therapies In The Treatment Of Wheelchair User's Shoulder Pain Following Spinal Cord Injury

Alternative Therapies In The Treatment Of Wheelchair User's Shoulder Pain Following Spinal Cord Injury
    Principal Investigator: Trevor Dyson-Hudson, M.D.
    Institution: Kessler Medical Rehabilitation Research & Education Corporation, West Orange NJ
    Funding source: NIH, U24HD32994
    Last updtaed: 05/17/00

Objective: To evaluate the efficacy of acupuncture and Trager psychophysical integration in treating chronic shoulder pain and its associated functional impairment in individuals with spinal cord injury using manual wheelchairs.
    Methods: A randomized self-controlled design was used in which subjects were measured for 5 weeks, then given treatments for 7 1/2 weeks, then observed for a 5-weeks follow-up period. The Wheelchair User's Shoulder Pain Index (WUSPI) were used to detect and monitor shoulder pain and functioning in each treatment group, and to note any changes in pain and function during and after treatment. In addition, assessments of functioning, range of movement and strength in the shoulder were measured.
    Results: Preliminary analyses indicate that both Trager and acupuncture were effective at reducing shoulder pain, and that the effect remained for at least 4 weeks post-treatment. Further analyses and final report will be completed in 2000.
    Conclusion Two different bodywork techniques, Trager and acupuncture, may be useful adjuncts to standard pain treatments in shoulder pain in spinal cord injured individuals.

I guess you know I am a T11/12. Have any studies been done at the point of injury because my spinal cord is not servered? have scar tissue damage and massage on that point can make a "tingling" sensation down my right leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunker
    I guess you know I am a T11/12. Have any studies been done at the point of injury because my spinal cord is not servered? have scar tissue damage and massage on that point can make a "tingling" sensation down my right leg.
    Hunker, I am not sure that I understand your question concerning studies on the "point of injury". This is a study on the effective of acupuncture and a psychophysics intervention in reducing shoulder pain.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Hunker, I am not sure that I understand your question concerning studies on the "point of injury". This is a study on the effective of acupuncture and a psychophysics intervention in reducing shoulder pain.

Wise.
    Dr. Wise sorry about posting in the wrong thread. I just saw acupunture. I had a neighbor Al who was like my Dad and just passed away this year and he help me all the years I was a single Dad. He was injured at Eastern Airline as a mechanic and at that time he had all the benifit of medicine. He told me that acupunture gave him more relief during the day so he could do his yard, work on the house, walk his dog etc. He would have been 70 this year but died from a morphine overdose. I knew him for 15 years and acupunture DID work because I watched him walk his dog rather than takining medication. He was a good person and we both know how much it hurts to see someone we care / love leave use because of medication. My question is acupunture a relief from pain or a additive to doing more therapy? If I have acupunture in my spine would it help / or hurt me? I am incomplete T11/12 with Weiss (sp) spring in my back and my spinal cord is not severed just stretched due to the fact Dr. Apple from SSC did it because I has a concussion and collapsed lung and broken collarbone and I am not concerned about walking but sensation. BTW if I did get sensation I bet I would be in a lot of pain since my feet are messed up but I would do it.