Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Butter

Butter

Is real butter always better? I thought so for years. Wouldn't dare use anything else in my baking, etc.

Yesterday I was baking some of my peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, and I always use butter, no Crisco or other shortening. However, I was saving the butter I had for some other recipes, so I halved it with Crisco shortening for the cookies.

Frankly, I think they taste better!

Is this something all other cooks know except me?

Hmmm, think I better go eat one of those cookies ...

martha...whenever a recipe calls for shortening, i always use crisco. it wont burn, separate or "break". plus...you can't beat the texture of a pie crust made w/ crisco.

They have a "butter flavor" crisco but i've never tried it. i'm afraid it'll taste like chemicals like all those "---flavoreds" do.

Kap

(This space available)

Hey, Martha, glad to see you again.

I, too, always use Crisco whenever a recipe calls for it. I always use butter, though, if a recipe calls for butter or margarine.

Hugs,
    Sue

Thanks Kap and Sue.

This is going to sound stupid, but I think it explains this anti-Crisco, butter-purist thing. Years ago in Atlanta, the sister of a friend of mine was paid to make a "chia pet" birthday cake for our boss, as a joke. When I ordered it, she asked if I wanted butter cream frosting. I said yes, assuming that BUTTER cream frosting had real BUTTER in it. I was wrong.

We went to her house to watch her decorate it. She'd never made a chia pet cake before ... so she wanted our input. I was horrified to see her mix crisco and powdered sugar with a little food coloring. No butter. I couldn't eat the cake for his party.

From that point on, I've been fixated on butter instead of crisco.

Does anyone know if that's how all the other bakeries make their frosting ... w/Crisco and powdered sugar? Ugh. That grosses me out.

I always make mine from scratch now and try not to think about it too much when I eat all that birthday cake from who knows where made w/who knows what.

Martha, in Home-Ec that's how we were taught to make Butter Cream Frosting. As gross as the shortening seems it sure tastes good.

Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Thanks, Nov ... I had a feeling that's what I was going to hear. I took home ec too, but I don't recall the unit on frosting. Maybe it traumatized me and I blocked it from my memory.

I have a Red Velvet cake recipe that calls for lard but it's in the cake, not the frosting. The frosting is a pain though ... flour, milk, regular sugar, stir on stove til it thickens, etc., but it's wonderful.

I also know a woman who makes her pie crusts w/bacon grease ... yes, bacon grease, but it was the best pie crust I'd ever eaten.

Originally posted by marco25:

I also know a woman who makes her pie crusts w/bacon grease ... yes, bacon grease, but it was the best pie crust I'd ever eaten.
    You mean normal people don't save bacon grease to use later on??? I guess I'm not normal then. My grandma was the best cook ever...born and raised in Oklahoma. Now that was some down home cookin'. My mom is great too. I'm taking in all the lessons I can get. If I'm at least half the cook they are/were I'll do just fine. I'm going domestic baby

Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Wow, I grew up with that too. Mom kept it in a coffee can under the sink. My dad's from Kansas and mom's from South Carolina, so I figured it was mainly a southern habit.

Maybe it's because I don't cook bacon very often, so there's not much grease to save afterwards. Besides, I usually cook my eggs in the grease while it's still hot.

It's great to use in hash browns, but I'd never heard of using it in pie crusts. Like I said, it was really good.

Traditinal buttercream is made with butter, and not Crisco; a lot of commercial bakeries use Crisco or a like product, because it keeps on the shelf longer than butter, and is also much less expensive. Traditional buttercream you would usually find on something like a wedding cake.

Here's a 'traditional' buttercream recipe:

Vanilla Buttercream

1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup water
    4 egg whites (about 1/2 cup)
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 cups butter, cut up
    In a saucepan, place the sugar and carefully pour the water around the edge. Using your finger, make an X in the pan to help the water gently mix with the sugar. Bring to a boil and cook to softball stage (235 degrees F.)
    Meanwhile, whip the egg whites in a mixer with a whip attachment until light and fluffy. When sugar is at the softball stage, slowly pour it into the bowl down the side and continue whipping, adding vanilla, until incorporated and then cooled.
    Add the butter 1 cube at a time while whipping until it is a thick butter cream (check flavor and consistency of butter cream before continuing to add butter, as not all of the 2 cups may be needed).
    Keep at room temperature while frosting the cake.
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 20 minutes
    Difficulty: Easy

Using butter versus margarine versus Crisco in things like cake/cookie recipes will give different results. Crisco will make the cookies softer, and they won't spread as much as the butter. Using Crisco in a cake makes the crumb coarser. Using margarine, unless it's specifically labelled okay to use for baking, is a no-no!! It contains a lot of water that can really mess up the proportions of a recipe.

Originally posted by marco25:

Is real butter always better? I thought so for years. Wouldn't dare use anything else in my baking, etc.

Yesterday I was baking some of my peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, and I always use butter, no Crisco or other shortening. However, I was saving the butter I had for some other recipes, so I halved it with Crisco shortening for the cookies.

Frankly, I think they taste better!

Is this something all other cooks know except me?

Hmmm, think I better go eat one of those cookies ...
    At leat it tastes better!!