Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most disastrous meal

Most disastrous meal

What's the most disastrous meal you've ever prepared or been a part of?

ooooooooooo i got several....

how about every thanksgiving no matter who prepares the sweet potatos the marshmallows always catch on fire in the oven.

or how about the sunday that my grandmothers brand new wig melted. (she is balding due to horomone imbalance) well she went to take the pan out of the oven, she bent down stuck her head to close and the wig melted! she was horrified, and would be even more horrified if she saw me posting this.

and the last disasterous dinner was the first dinner i prepared for teh guy i am seeing. i tried to duplicate my favorite restaurants chicken, well it didnt come out so good, in fact it was nasty! but i gotta give him and his kids credit, they ate it without one negative word. i am sure they all had pizza when i left though. the chicken was stringy and tough, the grean beans had bacon bits in them that were super soggy, and the potatos werent even cooked all the way. yummmmmmm NOT.

when I grew up my Mom only used one setting on the stove and that was high!!! So I ended up eating alot of burnt food. thing is now very weird I kinda like burnt food now I know it sound's nut's but.....................

I've had several, but the one that STILL haunts me every time I cook happened about 14 years ago. Scott and I had been in Atlanta a few years, and his sister, Kay, and her husband, Jeff, lived there too. I'd recently returned from a trip to Lafayette, where I'd bought several pounds of crawfish tales to make etouffee. Kay and Jeff were two of the few people we knew who'd eat and appreciate it.

We invited them over for a meal one night. I was always a little tense when they came over because a) we had two indoor cats, and they didn't approve of indoor pets, and b) Jeff is allergic to cats. One of our cats was a Himalayan Persian with long, white fur.

As the etouffee simmered on the stove, I worked diligently to clean the house, vacuuming and dusting trying to remove all traces of cat.

To my horror in the middle of the meal Kay found a long, white cat hair in her etouffee! I wanted to die. She wouldn't eat the food, and I don't blame her for that. However, several months later we were all at my inlaws house and she announced at the dinner table in front of everyone that there was nothing more repulsive than finding an animal hair in your food. Again, I agree, but I wanted to die when everyone got quiet and all eyes turned to me.

You know, there are just some people you can't apologize enough to, but it has made me extremely aware of the risks involved when you choose to let any animal live inside with you.

Martha-
    It is nice that you understand the refusal to eat your food due to a pet hair. But I think she sounds like a witch.

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000

Betheny, thanks for your support. It's still a painful memory. However, over the years Kay and I actually became very close friends, and there was never another episode like that--from her anyway.

Inlaws are part of the marriage package, and I've come to understand a lot more about mine over the last year. It kinda fits ...

Back when most of my family was living(long story, cancer loves us!) We had a huge bbq chicken cookout. My stepdad was cooking and it was perfect. We had about twenty people and too much chicken to cook all at once. When is was all cooked he stacked about 15 lbs of chicken on the grill to warm everything up. He came in to make sure everyone was ready. Looking out the back door all you could see was smoke and orange flames. Needles to say we still joke about the "black" chicken recipe.

T-10 complete
    10/08/01

I have made Baklava twice...once it was DIVINE...flaky, sweet, perfect...the second time, SOMETHING went wrong with the simple syrup, and when we went to eat it at the Thanksgiving potluck I went to, it was HARD as a rock! The Syrup has carmelized to the consistency of a Sugar Daddy!

But the Spanakopita put no white flour eaters off their "fast". So my cooking efforts were redeemed. We picked the flaky top off of the Baklava and it was still a great day.

I'm GLAD I was not on Turkey duty...something truly awful might have happened.

My sweetie calls it the Vinegar Chicken incident..........

Well, Liz, inquiring minds want to know ... tell, tell!