Thread: cooking?! what's that?

cooking?! what's that?

I love food! I just cannot cook. Proior to the wheelchair I was far from being a skilled chef. This not from lack of interest, or effort. I had just inhabited my first very own kitchen about a month before my injury. My mom spoiled my tummy while I was home, then drom room food included merely easy-mac and meal-card dinners. I do beleive that it is time for me to grow up and learn to boil water!
    Do you know of any simple recipes that result in tastey treats( breakfast, lunch, dinner, or anything in between).

The heart seems to have its reasons which even reason cannot understand.

[This message was edited by Amanda on 01-31-04 at 08:33 PM.]

Go to www.allrecipes.com , there is a quick and easy section under the browse tab!

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

Also...

www.FoodTV.com has great recipe selection from all your favorite TV chefs. You can get ones from simple and easy up to fancy, all day in the kitchen, ones.

Kap

"It's not easy being green"

thanks guys! those sites look great

The heart seems to have its reasons which even reason cannot understand.

There is a cookbook called "Where is Mom now that I need her?". It has easy and tasty recipes...with portions mostly for one or two people.Check it out on Amazon I HIGHLY suggest it.

To just cook an ordinary meal, you probably do not need any cookbook. Lots of stuff can come out of pure fantasy. Find a handfull of ingredients that you will experiment with for the following week and start mixing it, in what ever ways you would like to try. Some of the food may taste great other may taste awfull, but as long as it is cooked enoug time, it probably will not kill you no matter how it tastes.
    Experimenting in a kitchen is great fun, and sometimes gets me to think of the early science classes, where we did not really understand what we were mixing, but spend more time observing the outcome. (when the textbook said keep at distance we new something would come out of the top of the test tube)
    I still use a cookbook for more fancy food, like fantastic cakes and so, but for cooking a dinner, they normally just serves as inspiration rather than guidelines.

Did i mention cooking is great fun, and probably can be addictive ?
    good luck :-)

I agree Vic...

Some of my best creations have come from "off the cuff" things thrown together on the spur of the moment. I would however recommend that every kitchen have at least 1 basic cookbook for reference. Not 1 of these fancy preplanned meal types either, but one like your mom had, ie: Joy of Cooking, Better Homes & Gardens, etc. Aside from giving you a good place to start if you're an inexperienced cook, but for technique, cooking times, temps, substitutions in recipes, etc. they can't be beat.

One more thing...cooking is creative and you can do just about anything you want to a dish to suit your tastes. Baking is a scientific process that requires exact, specific adherence to proportions and ingredients. It is actually a chemical process that makes cakes rise, produces flakey pie crusts, changes egg yolk and oil into mayonaise, etc. You can alter the "flavorings" but not the formula.

Kap

"It's not easy being green"