Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here eat less then before there accident?

Does anyone here eat less then before there accident?

I'm a 21 years old male c7 and c8. I've been spinal cord injured for 3 years because of a accident with a off road vehicle(trike). I noticed that I eat less. Does anyone here with a similar situation eat less then before there accident?

That would be because I can't feel my stomach right???

Hell, yes - if I ate the way I did before my accident, I'd weigh 400 lbs. by now. My abdominal pain probably keeps my food intake even lower than the average quad.

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

I eat a lot but I am still skinny. I am a walker and I thing I use a lot of energi walking. Since I am 35 years post I don't know of I am eating more or less from before but if I don't do to much I am not very hungry.

My weight has been the same all the time, maybe I am going up and down 2 kg

But does someone with a sci like me eat less because we can't feel our stomacs???

Sometimes my stomac makes noise but I don't feel hungry.

Dominic...I am 52 yr old, male, wlaking para, and yes...i eat less now. I was in construction management and was on my feet moving at 100 mph all day long before. Being disabled now, I don't expend 1/4 of the energy I did before so do not need these extra food (calories).

Also, having neurogenic bowel seems to slow things down, not to mention having to do BP for evacuation. This, I think, tends to subconciously reduce our intake habits.

Kap

"It's not easy being green"

Originally posted by AO:

I guess this shows once again how all sci's are different.

I'm c6 complete, but definitely can feel when I'm hungry, which seems to be all the time

Weird thing is, I have not put on much weight at all in 7 years even though I am not very active and my diet hasnt changed post injury. I use a manual chair and thats about it.

Maybe Ive just got a fast metabolism, endomorphic and all that.

At C6 are we supposed not to be able to feel hunger/our stomaches?

It was well over a year after my accident before I was able to feel any kind of hunger. Even now I don't unless I am really hungry and that usually comes more as a feeling of nauseousness than normal hunger. I still never have a full feeling even when I've obviously eaten more than enough. I just stop because I don't want to eat too much. Even though I'm not really hungry I feel like snacking all the time out of boredom. It's only the fear of getting fat he keeps me from overeating.

I have not felt hunger in over 22 years.

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

I sure wish I did eat less, unfortunately with all the exercise I do, I get hungry and find myself scoffing down a large pizza in like 10 minutes, not the most healthy thing. I really need to work on it I guess.

I remember though 23 years ago for the first year post injury, I definetely did eat less as I was not as active. I think how phyically active you are and how much energy you burn has a lot to do with it.

I also eat less now. Twice and sometimes even once a day. My 'taste' also changed after the accident. I don't really like sweet stuff anymore and it's even much harder to eat a cake than to refuse it. I wonder if it's about not being able to feel the hunger or not needing the calories...