Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Need to lose 50 Lbs....

Hey there... You've set yourself a good goal, one that's doable. I used to think that losing weight while being in a chair was impossible... It's not! You can do it!! I have recently lost somewhere around 110-120lbs. It can be done. I did it by first keeping track of my calories to find out what I was eating and then by using Dr. Phil's book/plan. I wasn't a Dr. Phil "fan/groupie" before this book but, after watching some of what he had to say about weight I thought I'd give it a try. His eating plan is very balanced which is so important and one reason I like it so much. If you set your mind to this you will succeed. Here's to a "skinny" new you...

This to shall pass...

I am 35, C5 . I have lost about 25 lbs.(185 to 160) over the last five months. I focused mainly on the Atkins Diet, but I believe the biggest key is keeping a daily log of what you eat. I chose Atkins simply because it focuses on high fiber and high-protein. What I found out was that by reducing carbs, I was reducing calories as well. So I believe most any diet will work as long as you can stick with it long term. As everyone else said, it's more about lifestyle change if you want to keep them off.

Check out this software package: Balance Log. It's great whether you are on a diet or not. It is an easy way to keep up with calories, carbohydrate, fiber, etc. and has a database full of foods built into the system already. It even has foods from restaurants (McDonald, subway, Wendy's, etc.) and their dietary information built in.

You also want to watch out for certain medications like Martha said. Some anti-depressant, blood pressure medications (beta blockers), etc. can slowdown or keep you from losing weight.

[This message was edited by Carl R on 04-07-04 at 12:41 AM.]

Another thing that may or may not help is taking an Omega complex which contains omega 3, 6, & 9... These are oils/fatty acids our bodies need and supposedly they help your body burn fat while helping to maintain lean muscle mass... Who knows but, it might be worth your researching/reading more and making up your own mind...

This to shall pass...

So Fritsch, how was the first week?

As I've stated before, as long as I am in this wheelchair, I will be on a diet for the rest of my life or until I get out of the chair. In the morning I have fruit, two cups of coffee, and then lunch is my main meal. I drink at least one gallon of drinking water every day along with fruit juice: apple juice, cranberry juice, Gator Aid with vitamin C crystals and 20 ounces of fresh vegetable juice. Even with all of this, it is difficult to maintain my weight. I will not let myself get ten or l5 pounds overweight.

Before my injury I was a marathon runner and I also lifted weights every day. At that time I could eat anything I wanted and not gain any weight.

PN

Ok, thanks again for even more info from you. Today is 1 week. I modeled the plan on Atkins, mainly I looked at my regular intake lots of milk 35 carbs a glass, bread 20+ carbs per slice, yogurt, pasta who knows how many carbs i eat a ton of it, pizza 150 carbs or more, cookies, crakers, subs, and Ice Cream. These must be the culprits so im staying away from all of them.
    I weighed myself at the hospital last monday..... 275.9 lbs (with chair R2 22.5 lbs and cusion 6.5 lbs, so -30) or 245.9 lbs. so i set a goal to lose 30-55 while keeping my head together.
    I have an Ergys and can do 30 minutes if im set up properly, this required me to get out and solicit 3 friends to commit to a 10 minute stop by once or twice a week each. I wasnt commited to a regiment before. im trying to exercise but the city is not good for all out exercise, slow and slanted.
    so the first week....Ive eaten tuna,hamburger, meatballs,chicken strips,ham,chicken,hotdogs,pepperoni, sausages, hard boiled eggs and cheese all with a small compliment of salad,celery or green beans low carb veggies.Lots of water. i also have about 1 atkins bar 2g carbs per day and a multivitamin. I bought bryers low carb ice cream to satisfy that sweet tooth only 5 carbs.
    I feel fine, expecting my head to be cloudy the first 3 weeks and it is. I will probably weigh in again late this week or early next but am confident ill be losing weight.

[This message was edited by Fritsch on 04-13-04 at 11:34 AM.]

[This message was edited by Fritsch on 04-13-04 at 11:36 AM.]

Thanks for the correction! I almost fell out of my chair when I read the first one.

Good luck. Keep us posted. We're cheering you on.

I've tried the Atkins diet several years ago and it worked great however, when I went off of it I slowly gained back 22 of the 40 pounds I'd lost.

I've lost 17 pounds in the last 2 months and I'm on no special "diet" except of my own making so I hope it helps, here goes:

Stopped drinking alcohol (empty calories), drink as much water as you can, replace any fast foods with freshly made food, lots of veggies and fruit for snacks instead of chips, etc. If you do eat chips try the baked Lays or Natural Tostitos, Lays etc. NO white bread or flour. I only eat whole grain breads and use wheat flour to cook instead of bleached (it tastes better too). Severely limited any prepacked foods. Eat 3 reasonable meals and at least 2 snacks per day. Eat something (even if its just a few grapes or something) first thing in the morning to get your metabolism started. Eat SLOWLY and drink lots of water during each meal.

That's ALL I'm doing and its working great. I think the key is balance and water is so important also. Good luck!!!!!

So Fritsch ... how was your second week, and how is the third one going?