Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What would you eat if you could choose from all the food in the world ?

Hi KLD,

I never mentioned Krumkaker or Fattigman bakels, "Woman from europe did" she is the norwegian person. But i must admit, that our own version of fattigman bakels (pronounced, i think, a little like this - futtimon buckels - in norwegian (remember the singing norwegian accente )) a cookie we call klejner is also a specific christmas thing.

Lutefisk, is a so special norwegian tradition, that no other people on the world should ever talk about it, some traditions are better left forgotten, and in my humble oppinion this is one. In general lutefisk is dried cod that have been soaked in lye and boiled in water, I would at any time rather eat the dried cod as is, with butter on, as it actually tastes wonderfuls despite the very bad odour. Again I believe lutefisk is a special christmas food, and i trust that most people thank their gods that they do not need to eat that on evryday basis.
    I would though eat something similar to krumkaker at any time, preferably filled with whiped cream mixed with fresh berries, or atleast with marmelade on top

Originally posted by KLD:

Vic, since I just ate my last from my Christmas stock of fattigman and krukager, and this message says ANYTHING I WANT, I included this.

When my grandparents hosted the Norwegian foreign minister in exile in their home in Wyoming during WWII, they made fattigman for him (even though it was summer) and he cried and cried!

And Vic, I see you did not list lefse and lutefisk either!

I left strawberries off my list...and fresh raspberries too. Would add these as in between meal snacks!

I would think I had been a very bad girl if they made me eat dried fish soaked in lye for Christmas...I had a Swedish sister-in-law, she was such a good cook, but ate some stuff I didn't like. Something called salt licorice, which was black licorice dipped in ammonia salts? ick. I did like the aquavit tho. And it was handy, if you had pickled herring and wasa crackers, she always had something to eat.

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000

I have never tasted lutefisk. It looks aweful and even smells worse but the aquavit with the Cristmas food is really nice.

Anyway, I think I prefer an Italian pizza or a Greek souvlaki

Beth, there are 2 sort of "salt licorice", there is the general salt lakrids, that just contains salt, and then there is salmiak lakrids, with ammonium chloride, salt and sugar. The last one is really great, but i think the general salt lakrids, is the most common. Some people even dissolve them in vodka, and drink it.
    As in Sweden, we, the other neighbours besides the Norwegians, love pickled heering, in all kinds of variations. Especially in spicy sauces. But wasa krackers(Knäcke Bröd) are not to eat with that, I must have dark bread prefferably with lots of whole grain in or the taste is simply nor right
    Originally posted by Betheny:

I would think I had been a very bad girl if they made me eat dried fish soaked in lye for Christmas...I had a Swedish sister-in-law, she was such a good cook, but ate some stuff I didn't like. Something called salt licorice, which was black licorice dipped in ammonia salts? ick. I did like the aquavit tho. And it was handy, if you had pickled herring and wasa crackers, she always had something to eat.

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000

Seing as now I now live on another continent from where I grew up all I want is food from home that you can't get here...

Breakfast would be karjalen piirakat, a rye pastry with rice inside and strong coffee (not the weak junk you get here in North America)

Lunch would be simple, ruisleipa with herring and salami (it's dense rye bread)

Dinner would be toss up between my grandmother's reindeer stew or lihapulla (meatballs with mashed potatoes, sort of)

Desert would be marjakiisseli (lingonberry thing, kind of soupy but very sweet).

Now I want to go back Seem to be lots of Scandanavians loving their cuisine (and the French think we can't cook!)

Soilant Green..

''In a world called catastrope my native tongue is blasphomy''

I had no clue we had so many Scandinavians on board! Who knew?!!

Gotta make an addition... Kenny Rogers' Roasters. Some chicken, corn and a corn-muffin and I'm doing great.

-Steven

Originally posted by Shaun:

Soilant Green..

''In a world called catastrope my native tongue is blasphomy''
    But Shaun, that's peeoople!

This morning it would be some fresh hot Krispy Kreme donuts from the shop in Mount Pleasant, SC, and my (late) grandparents would be allowing me to eat one in the back seat of their car on the way back to their house.