Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: salty ammonia licorice

salty ammonia licorice

salty licorice reminds me of my grandmother, whom sadly passed away in 1970 when I was only 12. she always had a tin of zoute licorice bits in the shape of tiny diamonds in her apron pocket. i suppose the taste is an acquired one, as my husband nearly vomited when he tried one I had sent for in the mail. If anyone knows of a shop in the Long Beach, CA area I would sure appreciate the info. Paid $18 for .75 lbs by mail. Thanx

Hey socalgal, if you look in the topic about everyone's favorite candy, you'll see some discussion about this. WFE even provides a link to order some.

YUCK...nothing sounds more gross than "salty ammonia licorice"...*gag*

Kap

"It's not easy being green"

Originally posted by Kaprikorn1:

YUCK...nothing sounds more gross than "salty ammonia licorice"...*gag*

Kap

"It's not easy being green"
    It taste very nice. You should try

I thought ammonia was poisonous if ingested. Is this a different kind of ammonia?

I am certain ammonia is not used in the manufacture of this licorice, it just has the taste/ smell. Like I said, the taste for this licorice is most likely an acquired one. I just happen to love black licorice, and the salty kind in particular. By the way, I cannot stand Red Vines, when everyone I know simply love them. Go figure????
    Originally posted by seneca:

I thought ammonia was poisonous if ingested. Is this a different kind of ammonia?

Seneca-

It is some sort of ammonia salt i think, it crusts the candy and looks like sugar. But ugh, gasp! it's not.

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000

ammonia salt occurs naturally in rainwater [small quantities ], sea water , fertile soil and most animal/plant fluids [urine in particular ] . like many chemicals in small amounts it is not deadly as is evidienced by drinking the above liquids [ lets not delve into urine drinking please ] , or kids eating dirt . Urea [ which occurs in urine and contains ammonia salt ] is fed to ruminants [ cud chewing mammals ] that have access to low fodder quality to assist them in metabolising this lower standard of feed . and as any livestock producer who has used Urea knows , it needs to be monitored , as excess consumption by the animals will cause death .
    thank you ,
    dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .

Yes, SCI-Nurse, only teeny-tiny Maybe 1/2" diamonds. Same flavor though. And I would like to find a local source, mail order can be deceiving at times. Thanx.