Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Quad food prep., cooking and product tips

i've read that a toaster oven on a table is much easier to maneuver than a regular oven...

joy
    "You've got to learn to love the little things in life in order to be happy, like a sip of whiskey in the evening or a beautiful morning sunrise."
    ~Gus McRae, "Lonesome Dove"

Okay, I went down to the basement to get the name of the non-slippery stuff-it's called SAFE SHELF,'a nonslip shelf and drawer liner', distributed by MidwesternHome Products. When cutting for use I just cut in size of a placemat, course being the crafty sort, I make fish and other shapes. Can be washed off and lasts forever. Can get at any discount store- K-Mart, Wal-mart, Walgreens, etc. Good for under books, laptops also.

When making soup, you can just throw in rice, after it's hot, and will make it into a stew. Took me longer than the average bear to realize that you didn't have to pre-cook the rice! Duh!

Thanks, Deb! The only roll I had in the house doesn't have the labellng on it, and my CRS kicked in and couldn't remember the name!

Originally posted by lilsister:

When making soup, you can just throw in rice, after it's hot, and will make it into a stew. Took me longer than the average bear to realize that you didn't have to pre-cook the rice! Duh!
    Double duh, I didn't think of that either. Thanks Lil.

Seneca, thank you so much for not letting me go down alone!! My mother never had me help cook and so I floundered for a long time! It's all those little tips that make it easier. My theory is that is why mothers are good cooks-because they have to make meals consistently and cheaply every-ding-dang-day.

If anyone wants a roll of the non-slip stuff let me know, I'll send it to you. I was just going to stick it in the garage sale, since I over estimated the demand here, and am trying to lessen the clutter (due to a foolish New Years resolution).

Hey guys, just make sure there is enough liquid in soup/pot when adding uncooked rice. Even cooked rice will absorb liquid.

Sen, on the coffe pot, I use a regular decanter, most have similar handles, but some shapes/designs are better than others in enabling my hand to hold- mostly with thumb, being hooked under handle. Some might require base of palm (toward wrist) to touch glass portion of pot, so some padding (dish rag/pot pad, etc) might be useful to prevent from burning skin and/or help to give better leverage when lifting. This may be more the case when pot is full.

I have become pretty adept at this that I have no or little difficulty lifting pot with right hand. This is easier with the right hand because my fingers have more tone/tightness than left hand. My right thumb wraps around under handle, as some of the weight of the pot is distributed onto my hand (lift from handle, not touching pot). I have been trying to lift less often the full 12-cup pot, due to some strain on thumb, but necessity and impatience has me overdoing it more than I should, which adds too much stress on thumb/joint.

When the pot is completely full and hot, I have been just pulling it out of the hotplate, onto counter and just tipping the pot over the sink, where I place my cup. This has been easier that trying to lift a full hot glass pot.
    I also pull out pot when filled to where I want (4-6 cups) then pour into cup and then place back onto hotplate to finish dripping. I don't have to concern myself with touching hot glass then, since I can lift half filled pot without touching glass. Brewing coffee, I let finish dripping first.

For making coffee, a gold filter w/handle is convenient for lining with paper filter and adding coffee grounds. Easy to lift out and toss out used grounds. (hmm, is that grinds?)
    I always line filter with paper even when just making hot water.

A thought just came to mind- if you have a hose on sink, maybe that can easily reach to coffee pot to fill with water so you won't need to lift heavy pot?

Sorry for long reply on simple question!

[This message was edited by chick on 03-08-04 at 10:39 AM.]

I was hoping some of you para and quad cooks out there could post some more recipes like Seneca's soup. There are some excellent ideas and hints shared here. So consider this a "bump" and share some of your favorites.

i coulnt get anythig done without a trusty tray with heat protection so i dont burn myself. Also a rocker knife is a big help.

Haven't read the thread really thoroughly but as a c5/6 i grill all sorts of meat on my George Foreman grill. Steak, chicken, pork, fish, you name it. It's very easy too, just slap it on and close the lid. Just make sure you have enough cupboard room above it so the lid doesn't fall shut on you.

Thumbs up Bumparoo

Seeing that there have been recent interest expressed by quads, living on own and cooking, I thought this might be a good thread to follow-up on.

Great ideas were listed by Antiquity and others here. It would be cool to continue building on these suggestions and adding more!