Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: last night I had Elk, Squirrel, and Venison

the dumbass blundy didn't tell me he'd loggged me out!

the message I'd tried to write was this:

no vic, I understood you what you meant, you were very clear the first time, but thanks for the explaination anyway.

This is a serious question, so please no one laugh. Is it possible to get rabies from eating a rabid animal or only if it bites you? I don't think rabies is apparent at first. An animal will act and look strange/sick after it's had rabies a while, but I don't think you'd be able to tell at first. don't laugh, just answer!

Thanks Kap :-)

Originally posted by Kaprikorn1:

Squirrel is a dark rich meat with no "gamey" taste. I daresay, if prepared like I said in my post you couldn't tell the difference between it and say beef stew meat or buffalo. It is not stringy and has sufficient fat content (when harvested in the fall during the hunting season)to not be dry if cooked by other methods.

Kap

Kap

"It's not easy being green"

Originally posted by X:

This is a serious question, so please no one laugh. Is it possible to get rabies from eating a rabid animal or only if it bites you? I don't think rabies is apparent at first. An animal will act and look strange/sick after it's had rabies a while, but I don't think you'd be able to tell at first. don't laugh, just answer!
    X
    I don't think this happens.
    I was raised on the wild kingdom.
    I don't think any of us ever got rabies..hard
    to tell with humans sometimes.

My Dad was a hunter, trapper, fisherman deluxe..one time he barbequed a beaver rump
    roast..oh boy..it was nasty.
    But rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, goose, duck,
    deer...very tasty if you can get past the
    mental block of some of them being rodents,
    and the deer being so darned cute.

And when it was eat it or go hungry..you ate it.

<"();::::::::::;~

I personally Like squirell it's a good break to eat one evry now and then as I can't walk in the wood's anymore I have to wait for my boy's to bring one in. animal's I think have to be kept in check or they over populate for instance raccoon's here there are so many that Rabies are getting into them!!!! Ive ate it once but did not care for it stringy!! My youngest got a deer this year so we are having alot of jerky and the deer saugage is great!!! they turned Turkey's loose and now we have way to many it's nothing to see 20 at a time I hear there not that good to eat plus now you have to worry about lice and tick's from them not to mention they turned loose rattlesnakes because they say it's a turkey's farvorite food!!!! so now I know for sure I'll stay out of the wood's But has anyone here eaten rattlesnake?????

snake works nicely, sea turtle is the best meat i have ever had, better than a filet minion steak, same color and texture, but protected most places nowadays, land turtle works too, but lots of flukes/worms, not that tasty, in the organs not a good thing..tabasco sauce always helps what wasnt always pallatble, eels are great... bbq
    lobster used to be fed to the prisioners in new england as it was considered trash food early on.
    if someone could figure out what to do with the damn geese around here, be great to turn them into food, they dont migrate anymore, just foul everthing with the dropppings, ruining lakes and other area for swimming due to high geese droppings.

I had rattle snake when I lived in Mississippi. Along with Gator. I thought it all tasted like chicken meat so why not just eat chicken?

As far as rabies. It is hard to catch unless you eat raw meat or get blood in with your blood, like a cut.
    rabies info

T-10 complete
    10/08/01

Originally posted by Pat(wheelinarcher):

I had rattle snake when I lived in Mississippi. Along with Gator. I thought it all tasted like chicken meat so why not just eat chicken?
    snakes and such ...
    we used to call it chow on the hoof, an unexpected delight to add to the mundane of lrrp rations... tabasco sauce fixes all in the field

Sounds delicious to me!!

I have had elk once and loved it. My hubby and son hunt so we often have squirrel, rabbit and we did have venison tonight for supper. I love wild game. If the population of wild game wasn't contolled some by hunting there would be more problems with disease and other things.