Homemade Salsa for chips - Recipe

Ingredients:
    •Hunts whole tomatoes

•Jalapeños

•Cilantro

•Long Onions

•Garlic Salt

Ok now, before you start wash your hands
    Open the Hunts whole tomatoes can. Get yourslelf the cutting board and with a fork get a whole tomatoe from the can on the cutting board and start chopping the tomatoes. All I do is chop and chop until the whole tomatoes is smooshed and in small pieces. Be careful because the tomatoes can be very messy since all the juice starts squirting out.
    once you chop all the whole tomatoes you will be putting them in a bowl. Once you have finished chopping them get the tomatoe juice left in the can and pour it in the bowl.

Now, get stem of cilantros, wash them and what you need to do here is get all the cilantro leafs so you can chop them. What I do is grab them and run my fingers tight down the stems and you'll see that some easily slide off. Once you feel like you have plenty of cilantro leafs, start chopping them. Do the same with the long onions(make sure you cut off the top part of the onion). Once chopped, throw them in the bowl.

Now the jalapeños. Open the can and you decide how many jalapeños you want to add to the salsa. Get them out on the cutting board and cut them in small pieces. It is always good to buy the sliced tomatoes because all you do is line them up and cut them in pieces. Once you have chopped your desired amount throw them in the bowl. Adding some of the vinegar from the jalapeños gives the salsa a great taste.

Once all of the ingredients are chopped stir the salsa in the bowl and add some garlic salt. Again to your own liking. Some like the salsa salty (like me) and some dont. If you cant find garlic salt, just salt alone will do.

Now go buy yourself some chips and enjoy!

T5 Incomplete (06/02/03)- Walking with no assistance.

OsCDude, sounds like a great recipe. I love homemade salsa. Makes me long to plant a salsa garden this spring.

Dude...

I kinda make a similar one but more of a Salsa Fresca:

2 Fresh Tomatoes...Cut in half and deseed by holding in hand and "slinging" the open side into the sink while NOT letting go of the tomato half...This will remove most seeds. Then chop into 1/2" cubes.

1/2 Onion, chopped in 1/4" cubes.

4-6 Fresh Jalapeno Peppers...Slice down center, remove seeds and chop fine. You might want to use latex glove on hand that holds peppers to avoid finger-to-eye contamination of pepper juice (Ouch!).

Big handful of Cilantro leaves chopped fine.

Juice of 1-2 limes and big pinch of salt.

Combine all ingredients in bowl, stir and let stand for 15 mins or so to blend flavors and serve w/ tortilla chips.

When avacados are good, chop 1 peeled and seeded avacado in 1/2" cubes and add as well. Yummmmmm...

Kap

"It's not easy being green"

Tomatillo salsa:
    tomatillos-washed and chopped
    Garlic-minced
    green onions-washed and chopped, include
    the green part
    cilantro
    serrano peppers-seeded and stemed
    salt-to taste
    You make up the amounts, for as zesty as you want. Add avocado as desired.

I also like salsa with black beans, mango, corn and green pepper, as well as jalapenos and cilantro. It's funny how,after a few margaurita's, it gets more fun to make up a new combination salsa.

Guacamole:
    Two or three avocados-spoon out meat and
    mas with fork
    bunch of green onions-clean and chop, white
    and green parts
    diced up tomatoes
    lemon juice
    garlic
    salt
    Mix together, if not serving right aay, be sure to put one of the avocado seeds in the bowl with gaucamole-it keeps the color from turning brown.

SMOOTH AVOCADO SALSA

6 tomatillos
    2 serrano or jalapeno peppers
    ½ onion, chopped
    2 ripe avocados,peeled,pitted
    ½ cup chopped cilantro leaves

Place husked tomatillos and chiles in a saucepan of salted boiling water. Simmer over medium heat til chiles are tender and tomatillos change color, about 10 minutes; drain and reserve ¼ cup of the liquid.
    Place tomatillos with their liquid, chiles, and onions into a blender and blend til smoth; add avocado, cilantro and about ½ tsp. salt, and process. Adjust seasoning.
    Serve as dip or sauce over grilled fish or chicken.

O-Dude, made your salsa this weekend. The kids and I loved it. The fresh cilantro makes such a difference.

Originally posted by martha2:

O-Dude, made your salsa this weekend. The kids and I loved it. The fresh cilantro makes such a difference.
    I am glad you liked the salsa! I love it, its a must for our family when we have parties or gatherings.

T5 Incomplete (06/02/03)- Walking with no assistance.