Thread: Some Cajun recipes for Kap

Some Cajun recipes for Kap

First let me preface this by saying that I tremble at the thought that anyone would consider what I'm posting to be the best of the best. Cajun cooking is so diversified and individual ... each cook has his/her personal signature on each dish. So these are Cajun dishes signed "Martha" .

BTW, the food tastes even better if you dance while you cook to some great Cajun music. Mais, poo yie.

CRAWFISH ETOUFFEE

1 large onion, diced
    2 celery stalks, thinnly sliced
    1/2 bell pepper, diced (optional)
    1-2 teaspoons chopped garlic
    1 can Rotel tomatoes (optional)
    1/2 cup butter or oil
    1 or 2 8 oz cans tomato sauce (depending on how tomatoey you want it)
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    2 pounds cleaned crawfish tails
    Dash chili powder and sugar (optional)
    Salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, to taste
    3 cups hot rice

Sautee vegetables on medium heat in butter or oil until tender. If using Rotel tomatoes, you can cut butter/oil in half and sautee in juice. White wine is another option to reduce fat. Add seasonings and tomato sauce; let simmer about 15 minutes.

Stir in cream of mushroom soup and crawfish tails. Add more seasoning if desired. Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.

Serve over rice. Hot buttered french or garlic bread and a green salad are excellent complements to the meal. So is your favorite brand of wine or beer.

RED BEANS AND RICE

1 large onion, diced
    2 celery stalks, thinnly sliced
    1/2 bell pepper, diced (optional)
    1-2 teaspoons chopped garlic
    1 can Rotel tomatoes (optional)
    1/4-1/2 cup butter or oil
    1/3-1/2 cup ketchup
    1 pound sausage, sliced, andouille or fresh Cajun pork sausage preferred, but kielbasa and others will do
    1/2 pound tasso, optional
    3-4 cans dark or light red kidney beans or one bag of dried kidney beans, soaked and rinsed
    Salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and thyme, to taste

Brown sliced sausage and tasso in desired amount of oil. White wine is another option. Add vegetables to sautee, adding more oil/wine if desired. Simmer until tender. Stir in beans, ketchup and seasonings. Let simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste one last time for needed seasoning. Serve over hot rice, with your favorite bread, salad and beverage.

uh, what's tasso?

Kate, tasso has been described to me as a small slab of bacon meat ... sort of that texture but trimmed of the fat. It's salty, rather tough/chewy and adds a great flavor to dishes like RB&R.

I thought of something else. I recently made crawfish etouffee for the guys I work with, and I tried something a little different. I added about 1/4-1/2 cup dark roux, and the flavor was incredible. The guys went ape! My brother, who's eaten my etouffee many times before "sans roux," said he could taste the difference. You can do the same for the RB&R.

Tasso ham is a cajun version of 'country ham'; a shoulder or butt portion that is brined in a mix of 'cajun spices', then slow smoked. Yum.

Thanks, Marm. That sounds right to me. I also noticed you can order it and other Cajun products (like smoked andouille sausage) from www.cajungrocer.com.

Yep, I've seen that site - drool, drool!

Chef I used to work for made his own tasso - took a pork shoulder, did a brine w/salt, water, brown sugar, and his 'own' Cajun spices for about 24 hours, then slow smoked it. Boy was it ever good!