Thread: healthy dessert

healthy dessert

lately i have been buying the bags of frozen fruit in costco, other stores have them too.
    bags of frozen berries ,mixed fruit.
    i put them in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on the defrost setting for about 3 or 4 minutes, to get them out of the rock hard state.
    it makes a nice cool dessert, without a lot of added sugar in the diet.
    big plus is it doesn't go bad in the freezer.
    i add cream or splenda to sweeten it up to.

[This message was edited by metronycguy on 08-06-04 at 10:30 AM.]

Yummy! You can also whizz 'em in the blender with some yogurt for a smoothie.

And, since most fruits are frozen pretty close to the picking time, without a lot of lag time, some folks say they're higher in vitamins than their fresh buddies who may have been shipped across the country (or the world!), and sat on the grocery shelf for a week or two before you eat them.

Yummy! You can also whizz 'em in the blender with some yogurt for a smoothie.

And, since most fruits are frozen pretty close to the picking time, without a lot of lag time, some folks say they're higher in vitamins than their fresh bu

Just keep in mind that Vitamin C is very sensative to heat, and can quickly be destroyed this way. Thawing at room temperature would preserve more of this vitamin.

(KLD)

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

Just keep in mind that Vitamin C is very sensative to heat, and can quickly be destroyed this way. Thawing at room temperature would preserve more of this vitamin.
    Thanks, I didn't know that.

Metro, I do the same thing. I've got bags of frozen fruits in my freezer now. Like Marm suggested, I used mainly the strawberries w/yogurt, bananas for smoothies. Soooo good! My favorite is blueberries ... sometimes I thaw then but usually zap them ... for my shredded wheat and bran in the morning. Along with a little artificial sweetner and milk, I've been sprinkling ground flax seeds too. A friend of mine also suggested walnuts. Sounds wonderful.

BTW, sometimes that IS my dessert ... not breakfast.

~ There's so little you say of the life you have known, why you keep to yourself, why we're always alone. So dark, so dark and deep, the secrets that you keep.~ Cosette, Les Miserables, the opera

I googled "healthy desserts" and this link appeared. Hmmm ... these are supposed to be low-fat, simple, minimal number of ingredients needed, but read them carefully. Some sound wonderful, but I'm not sure how "healthy" they are.

Low-fat desserts

~ There's so little you say of the life you have known, why you keep to yourself, why we're always alone. So dark, so dark and deep, the secrets that you keep.~ Cosette, Les Miserables, the opera

Martha, as a certified foodie, food-site crawler, I'd be careful when posting sites/recipes you've just googled. There are tons of sites/recipes out there that haven't been tested and can easily turn into disasters. Ones like recipelink and allrecipes are good ones for resources, tho.

As far as the desserts on the site you posted being 'low fat' - I don't THINK so - - unless they're making low fat twinkies these days, lol!

Originally posted by Marmalady:

Martha, as a certified foodie, food-site crawler, I'd be careful when posting sites/recipes you've just googled. There are tons of sites/recipes out there that haven't been tested and can easily turn into disasters. Ones like recipelink and allrecipes are good ones for resources, tho.

As far as the desserts on the site you posted being 'low fat' - I don't THINK so - - unless they're making low fat twinkies these days, lol!

~ I could while away the hours, conferrin with the flowers, consultin with the rain .... ~ Scarecrow