Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shower/commode chair

shower/commode chair

After 20+ years, my E&J shower/commode chair is not exactly in the shape it once was. Does anyone have a chair they'd recommend as a good replacement?

Quantum
    I posted this once before regarding portable shower chairs. This one can be used at home and taken on trips. It's not a rollable chair, though.

The chair is made by Quantum. Its frame is made of sturdy PVC tube. Unfold it, snap it together, adjust the legs, put on the seat and you're ready to go. It has an optional bag (very large) to carry it in. This chair changed the way I travel. It's easy to tote, sturdy, fits in all tubs and it is fairly comfortable. The only drawback: its price. Here' a link:

http://www.accesstr.com/bath_shower.cfm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Clipper:

Quantum
    I posted this once before regarding portable shower chairs. This one can be used at home and taken on trips. It's not a rollable chair, though.

The chair is made by Quantum. Its frame is made of sturdy PVC tube. Unfold it, snap it together, adjust the legs, put on the seat and you're ready to go. It has an optional bag (very large) to carry it in. This chair changed the way I travel. It's easy to tote, sturdy, fits in all tubs and it is fairly comfortable. The only drawback: its price. Here' a link:

http://www.accesstr.com/bath_shower.cfm<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Damn, that chair
    OWNZ me!!! Actually, I just bought anotha one (one at my mom's, one fo da crib). They are HELLA $$$, but they have to last forever!!! I thought of the design (PVC) before I ever saw it, and am VERY impressed with the simple, but effective construction. I bought the optional extra leg for easier transfers ($102 extra ), but it is worth it. Those cheapie aluminum ones are a joke compared to the King Kong Quantum!! However, it is not rollable as stated earlier. I got mines at sportaid.com Shipping is $35 extra. I wouldn't mess with any other. If you use a rolling chair, I believe they do make PVC pipe ones as well. Not sure if Quantum does, but I think I've seen them. HTH.
    *edit* the link doesn't work, try this one
    Quantum Chair

My phat site (Not SCI related)

I've just purchased a shower/comode chair. It's portable (packs up quick and easy), but it can also be used for everyday. Yes, it has wheels. Check it out at www.nuprodx.com
    Good luck with your search.

Thnx for the fixed link, OTH. Glad to hear that someone else thinks the Quantum rules.

gr

Shower-Chair

Hey, Alan:

Invacare offers an assortment of quality shower chairs. While the chairs MSRP for around $1,000, a local wheelchair vendor was able to secure one for me a year or so ago (that you can self-propel) for about $600. Good luck.

Type shower commode into their search engine.

www.invacare.com

Gr8 Dane

Thanks for all the answers.

chairs

e&j is my favorite even though i have hard water and the rust fast.

e&j has a better pad than most i cant use them thin seats.

i nominate sunrise medical for the piece of sh** award when it comes to shower chairs. very poor design.

E&J shower/commode

In my experience, one of the weakest areas on this chair is the seat/cushion. It is not fully waterproof, and the base is plywood. You can signficantly increase the life-span of this part by doing the following before ever using it:

Take the seat off the chair. Remove all hardware that is removable.

Coat all seams, screw holes, and staples with a good quality silcone caulk or sealant and let dry well.

Put a big glob of silacone caulk on the seat mounting screw holes and mount and screw the hardware in place while still damp.

This will at least double the lift of the seat. Also, although E&J does not advertise this, you can purchase just a replacement seat without purchasing a whole new shower/commode chair.

(KLD)

Yes, we've noticed how the seat collects water during showers. We tip it up after every shower to let the water drain out.

All I really need is a new seat (on which we'll use your tips), and possibly a new back sling. The rest of the chair is fine.