Thread: I need some high octane fuel!

I need some high octane fuel!

I'm recovering from Brown-Sequard syndrome. I've been lucky in that I'm back to work and walking with cane only 7 months after injury.
    I'm looking for ideas on foods, drinks, etc. that will sustain the level of activity I'm now engaged in - full time work and PT at night.
    I find myself really dragging sometimes.
    Thanks in advance.

Garvey, I'm sorry to say I can't answer your question but I'm sure someone around here can. Your schedule alone, coupled with your recovery, sounds like trying to scale Mount Everest every day. I don't see how you do it!

I would humbly suggest a healthy, balanced diet, lots of water, fruit, vegetables, lean protein. Are you on any meds that slow you down? Can they be changed? Getting enough sleep? Can you squeeze in a nap at any time? You could also check out this Food topic here.

~ "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." ~ Ambrose Redmoon

[This message was edited by martha2 on 08-13-04 at 08:31 PM.]

What is that stuff in the little silver and blue can called? Red Bull?? Heard that will keep you going at full steam. Expensive, though.

Garvey, I was doing some other things around the house but still thinking about your question. Speaking from my own experience, I CAN tell you what I WOULDN'T do. Don't consume a lot of caffeine and sugar, hoping it will give you that boost you need. A little might help but a lot only makes you feel worse, especially after the "crash."

Here is a link to a list of foods and their benefits. You may be able to pull together a menu suited to your likes, budget, etc. I noticed whole grains are mentioned as another source of natural energy.

However, again, I'm not speaking as a dietician or nutritionist. I just google ...

I've never tried Red Bull, but I did try the AriZona Herbal Teas, one is for energy. Don't bother with those Garvey. We discussed them here.

~ "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." ~ Ambrose Redmoon

Martha2 -
    Thanks for your response. That's a very useful link!
    I'm trying to get back into "normal" life and reduce weight to help recovery of mobility and I think diet is pivotal.
    Thank you!

You're welcome, Garvey. I wish I could have given you more thorough info, but I'm glad the links will help you.

Jo, after re-reading my post about the energy drinks, I hope it didn't sound like I was pooh-poohing Red Bull--it was the AriZona Tea claims. However! ... ... all that said, I did some research on Red Bull, and came across several less than flattering articles about it and other energy drinks ... Red Bull = Bull?

garvey ,
    sometimes the injury itself takes a lot out of you, eat a good diet, watch out for foods that are high in fat that make you sleepy.it may just take time, you may be overextending yourself at 7 months, its hard to accept that thinkgs are not the way they used to be.