Thread: How many calories should a quad have per day?

How many calories should a quad have per day?

Just wondering if there are any guidelines out there about this.

I'm under the impression anyone needs a minimum of 1500 per day just for your body to carry out its essential functions. Since most of us quads dont do as much natural daily exercise as an able bodied person, what intake should we consider optimal?

It would help to post your current weight and your height, as well as your sex.

If you're getting chunky, you're having too many calories.

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Most of the quads I've seen are pretty thin (me included) so I'd think we'd need a higher daily intake of calories.

My Dr. has me on a diet not consisting of calories but carbohydrates I can have 45 per meal I'm at the onset of diabetes

You need to look at your current weight to determine this. People with tetraplegia (quadriplegia) generally should weigh about 15% less than people with the same height on most standard weight tables. Those with paraplegia should weigh about 10% less. This accounts for muscle atrophy, so if you do FES aggressively this may not be so much the case. There are additional adjustment formulas for those with any amputations.

Uncontrolled spasticity will burn more calories, and those with open pressure ulcers or infections will need more calories.

If you are trying to loose weight, for adults the rule of thumb is to reduce your calorie intake by 500 calories daily. This should result in about 2 lb. per week weight loss, which is considered safe. Exercise in addition will increase the weight loss rate.

According to the Craig Hospital site:
    If you are a healthy quad, you need about 10.3 calories per day for each pound of your weight. For a 150 pound quad this works out to about 1545 calories a day. A healthy para needs around 12.7 calories per pound per day. If you weigh 150 lbs, that calculates to about 1905 calories daily.
    You can read the entire article here.

(KLD)

[This message was edited by SCI-Nurse on 01-20-04 at 07:03 PM.]

Thanks, Kathleen - I was looking for this - should have known to go to the Craig site!

I have been eating better/less but have also been following the South Beach Diet (lowfat, low carbohydrates, low sugar).

I am active, but I do not exercised per se (I'm getting into a better routine).

Anyway, I can attribute 30 pounds of my weight loss to eating less carbohydrates. Calories are important but I have also found as a quadriplegic that carbohydrates are important to watch too, if you want to maintain a certain weight/lose weight.

-Lewis