Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What would you eat if you could choose from all the food in the world ?

What would you eat if you could choose from all the food in the world ?

I could not help noticing, that the most active topic is what would you NOT eat... Kind of amusing considering that we have a great opportunity to talk about what we like to eat
    So, my question, if you for maybe just one day could choose from all the food you like, what would you then eat during a day ?

I would start the day with warm toasted bread, with butter melting into it and emmenthaler like cheese on top, another piece of bread with strawberry marmelade (lots of whole berries), a boiled egg with soft center(not liquid) and finally a piece of melon - I would drink a glass of milk with lots of fat in, a glass of apple juice, and a strong coffee with cream and 3 pieces of sugar.
    Later in the morning, i would eat a fresh baked spandauer(still warm), and drink a cup of black coffee.

At lunch i would have dark bread, 1 with smoked eel and scrambled egg, 1 with thick slices of salami, hardboiled egg, tomato, cucumber and mayonaise, and a piece of white bread with shrimps, tomato, mayonaise and a slice of lemon. I would have a dark beer and a schnaps to go with it.

In the afternoon, i would only have a cup of hot chocolate with whiped cream and a little of my mothers special applecake with whipped cream.

Dinner would be, green pea soup with champagne in it and a glass of champagne with it, the back of a lamb with white potatoes and brown sauce with a salad of rucola, raw brocoli, walnut, raisins and orange dices, italian bread on the side and a glass of red whine from Rioja. For desert i would have a doublebaked double chokolate cake with vanilla ice and peppermint cream and a cup of espresso and a cognac.

Before bed, i would have some more of my mothers special applecake and an irish coffee to sleep on. I would probably also need a strong person to carry me to the bed :-)

I do not eat that much during a day, but IF it would be a day to remember

SWISS CHOCOLATE

Vic, love your question ... and your response! Yum! Well, except for the eel ...

My kids and I love spaghetti. We make it at home and order it at restaurants. Everyone seems to make it a little differently. And throw in the Cajun influence, and it really gets exciting.

I suppose I'd love to fly to southern Italy and find one of those off-the-beaten-path family-owned authentic Italian restaurants and pig out on spaghetti, fresh bread and a scrumptous bottle of wine or two, romantic candlelight ...

(Sigh) And it would be nice to have a scrumptuous man who's madly in love with me to enjoy it with ... ooops!

Sausage, eggs, grilled tomatoes and mushrooms, with strong hot tea-bed and breakfast in Ireland.

More strong tea-England.

Lunch, vegetable crepes from a street vendor, Paris.

Snack-gelato, Florence Italy.

Dinner-risotto verde w/ white wine, Rome.

Bedtime snack-Bailey's and coffee.

Shoot, the day is done, but I'm not!

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000

Hmmm...I'd start the day here in LA...and get Breakfast at Panne Fresco...

Eggs scrambled, some of their great bread, a little pancetta then I'd head to LAX and hop a charter to NYC...lots of Veuve Cliqout on the flight, oh, and some caviar with blini and creme fraiche, and other little nummies.

When I got to NYC, I'd pick my sister up in a town car and we'd be off to Luna for an early supper...they have a great Prix Fixe for the appetizer either melone e prosciutto, or my favorite, caprese.

They also bring a small salad, no dressing, you just dress it with olive oil and balsamic and course salt and pepper at the table.

For the second course, I like their ravioli, or their chicken parm. mmmm. A side of angel hair with their pomodoro as well.

All of this is washed down with the house white, it's cheap and tasty, and there is some freaky guy there who plays the guitar and butchers old cheesy classic Italian songs.

THEN on to Soho for a latte and some SINFUL dessert at I THINK Common Grounds...dunno, I just know they have BEER and divine coffee and French Pastry like you wouldn't believe. Creme Brulee that is to die for, and a triple chocolate mousse using white, milk and dark chocolate. I'll have them both.

On the way back to my sister's place in Astoria, we'll stop for a margarita and some chips and salsa at this one place she really likes. Mmmm...oh, and Tommy's Pizza in da Bronx to warm up for breakfast the next day.

Josie, just curious - why is telling us the names of all the wonderful places you've eaten so important? I for one am much more interested in the food than the status of the restaurant.

ICE CREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marmalady...

Actually, those are not too expensive restaurants that have fabulous food in the city. My sister was a "po" college student. We're talking without boundaries here though...as I took a charter jet, and a town car since we'd be imbibing.(I don't even have Jet Blue money right now!) Though the subway works just as well, and is actually more fun blitzed. I guess for reference to anyone travelling in the city. Luna is a great place to go if you're travelling on a budget and would like to get authentic Little Italy Italian for under 30 bucks a head including wine.

Common Grounds, or whatever it is called, is also well worth it, as it is a decent price for SoHo without sacrificing ambiance or menu.

As for Tommy's Pizza...nothing fancy, just you haven't eaten Pizza until you've had Tommy's. It tasted great before going out in the rain to some dive bar in Throgsneck, and having some of New York's Bravest(mmm...firemen) give us lights and sirens, and it tasted great after we walked back home soaked to the skin and more than a little tipsy.

I'm a foodie, but I'm just as happy having something cooked at home as from Chinois.

Perhaps we should start a topic entitled 'Restaurant Reviews'; actually might not be a bad idea - reviews re food AND accessibility.

From all the food in the world, I'd choose Japanese for it's utter elegance and simplicity.

Then I'd choose Latino - mostly Mexican - for the awesome chiles.

Then there would be Italian - and then Greek - and then------------------Oh, gosh, why don't I just eat my way around the globe?!

PS - Vic - May I ask where you're from? Just curiousity!