Thread: Babette's Feast ...

Babette's Feast ...

Chris's reference to the movie "Chocolat" made me start thinking about other movies that were centered around food, like "Babette's Feast." Did anyone else see it? It's a foreign film that's about 10 years old. Beautiful story about a former French chef (woman) now living on an isolated cold and bleak island cooking for two spinster sisters who want nothing but boiled fish. It ignited a desire in me to cook and cook well. I just may watch it again tonight.

What are some other movies that are centered around cooking and appreciation of good food? I can't think of any more right now.

I do not have any other movie to add to your list, i just wanted to add to your description. Babettes feast (Babettes gæstebud) was filmed in 1987. It is based on a novel of same title by Karen Blixen, you know the "Out of Africa" woman... And the movie was directed by some semi dane called Gabriel Axel :-)

Originally posted by martha2:

Chris's reference to the movie "Chocolat" made me start thinking about other movies that were centered around food, like "Babette's Feast." Did anyone else see it? It's a foreign film that's about 10 years old. Beautiful story about a former French chef (woman) now living on an isolated cold and bleak island cooking for two spinster sisters who want nothing but boiled fish. It ignited a desire in me to cook and cook well. I just may watch it again tonight.

What are some other movies that are centered around cooking and appreciation of good food? I can't think of any more right now.

"tampopo" is a japanese film.......the raw egg scene is priceless
    i also really liked "chocolat", "babettes feast" and "like water for chocolate".
    "eat, drink, man, woman" is another food-centric movie......."tortilla soup" is the latin version.
    "big night" isn't about the food, necessarily, but there's good food in it (italian)
    and if you like candy, "willy wonka and the chocolate factory" is delicious (the book was more delicious).

[This message was edited by Nancie on 02-20-04 at 07:28 PM.]

'Like Water for Chocolate' incredible!

"Babette's Feast" was AMAZING. As was "Como agua para chocolate". The novel in the original Spanish is gorgeous.

I watched Babette's Feast again last night. I was struck this time by so much, but mainly that, like Babette, I say I love you through food. I could never have been a chef like her or caterer because for me the planning and preparation of food is fueled by love and a desire to demonstrate that love in a pleasurable way.

People think I'm joking when I talk about cooking and eating as foreplay for couples, but I'm serious. Throw in some candlelight and a bottle (or two) of wine, and watch the fireworks.

Also in the movie, as the general is leaving, he tells the sister he'd fallen in love with 35 years before, that every night he'd eaten with her because she'd always been in his heart ... something like that. I bawled like a little baby. I know what he's talking about, so sad but they seemed to be resolved about it, that the right things had happened.

All that said, the movie reminded me how food can be an excellent conduit for love.

On the campy side,and Julia Robert's coming out movie - Mystic Pizza

And what about more recently - My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Or Tracy Ullman's, Kevin Kline, River Phoenix in - I love you to death

I know, not centered around food, but still...

In our area when Babette's Feast came out there were restaurants that had special dinners with exactly the same menu. The same occured with one of my all-time favorite movies: Big Night.

I am also a Tampopo fan and have seen it a number of times.

Here are a few more:
    The Scent of Green Papaya
    Vatel
    Eat, Drink, Man, Woman
    Chocolat
    and an old one: Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?

Did you ever see the British TV Show "Chef!". It was also very food focused, and very funny too.

(KLD)

From Martha2 -
    I could never have been a chef like her or caterer because for me the planning and preparation of food is fueled by love and a desire to demonstrate that love in a pleasurable way.
    Martha, that's exactly the reason a lot of folks go into the food biz - their passion for food is an enactment of the desire to make people happy!