Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: last night I had Elk, Squirrel, and Venison

last night I had Elk, Squirrel, and Venison

I went to an outdoors banquet last night. We had Chestnut Burgers, Elk Strogenof, and Squirrel Potpie. Along with a 16' table of sweets.

T-10 complete
    10/08/01

Oh damn Pat...now ya went and done it...

The venison, elk, etc. I can get here in Calif. from friends or even buy at the trendy supermarkets...but squirrel...that is another matter altogether.

Out here squirrels are puny, gray, tree rats. As a kid I grew up in SE Indiana and squirrel hunting was one of my favorite pastimes. The big fat red ones. I cleaned em and mom cooked em. First in the pressure cooker (remember those) so they were fall-off-the-bone tender. She put in some carrot, onion, celery and spices and when done would make this rich brown gravy and put the meat (after deboning) into this gravy and simmer. This was all served over flat egg noodles with some vege's, a salad, bread, etc. To this day, even seeing a squirrel or hearing people talk about them brings back such strong memories of this delicious wild fare.

See...now I'm drooling all over my keyboard just typing this.

Kap

"It's not easy being green"

I just gotta say Kap: There's no other man more qualified to be Food moderator than you. You're enthusiasm for all kinds of food is contagious and inspiring. You make it fun.

You too Jackie. Thanks.

I simply can not understand this, People in a civilized world eat those sweet little red things that we all love to watch crawling up and down the trees, and are so rare to see, that any time we actually see one we yell, look a squirrel and stop what we are doing to observe it..
    Oh boy, would you get into trouble if you did that around here. I bet all animals rights organistations would follow you all the way to the border.
    Do you really eat them ? How do they taste ?

Once I went to a potluck supper in MO, and I stirred a pot of stew and the little squirrel bum bum came to the top of the pot, and I ....stepped quietly away....rest in peace little road kill....RIP......sniff...

YUKKA!

And I don't care who goes to yelling at me for saying it....

Personally I don't see the problem, our ancestors ate what was available and we're here aren't we? Tell someone in North America you had reindeer for dinner and they look at you like you're from the moon; in Finland we don't think twice, they're everywhere. I've eaten bugs in Asia and Africa and didn't see a problem. Most people have psychological issues with eating certain foods, not necessarily a taste issues. It's all about what you're open to. Some people don't eat things we don't think twice about (beef etc.)

my dear Pat

I must come to your defense on this one. as a vegetarian I would find the eating of any once living creature to be a vile and disgusting act. however, that is my personal choice. people will always eat meat. Ghandi said, "the progress of a nation can be seen in the way it's animals are treated"...or something like that. I find nothing civilized or humane in how the animals raised for food are treated. From the factory farm to the slaughter house they live a horrible painful existence. I will not take the time to educate the world on the atrocities commited on these feeling beings in these places. If interested they can look it up. It's not hard information to find. Most people think of happy cows grazing in the pasture...that is a rare situation in these modern times. The factory farm is the most economical way to raise animals for consumption. It's also a place worse than hell. While these animals live in torment, the wild creatures that Pat likes to eat, live a wonderful, and for the most part, peaceful existence. They are not abused or tormented or held captive. The only pain inflicted on them by humans may be at the moment of their death, which is brief. Other than that, compared to animals raised for food, their lives are dandy.

So many times value is based on what one perceives to be beautiful. Animals considered not beautiful feel just as much pain as those who man has deemed beautiful and therefore worthy to not be eaten.

My husband hunts and he eats all that he kills and he does not kill more than he can eat. He does not take a shot unless he is 100% positive he can make it and his kills are clean kills. And from what I have heard Pat say here of hunting, I think Pat is the same. I don't make the food choices for my husband. I would like it if he would become vegetarian for many reasons, but he has no interest in that. His choice. If he must eat meat, I am glad that most of what he eats is wild. The animals he eats were not tortured on factory farms, they did not have their babies taken away and locked in veal crates, they were not slaughtered with no concern as to whether it is painful or not. I'd much rather him eat an animal that had a good life, all it's life, than an animal that was brought into the world for the sole purpose of filling someone's gut, no matter what the cost in animal suffering it must pay.

I get so tired of meat-eaters condoning the eating of one animal, yet someone like Pat or my husband is uncivilized because they eat an animal considered cute or pretty. If it's wrong in someone's eyes to eat animal A, then it should be wrong in that same person's eyes to eat animal B. Both A and B have the same potential to suffer.

I am assuming that anyone here who may take issue with the eating of wild animals is already a vegetarian.

X,
    If you are refering to my earlier post, i know you have misunderstood me. I have no problem with people eating "cute" animals, if that is considered normal where they are. I just never heard about eating a squirrel before. My comment about a civilized world was more just fun, i am really sorry if that was misunderstood. I have eaten lots of strange animals, and will continue tasting new food as long as i can, meat is not a problem for me. I even asked how the squirrel tastes to get an idea of where to place it in my mind. Is it more like a whale than like a pigeon (probably far from both)

Chance is, that i misunderstood you, and did not even have to clear things out, and if so, then just forget this message :-)

Originally posted by X:

my dear Pat

I must come to your defense on this one. as a vegetarian I would find the eating of any once living creature to be a vile and disgusting act. however, that is my personal choice. people will always eat meat. Ghandi said, "the progress of a nation can be seen in the way it's animals are treated"...or something like that. I find nothing civilized or humane in how the animals raised for food are treated. From the factory farm to the slaughter house they live a horrible painful existence. I will not take the time to educate the world on the atrocities commited on these feeling beings in these places. If interested they can look it up. It's not hard information to find. Most people think of happy cows grazing in the pasture...that is a rare situation in these modern times. The factory farm is the most economical way to raise animals for consumption. It's also a place worse than hell. While these animals live in torment, the wild creatures that Pat likes to eat, live a wonderful, and for the most part, peaceful existence. They are not abused or tormented or held captive. The only pain inflicted on them by humans may be at the moment of their death, which is brief. Other than that, compared to animals raised for food, their lives are dandy.

So many times value is based on what one perceives to be beautiful. Animals considered not beautiful feel just as much pain as those who man has deemed beautiful and therefore worthy to not be eaten.

My husband hunts and he eats all that he kills and he does not kill more than he can eat. He does not take a shot unless he is 100% positive he can make it and his kills are clean kills. And from what I have heard Pat say here of hunting, I think Pat is the same. I don't make the food choices for my husband. I would like it if he would become vegetarian for many reasons, but he has no interest in that. His choice. If he must eat meat, I am glad that most of what he eats is wild. The animals he eats were not tortured on factory farms, they did not have their babies taken away and locked in veal crates, they were not slaughtered with no concern as to whether it is painful or not. I'd much rather him eat an animal that had a good life, all it's life, than an animal that was brought into the world for the sole purpose of filling someone's gut, no matter what the cost in animal suffering it must pay.

I get so tired of meat-eaters condoning the eating of one animal, yet someone like Pat or my husband is uncivilized because they eat an animal considered cute or pretty. If it's wrong in someone's eyes to eat animal A, then it should be wrong in that same person's eyes to eat animal B. Both A and B have the same potential to suffer.

I am assuming that anyone here who may take issue with the eating of wild animals is already a vegetarian.

Before anyone hops on my YUKKA, Pat knows I shoot, and while I think hunting is an expensive, all consuming and potentially dangerous sport, I have nothing against it's morality....I like chicken, duck, quail, fish, some cuts of beef, the tenderloin of deer, squid , octopus, various vegetables and legumes....I don't fancy squirrel....so do not think for a minute, that I am staking an argument against eating it....I would just prefer chocolate....Pat knows if he made me squirrel stew I would eat it...but can we have cheesecake for dessert????? Rock and Roll..my friends......Mary

Originally posted by vic:

I simply can not understand this, People in a civilized world eat those sweet little red things that we all love to watch crawling up and down the trees, and are so rare to see, that any time we actually see one we yell, look a squirrel and stop what we are doing to observe it..
    Oh boy, would you get into trouble if you did that around here. I bet all animals rights organistations would follow you all the way to the border.
    Do you really eat them ? How do they taste ?
    "It's not easy being green"