Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Quad food prep., cooking and product tips

Quad food prep., cooking and product tips

I posted a list of things that make cooking and food prep. easier for me in another thread but decided to make it a topic. If anyone has other ideas, including easy recipes (I'm a one pot cook) please post them here.

I don't have tenodesis which means that I'm unable to grip with one hand so my strategies/struggles may not apply to every quad.

Ideas for quad cooks:

Storage: Storing food in zip lock baggies is much easier than using tupperwear. Those lids are a pain to get off.

Buy pre-prepared veggies: The better supermarkets should have a decent selection of precut fresh raw veggies like brocolli, onions, cauliflower, green pepper, carrots etc., usually in wrapped packages in the produce section. Using graters, dicers and slicers like cuisinart can still be a hassle for those with limited hand use.

Meats: Most markets will also have pre-seasoned raw meats, that are already diced, shredded or wrapped. Eliminates the need for a lot of cutting and slicing. Poultry, fish and meatballs for example can be bought already breaded and or cooked.

Fruits: Peeling is simply out of the question for most quads so I buy ready to eat fruit. Supermarkets will also have "fresh fruit salads" already prepared if you want it super fresh. I usually buy fruit in glass jars, seems a little fresher than what's in the cans and plastic cups.

Since spreads can be difficult to manage, I would suggest buying butter or margarine in the squeeze containers. Same applies to ketchup, mustard, mayonaise and jelly.

I like Cuisinart cookware because it's lightweight and has that hole in the handle which I use to hook my thumb through for lifting. The lids, which have handles instead of knobs make lifting them off possible too. Cast iron and calphalon are too heavy and cumbersome, there's no easy way to grip them.

Non-stick plastic cooking utensils are a must , they tend to be much lighter than metal or wood, easier to handle.

For hot drinks like coffee/tea, I heat water in the microwave instead of using a tea pot or coffee maker. I use coffee bags instead or brewed because it's easier than opening a jar and spooning out the coffee.

Sammons used to carry quad knives, one chopper and one serrated type but they've apparently been discontinued. I lost my chopper but still have two of the serrated knives left, don't know what I'll do when they disappear. They've been a godsend.

A kitchen with lowered counter tops and a roll under cooktop and sink will enable easier cooking and dishwashing. A raised wall oven with a swing away side mounted door eases baking and food removal challenges.

A side by side refrigerator helps too.

And buy everything pre-chopped, either fresh or frozen!

[This message was edited by seneca on 02-23-04 at 06:10 PM.]

[This message was edited by seneca on 02-23-04 at 06:11 PM.]

[This message was edited by seneca on 02-23-04 at 06:19 PM.]

Sen, I love squeeze bottles, and use 'em for all kinds of things - salad dressing, soy sauce - you name it!

I just got Matt a 'mezzaluna' the crescent shaped 'rocker' knife - he's doing okay with it, but it's hard to manage things like carrots; softer things are okay, tho.

What about a cutting board you can put on your lap? With nails driven up from the bottom side, so you can 'spear' food to be cut, so it stays in one place.

And those rubbery, wavy drawer liner thingys - can't remember what they're called - help! Anyway, they're great to put under bowls and things to keep them from sliding on the counter.

Seneca, in the frozen foods section you can find many vegetables and fruit also. Many are very good, they are flash frozen without additives. Onions, green peppers and many combinations are great for one pot delights. They come in bags that can be ripped open using teeth and/or hands. Extremely handy!

Lilsister, soo true, frozen veggies are my friend. Here's a super quick and easy meal that I made tonight.

Chicken and vegetable stew (or soup if you add more water) Leave out the chicken if you're a vegetarian. I'm a semi-veg.

1 bag of Tysons chunk chicken breast in the pouch

1 - 1.5 cups of stir-fry frozen vegetables in the bag. It contains red, yellow and green bell peppers and onions.

1 cup of frozen whole kernel yellow corn in the bag

(I sometimes use frozen stew mix which contains potatoes, carrots, celery and onions)

2 cups of water

3-4 Tbs of olive oil

salt, pepper, dehydrated minced garlic, Italian seasoning and A1'classic' seasoning (dry). I don't measure anything so I can't say precisely how much I use.

I use my serrated quad knife to open all bags. I add the oil first, then all the contents, seasoning and water last. I place over medium high heat, cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occassionally.

For the rice which I sometimes add: I put boil in-the-bag rice in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave on high for 13-14 minutes. There's a slit at the top of the bag which I slide my knife into to remove. I shake it over the sink to drain. I put a towel on my lap, sit the bag on it move over to the cook top. I cut a slit in the top, tilt the bag over the side of the pan, and turn it upside down by lifting the bottom with the knife. Once everything is in, I stir and it's ready to serve.

That's a good idea Marm, I hadn't thought about buying the squeeze bottles separately and filling them up with whatever. I love apple jelly but I haven't been able to find it in a squeeze bottle, now I know what to do.

Originally posted by Marmalady:

And those rubbery, wavy drawer liner thingys - can't remember what they're called - help!
    They're called drawer or shelf liners, Marm.

Stupidity is not a handicap. Please park elsewhere.

Originally posted by seneca:

Sammons used to carry quad knives, one chopper and one serrated type but they've apparently been discontinued. I lost my chopper but still have two of the serrated knives left, don't know what I'll do when they disappear. They've been a godsend.
    Please describe these quad knives.

Marm: Dycem? They are sticky rolls that can be cut to use as needed (ie grip/twist jars) or come in table place mat style, to hold plates etc in place.

Jeff B: knives can come in many designs, and different types of handles may serve individual quads differently, per hand function.
    - Bigger handles, location of handle, cut-outs for hands to slip into, cuff-like shape to hook hand, etc.

Sen: EAT the skin on your fruit!

I find Tupperware easier than zip-loc plastic bags. Closing/opening lids is faster on tupperware (for me). Use teeth to open or, use fork/thumb to loosen edge (fork for tight lids).

Pre-seasoned/packaged foods can be good, but does cost more. Idea would be to get in good with the butcher/meat & fish dept person and they may cut up the meats for you without addtl cost.

Hot drinks: For plain hot water or coffee/tea, Coffee pot is easier than microwave- less likely to burn with hot cup.
    I use filter to make hot water and fill coffee pot. Good if you are needing more than a single cup too, so not repeat nuking cups in microwave.
    I grind coffee beans and brew fresh coffee. Not too much more work, just an extra minute or so to grind and put into coffee machine. A minute is nothing if you prefer fresh coffee.

Cass gave me this link for a knife which I plan to order. She swears by it...

knife recommendation

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000

Originally posted by Jeff B:

Please describe these quad knives.
    Jeff B, they're called vertical palm self-handle utensils. Like Chick described, it's a vertical cuff with a utensil attached that you slide your hand through. The knife attachments are no longer available.

Originally posted by chick:
    Hot drinks: For plain hot water or coffee/tea, Coffee pot is easier than microwave- less likely to burn with hot cup.
    Chick, how do you avoid touching the hot pot when you lift, can you grip the handle?

I stack two styrofoam cups, fill with water then put in microwave, the exterior isn't hot when I remove. I know, I know, shouldn't put styro in micro....

[This message was edited by seneca on 02-24-04 at 01:34 PM.]

Chick, No it's not Dycem - this stuff is way cheaper, you can get it where the contact paper and drawer liner stuff is in the grovery or Home Depot - it's thin and rubbery, and makes great grippers! Usually comes in rolls.