Thread: Real pumpkin pie

Real pumpkin pie

Has anyone ever made a pumpkin pie out of a real pumpkin? How did it turn out? I attempted it this Thanksgiving. It was a chore but could be a fun family project ...? Even after hours of mashing the cooked pumpkin with a potato masher though, it was lumpy. Next time I'll use my food processor. I made a crust using a little whole wheat flour. All in all, the flavor of the pie was wonderful, but the texture/consistency could have been better.

I'm using the remaining (lumpy) pumpkin for pumpkin bread.

I also made applesauce with some green apples. That was fun. Much better than the jarred stuff.

Hi!
    Good to see you around here again.
    I've never tried to cook down fresh pumpkin. It's messy enough to carve them for halloween!
    I love green apples tho'. I usually peel and core 5-6 green apples. Add about 1 C. sugar 1tsp nutmeg, 2 Tbs butter and 2Tbs flour. Put that in a microwave safe bowl, cover and cook 4 min. at a time until tender. It's apple pie filling! But, I prefer to call it 'baked apples'. It is fabulous with pork.
    soulMate

We are all faced with a series of great opportunities... Brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.