Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: McDonalds french fries

McDonalds french fries

I have two children, so my minivan stays a wreck most of the time. I decided to clean it out this weekend and cleaned out a compartment I KNOW I haven't used since the summer. Anyway, I found a french fry, probably from McDonalds. Ok, it had been in there since, say, August, but it looked like it was 10 minutes old! No mold or deterioration of any sort.

Now ... that scares me. What have we been eating? It can't be real food! Any other cooked starch, even potatoes, kept in my refrigerator, starts to mold or something gross after a week or so. This was in there 4-5 months!!! If I'd stuck it in a box of fresh french fries, no one would have noticed any difference. YUCK!

When I was in high school (mid 70s), I worked at the first Wendy's in our town. I learned that Frosties are not dairy products but PETROLUEM products! GAG! So that really makes me wonder what those fries are made of ...

Can anyone help me here? Those fries can't be made w/real potatoes!

Probably the huge amount of oil/preservitives that they have.

What's up with the frosties? I love Wendy's frosties.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

In junior high, we used to live off McDicks' "food", but when everyone started getting their first jobs there, word spread about what their "food" really consisted of, and we stopped eating there pretty damn quick.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." - Oscar Wilde

Here's the list of ingredients, from ABCnews article:

Meet the Ingredients: Fries Then & Now

How the ingredients list of McDonald's french fries changed, overnight.
    Original ingredient list:
    Potatoes, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, natural flavor, dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (to preserve natural color). Cooked in partially hydrogenated soybean and corn oils, TBHQ (to protect flavor).

Revision:
    Potatoes, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, natural flavor (beef source), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (to preserve natural color). Cooked in partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, (may contain partially hydrogenated soybean oil and/or partially hydrogenated corn oil and/or partially hydrogenated canola oil and/or cottonseed oil and/or sunflower oil and/or corn oil). TBHQ and citric acid added to help preserve freshness. Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an anti-foaming agent.

For the full article, see: link

I have a bun that i have been saving for the last 6 months, and i can not get myself to throw i out. It is still soft and looks pretty fresh. I usually bake my own bread, but sometimes it happens that i "forget". But looking at that piece of bread i know why i should do it :-)

i'm sure it's prolly regulated a little better than this but seems many of the restaurants catering to the fast and quick crowd (supposedly) can just wave a potatoe over the fryer and call it fries. same thing with the filler burgers. 1/4 pounder with cheese, notice they don't say 1/4lb of 100% beef (starting weight) with 100%dairy cheese. oh well, on those clog ur artery, hell with the diet days, it still nice to endulge.

i want pizza.

jimnms, agreed. I love Frosty's!

Petroleum products?

Say it ain't so Marcomo..

Originally posted by ChrisD:

jimnms, agreed. I love Frosty's!
    Ever tried dipping your French fries in your Frosty? Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

One even scarier,In Nov of 98,I attended a sports clinic on diet and nutrition, The theme was "you are what you eat"!. The topic was based on preservitives in foods. The speaker then produced a package of Twinkies he had carried in his briefcase for 14 years as proof ,verified by date on package!, still just as soft and spongey as day one.

Wendys frosties are great but their chili is a mystery! ack.
    DIGG.