Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Short List: What Every Kitchen Needs

A Short List: What Every Kitchen Needs

A Short List: What Every Kitchen Needs...

1) An assortment of pots and pans, not limited to, but definitely including: Large and small frying pans, assorted sauce pans, at least 1 non-stick frying pan, large stock pot, small 6" pans are great for frying eggs, and lids for all.

2) An 8" or 10" chef's knife, a serated knife for breads, etc., small paring knife, 12" carving knife, sharpening steel and polypropylene cutting board.

3) Assorted pyrex baking dishes. These usually come in a set of 3 different sizes. Cookie sheets, pie pans, and a pizza sheet.

4) Vegetable peeler, micro-plane grater, cheese grater, lemon reamer, garlic press, tongs, spatulas, spoons and slotted spoons, strainer, ladles, wisks, rubber spatula, can opener.

5) Assorted measuring cups, measuring spoons, a meat thermometer, candy thermometer and a food scale is real nice, too.

6) Everyone needs a Kitchenaid electric mixer. They come in many designer colors! A crock pot, vegetable juicer, and blender are also musts.

7) A good assortment of dried spices, oils and infused (flavored) oils, several different vinegars, a few extracts (vanilla, almond, pepermint, etc.) and several types of hot sauces.

These are not, by any means, the only things a good kitchen needs. I consider them to be the essentials from which to build.

Also, try to use fresh herbs whenever possible, with the exception of long-cooked stews and soups, etc. They have much a stronger and truer flavor. If you're using fresh herbs, only add them during the last few minutes of cooking or they get bitter and foul.

PLANT AN HERB GARDEN! You can do this in a window box, on the kitchen window sill (even in winter), in flower pots on a balcony or in the yard. Trust me...your food will be better...and herbs take zero maintenance except a little water.

I hope this will help those new to the kitchen or those wanting to expand their horizons a bit.

Buona Fortuna!

Kap

"It's not easy being green"

Hey Kap, great list. Wishing you all the best with the new forum.

Have to tell you bud, you forgot one thing on your list...a STOVE!

I think I have almost everything but the vinegar. I have corning wear instead of pirex. Kitchen-AID is the best mixer made. I have a proffesional (weighs 33 pounds)! I have a kichen towel under it so I can scoot it towards me when I need to use it. I have about 2 dozen flower sack towels. They are very soft cotton and much more absorbant that terry.
    Dishwasher is nice to have for all of the dishes used in preparation.

Pat

I don't need a stove, jon...i just use my heat vision like superman...lol

Kap

Originally posted by Kaprikorn1:

I don't need a stove, jon...i just use my heat vision like superman...lol

Kap

Or rub the different ingredients against each other, until they turn so hot that they cook themselves :-)

Cuisinart 77-10 Chefs Classic Stainless 10-Pc. Cookware Set

Great set of pots and pans for a great price. Just bought them for my soon-to-be-built kitchen.

-Lewis

And for the quad cooks:

Storage: Storing food in zip lock baggies is much easier than using tupperwear. Those lids are a pain to get off.

Buy pre-prepared veggies: The better supermarkets should have a decent selection of precut fresh raw veggies like brocolli, onions, cauliflower, green pepper, carrots etc., usually in wrapped packages in the produce section. Using graters, dicers and slicers like cuisinart can still be a hassle for those with limited hand use.

Meats: Most markets will also have pre-seasoned raw meats, that are already diced, shredded or wrapped. Eliminates the need for a lot of cutting and slicing. Poultry, fish and meatballs for example can be bought already breaded and or cooked.

Fruits: Peeling is simply out of the question for most quads so I buy ready to eat fruit. Supermarkets will also have "fresh fruit salads" already prepared if you want it super fresh. I usually buy fruit in glass jars, seems a little fresher than what's in the cans and plastic cups.

Since spreads can be difficult to manage, I would suggest buying butter or margarine in the squeeze containers. Same applies to ketchup, mustard, mayonaise and jelly.

I like Cuisinart cookware because it's lightweight and has that hole in the handle which I use to hook my thumb through for lifting. Cast iron and calphalon are too heavy and cumbersome, there's no easy way to grip them.

Non-stick plastic cooking utensils are a must too, they tend to be much lighter than metal or wood, easier to handle.

I couldn't live without my microwave oven. Nuke it!

Seneca...Thanks for your input regarding quad issues in the kitchen. This is the side I am inexperienced about. Anytime I get too "Para-centric" please jump in and help me out.

Kap

Banned

Cool list and cool forum

Thanks for the cool list and cool forum. I was doing a search for what pots and pans I should have in my kitchen when I ran across your post via google. Your list is cool, as is this whole fourm, I have a condition called Arnold Kiari Malformation type 1. Basiclly, the hole my spine goes through to connect to my brain is too small which increase spinal fluid pressure both in my skull and in my spine. I had odd symptoms throughout my life and was misdiagnosed until, my symptoms got really bad about 6 years ago, and then I got diagnosed correctly about 3 years ago. The meds the nurologist put me on have changed my life. I still have some symptoms, but they are a lot less severe than before. Like another user who mention the weight of a mixer as a factor, I too have to take such things into consideration myself. In my search tonight, I ran across a good video on youtube.com of a chef where hew explains what pots and pans we all need in our kitchen, the link is
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SVrhTmlx7c

Take Care