Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Post your vegetarian recipes here!

Post your vegetarian recipes here!

If you've got any good ones you'd like to share, please post them in this thread.

Shannon
    33 year old T4/5 complete
    25 years post

This isn't a recipe, but if you are interested, here is a link to some benefits of a vegetarian diet.

Shannon
    25 years post

how could i post my soup (and other) recipes o9n this? we have a scanner and high speed internet, but i don't know how to get it on the board. help me!?!

I don't know lilsister! I hope someone can help.

Shannon
    25 years post

Deb - Are your recipes on file in your computer? If so, just mark and copy them to a 'reply' that you've opened. Did that make sense to anyone - LOL, I'm the last person to be giving computer advice!

Here are a few of my veggie 'faves':

BRAISED CHARD, POTATO AND POBLANO TACOS

makes 16 tacos

3-4 large poblanos 1T olive oil 1 medium onion sliced
    2 cloves garlic ¼ tsp. Mexican oregano 1/8 tsp. dry thyme
    16 corn tortillas 3/4cup veggie stock 3 med. red potatoes
    ½ tsp. salt 3/4 cup Monterey Jack 6 cups julienned chard
    ½ cup heavy cream*

Roast chiles and peel; slice into ¼ inch strips.

In large skillet, heat oil over medium high, add onion and cook til browned but still crunchy. Add garlic and herbs, toss a minute longer, and stir in chiles. Set aside.
    Warm tortillas wrapped in damp towel in oven.
    In small saucepan, combine stock and potatoes; cover and simmer over medium low heat til nearly tender, about 15 minutes. Pour potatoes and stock into skillet with onion mixture; mix in chard and boil over medium high til stock evaporates, about 4 minutes. Add cream and continue to boil, stirring often, til cream reduces enough to coat vegetables. Season with salt/pepper.
    Scoop mixture into serving dish and sprinkle with cheese.

* You can use tofu sour cream as a sub; just don't boil it, keep at a simmer.

MASHED POTATO CAKES W/KALE AND ONIONS

4 servings

1 bunch kale 1 lb. potatoes 3/4 tsp. salt 1T olive oil
    1T butter 3 cups diced onion 2T fresh sage ¼ cup green onions
    black pepper

Cook kale in boiling salted water til tender; remove; chop and set aside. In cooking liquid, add potato, bring to boil, simmer til tender. Drain and partially mash potatoes. Stir in kale and ¼ tsp. salt.

Heat oil and butter in large skillet over medium high; add onion and sage and ½ tsp. salt; cook til browned; combine with potato mixture, green onions and peper. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Divide into 8 portions. Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat, add patties and saute on each side til golden brown.

TEX-MEX TABBOULEH

4-6 servings

1 cup water ½ cup tomato juice 2tsp. ground cumin
    ¼ tsp. cayenne ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes 1 cup bulgur
    3 plum tomatoes 10oz.pkg.frozen corn 1 small red onion
    1 sm.gr.pepper 1 sm.cucumber 5T oil
    ¼ cup cilantro 3T red wine vinegar 2 garlic cloves
    Dash of Tabasco ½ tsp. salt

Combine water, tomato juice, cumin, salt and peppers in medium saucepan; bring to boil; stir in bulgur; remove from heat and cover; let stand til bulgur is tender, liquid is absorbed and mixture is at room temp. Fluff bulgur with fork; transfer to a large bowl. Add corn, diced tomatoes, finely diced onion, green pepper, cilantro and cucumber and toss gently; whisk oil, vinegar, garlic and hot pepper sauce in medium bowl to blend; pour over vegetable mixture; toss to coat; season w/salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour to let flavors develop.

VEGETARIAN WHITE BEAN CHILI WITH SEITAN

1 lb. seitan (wheat gluten)* 2 tsp. ground cumin
    1 cup diced onion 2 tsp. dried marjoram
    2/3 cup diced celery 1 tsp. dried coriander
    ½ cup diced carrot 1 tsp. dried tarragon
    1 fresh jalepeno, minced** 1 bay leaf
    3 cloves minced garlic ½ tsp. dried thyme
    1 4 oz. can minced green chiles 2 tsp. mild chili powder
    14 oz. can vegetable stock ½ tsp. celery seed
    2-3 T. oil 1 ½ tsp. salt
    2 tsp. white Worcestershire sauce 1 tsp. black pepper
    1 19 oz. can white beans (navy or cannelini), rinsed

Mix all dry spices together in a small bowl, and set aside. In a Dutch oven, or large pot, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, jalepeno, and garlic and sauté until just soft (3-4 minutes). Add 1 tablespoon oil and the seitan and sauté 1 minute. Add the spices and cook 1-2 minutes, until the spices are fragrant. Add the stock, green chiles, beans, salt and pepper, and white Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 1 hour. Add a little water if the chili gets too thick. Adjust the seasonings. Remove bay leaf before serving.

Quantity: 1 quart.

Servings: Four 1 cup servings.

* Seitan or wheat gluten, can be found in most health food stores; the White Wave Company is the biggest commercial producer. It has been a staple of the Chinese vegetarian diet for thousands of years, and is gaining popularity in modern Western vegetarian diets as a pure source of very high quality protein. Seitan usually comes packaged in 1 lb. containers, either frozen or in the refrigerated section of the health food store. It is very easy to cook with and can be used as a substitute for chicken in just about any recipe. Seitan absorbs oil and liquids very easily; when sautéing with seitan, keep the heat on medium and use enough oil to keep it from sticking. When using seitan in a stew or chili such as this one, it may absorb a lot of liquid during cooking; just add water or stock to obtain the finished consistency you desire.

**For milder chili, remove the white membrane and seeds from the jalepeno.

I'd better stop - I'm having too much fun!

Marmalady, those recipes sound delicious, but waaaaayyy too hard for me to make. I'm a terrible cook. Things need to be really simple for me!

BTW, the Chili recipe calls for Worcestershire sauce. I believe that sauce contains anchovies.

Beaker, there are vegetarian versions of Worchestershire sauce - or you can leave it out.

"Vegetarian recipes" encompasses a wide variety of 'vegetarianism'; as I'm sure you know, there are people who only abstain from red meat and poultry; there are people who abstain from all meat/seafood, but eat dairy; there are people who abstain from all dairy. I'd like to not limit the recipes to one particular group, because I think more people would enjoy a wide variety. Anyone who's been a 'true vegan' for a while certainly knows how to modify a recipe; I've done it for vegan friends of my son, subbing soy milk for instance, and even made a totally vegan wedding cake.

Sorry the recipes are so difficult for you.

Originally posted by Marmalady:

Beaker, there are vegetarian versions of Worchestershire sauce
    Cool, I didn't know that. I've found cheese without rennet, marshmallows and jello without gelatin, as well as other things, but haven't seen Worchestershire sauce without anchovies. I have looked for it, but I guess I haven't looked hard enough.

Shannon
    25 years post

thanks guys for the thread! i am a partial vegetarian looking to go full! i only eat tiny amounts of chicken just to keep protein in me. help! i am the pickiest eater. i was vegetarian since i was 5 years old, drove my mom nuts. i can vividly remember sitting at teh table for hours becaus ei had to eat 3 bites of meat. all i can say is barbecue sauce was my best friend!

so please post more simple recipes for us horrid cooks.....

Originally posted by ohiochica:

so please post more simple recipes for us horrid cooks.....
    Everytime I have tried something other than a simple recipe, it turns out bad. I hate spending an hour or more cooking, only to throw it out or gag it down.