Thread: Anybody eat grits, got a recipe?

Anybody eat grits, got a recipe?

Once in a while I get in the mood grits. I remember the first time I had them in the 1950's when my family drove to Florida. Does anybody got a good recipe?

Bigbob, I'm embarrassed to say that, whenever I prepare grits, they're usually instant ...... but I doctor them up with butter, salt, pepper, etc. depending on my mood.

However, I pulled out some of my Louisiana cookbooks and found some interesting recipes.

GARLIC CHEESE GRITS

1 cup grits
    4 cups water
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 roll garlic cheese
    1 stick butter
    2 eggs, well beaten
    1/4 cup milk
    Salt and pepper to taste

Cook grits in water with salt added. After grits are cooked, add one roll garlic cheese (Kraft). Break in pieces and add butter, eggs, seasonings, and milk. Put in casserole (1 1/2 quart) and bake 40 minutes to 1 hour at 300-350 degrees (?).

Then I found this dish in my cookbook from Commander's Palace in New Orleans:

EGGS CREOLE

"A soulful, spicy dish, Eggs Creole is a combination of grits, sausage, poached eggs, and Creole sauce. Practically a meal in itself, it could make a hearty winter luncheon entree, served with a salad, a slice of Brie, and your favorite white wine."

Fried Grits
    (Makes 8 rounds)

Hominy grits (not instant)
    2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
    1 cup finely chopped andouille sausage or spicy sausage like kielbasa
    4 tablespoons shredded Cheddar cheese
    Dash of salt
    All-purpose flour for dusting
    1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of milk
    Seasoned bread crumbs
    Oil or fat for deep-frying

Creole Sauce

2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
    1 cup fine julienne strips onions
    1 cup fine julienne strips green bell pepper
    2 stalks celery, cut into fine julienne strips
    2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
    1 bay leaf
    2 teaspoons paprika
    2 cups diced tomatoes, fresh or canned
    1 cup tomato juice
    4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    4 teaspoons Tabasco or Chrystal Hot Sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1/2 cup water

Melt butter in large skillet and saute the vegetables with the garlic and bay leaf. Just before the onions become transparent add paprika, tomatoes, and tomato juice. Stir well.

Add Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce and simmer until sauce is reduced by a fourth, about 5 minutes.

Combine cornstarch and water and stir into sauce. Simmer until the cornstarch is cooked and sauce is glazed, about 2 minutes.

The sauce will keep 4-5 days in the refrigerator. In fact it is better to make it a day ahead to allow the flavors to meld.

8 poached eggs
    4 slices sausage, 1/2 inch thick, broiled

To make grits: A day in advance, prepare 4 servings of hominy grits according to directions on package. When cooked, remove from heat and stir in butter, sausage, cheese, and salt. Spoon into a baking pan to a depth of about 1/2 inch and chill for at least 24 hours. The next day, turn the grits out onto waxed paper and with a glass or biscuit cutter cut out rounds about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Dust the cutouts with flour, dip in egg and milk mixture, and coat with bread crumbs. Just before assembling Eggs Creole, fry the rounds in deep fat heated to 400 degrees. Drain on paper towels and keep hot.

Make Creole Sauce, if not made a day ahead.

Put 2 rounds of fried grits on each warmed plate. Top each round of grits with a poached egg and ladle Creole sauce over. Arrange one sausage slice on each plate. Serve immediately.

Bigbob, the second recipe may not be what you're interested in, but it goes to prove that even grits can be served up fancy.

[This message was edited by martha2 on 02-13-04 at 08:50 PM.]

I have made the instant grits also, and they are not bad. It's like cream of wheat only more gritty. I was just daydreaming about the worlds largest firecraker store, South of the Border Motel, Pecan stands, and Orange Groves, carved coconuts. I think I need a vacation.

I eat the instant grits too. Have them as a side dish like potatoes, or for breakfast like a cereal (milk, butter and some sorghum syrup is best).

Of course the traditional way to eat them is with red-eye gravy.

(KLD)

Bob, this is an absolutely yummy dish!:

CHEESE GRITS SOUFFLÉ

Serves 4

3/4 cup grits (regular)
    1 cup grated sharp cheddar
    3 eggs, separated
    2T butter
    1 ½ tsp. cream of tartar
    ¼ - ½ tsp. cayenne
    salt/pepper

Preheat oven to 400; Grease a 1 ½ quart soufflé dish.
    Cook grits according to package directions. When grits are cooked, remove from heat and cool slightly; beat in cheese, egg yolks, salt/pepper, and butter. Whisk egg whites til foamy. Add cream tartar and whisk til the whites form stiff peaks. Fold the whites into the grits and cheese mixture, and pour into the soufflé dish. Bake for 30 minutes, or til the soufflé has risen and is light to golden brown on top. Serve immediately.

Try this, too, if you're making just 'regular' grits - instead of cooking them in water, cook 'em in half n' half or cream - OMG!

Bigbob, South of the Border Motel! Right there on I-95 and the NC/SC border! Know exactly what you're talking about. I have vague memories of it as I was growing up, traveling with my family, but it wasn't nearly as big. Now that I'm the one behind the wheel instead of in the backseat, I never stop there, no matter how much the children beg. I'm too much of a tightwad and a road warrior, especially when I travel. However hearing you talk about the firecrackers, pecans, etc. makes me wish now that I'd stopped at least once.

Back to grits, the farther south you travel down I-95, the more grits you'll find on the menus of some of the local diners. I bet they fix em up good.

Bigbob (and everyone else) please forgive me! When I told my mother about this topic, she insisted on passing on this recipe for Carnival Season/Mardi Gras. It's been floating around in my car since last Sunday.

GRITS AND GRILLADES

Marinated Pork Grillades

2 pounds pork steaks
    2 tablespoons Tony Chachere's More Spice Seasoning (or your favorite seasoning)
    3/4 cup vinegar
    All-purpose flour
    1 onion, chopped
    Tony Chachere's Brown Gravy Mix (or use your substitute)

Cut steaks into 2-inch strips. Season well and sprinkle with vinegar. Place in a container and chill overnight. When ready to cook, dredge steaks in a little flour. Sear in a little oil on each side. When browned, add onion, enough water to cover and simmer one hour or until very tender. Add a little gravy mix to thicken and extend gravy. Serve with baked grits. Serves 6-8.

Creole Baked Grits

1 cup grits
    2 cups water
    2 cups milk
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup cream
    2 eggs

In a saucepan boil grits in water; milk and salt. Cook until the grits are very thick. Remove from heat and allow to cool a little. In a bowl whisk together eggs and cream. Stir egg mixture into grits and mix thoroughly. Spread mixture into baking dish and bake at 350 for about 40 minutes. Cuts into servings. Ladle grillade gravy over grits. Serves 6-8.