Thread: Post your favorite recipes here!

Post your favorite recipes here!

With the holidays coming, and with food on our minds, here's a place to post your favorite recipes. I'll start with a chili recipe of mine, and a couple of Christmas cookie recipes.

SPICE RACK RED CHILI WITH BEANS

¾ lb. Ground beef
    1 tsp. Celery seed
    ¾ lb. Ground pork
    1 T. mild chile powder blend
    1 cup onion, ½ inch dice
    ½ - 1 T. ancho chile powder*
    1 cup red bell pepper, ½ inch dice
    1 tsp. Chipotle chile powder*
    1 cup green bell pepper, ½ inch dice
    2 bay leaves
    1-2 fresh jalepenos, minced*
    1 T. ground cumin
    4 cloves garlic, rough chopped
    1 tsp. whole cumin
    ½ - 1 T. vegetable oil
    1 T. dried marjoram
    1 12 oz. bottle of beer**
    2 tsp. dried tarragon
    2 14 ½ oz. cans pinto beans, drained
    1 tsp. coriander
    ¼ cup brewed strong coffee
    2 tsp. salt
    2 tsp. Unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tsp. black pepper
    1 7 oz. can Ortega mild green chiles 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, leaves and stems
    1 cup crushed plum tomatoes
    1 14 oz. can beef stock

Mix all dry spices/herbs together in a small bowl, and set aside. In a Dutch oven or large pot , heat ½ T. oil over medium heat. Add ground pork and ground beef and cook over medium heat until just cooked through, breaking up any large pieces. Remove the meat from the pot and set aside. Turn the heat to medium high and add the onions, jalepenos, red and green bell peppers, and garlic; saute until just soft ( 3-4 minutes), adding another ½ T. of oil if needed. Add the dry spice mixture and cook 1 minute until the spices are fragrant. Add the meat back in to the pot and stir to mix well.

Add the beer, tomatoes, coffee, stock, green chiles, and cocoa powder. Stir well, and bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 1 hour. Add the pinto beans and simmer another 45 minutes. Add the chopped cilantro, and add more salt if needed. Remove bay leaves before serving.

* For a milder chili, use smaller quantities of these ingredients. For a really spicy chili, increase at your own risk!
    ** Any lager type beer - I used Sam Adams.

Quantity: 2 quarts.

Servings: Makes eight 1 cup servings, or six 1 ½ cup servings.

CHOCOLATE SAMBUCCA CRINKLE COOKIES
    Makes about 30.

1 ½ cups flour
    1T baking powder
    ½ tsp. salt
    12oz.semisweet chocolate
    4T butter
    2 large eggs
    ½ cup chopped walnuts
    ½ cup Sambuca
    2T granulated sugar
    1 cup powdered sugar

Sift together flour, baking powder, salt; melt chocolate with buter; lightly whisk together eggs, walnuts, Sambuca, and granulated sugar in another bowl. Stir in flour mixture and chocolate (batter will be thin). Chill,covered til firm,about 2 hours.
    Preheat oven to 350. Roll dough by T. into balls and roll balls in powdered sugar. Place 2 inches apart on lightly buttered baking sheets. Bake about 10-12 minutes, til puffed and cracked but centers are still soft

MY KILLER BROWNIES

3/4 cup melted butter
    ½ tsp. baking powder
    3 eggs
    1cup sugar
    ½ cup dark brown sugar
    1 scant cup flour
    ½ tsp. salt
    2 tsp. vanilla
    ½ cup cocoa
    1/3 cup hot brewed espresso
    3T Kahlua
    1/3 cup hot fudge topping

Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 7 X 11 pan.

Blend butter, sugars, vanilla; add eggs, beat. Mix together hot fudge topping, espresso and kahlua, and stir in. Mix together all dry ingredients, and add gradually til well blended. Spread in pan; bake for 40-45 minutes.

PEANUT BUTTER CUPS

1 cup peanut butter
    2 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
    1 cup powdered sugar
    1 cup melted butter
    12 oz. pkg. milk chocolate chips*

Combine cracker crumbs and butter and sugar and peanut butter; set in fridge to set for 3-4 hours. Melt chocolate chips and put a little into candy foil cups; make a small ball of peanut butter mixture and place on top; cover completely with more melted chocolate. Or, spread graham cracker mixture into 13x9 pan and refrigerate til set; then spread melted chips over top.

*OR - Use 12 oz. of good milk chocolate - Lindt, Ghirardelli, Dove. To melt chocolate, place in a glass or microwave safe bowl, and nuke for about a minute at a low setting (my microwave has settings 1-10, I use 3). Stir the chocolate; if the bottom of the bowl is warm, don't nuke any more, just keep stirring til the rest of the chocolate melts.

Happy Cooking!

This is really yummy. I make it every year for Thanksgiving, but it would also work for Christmas or any other festive meal:

Sweet Potato Casserole
    (from the Sweet Potato Queens)

1 40 oz. can sweet potatoes, drained
    3/4 c. brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1/2 c. milk
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/3 cube butter
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/4 tsp. each nutmeg and allspice

Mix well. Pour into greased pan (9X13)

Topping
    1 c. brown sugar
    1/2 c. flour
    1/3 c. melted butter
    1 c. pecans, chopped
    1 tsp. vanilla
    Mix topping and crumble over potato mixture.

Bake at 350 oF for 35-40 min. Serve hot.

(KLD)

really simple recipe and i get asked to make it allllllll the time.

take 1 bag of frozen shredded hash browns lay them in a 9x 13 pan.

melt 1 stick butter, 1lb velveeta and then add 1 pint half and half cream. mix untill smooth

pour mix over potatos and bake in oven at 350 for 60 mintes. i like to add shredded cheese, bacon bits or crumbled potato chips on top.

it is something i started making as a kid (my own concoction) and i am always asked to bring it.

Kath - I like the idea of that streusal topping - maybe I'll add it to my maple-bourbon sweet potatoes next year!

Ohiochica - And the name of that dish - 'Heart attack'?! Sounds like a good dish for a Sunday afternoon football game!

We've just started making casserole type dish using Stove Top stuffing, chicken wings and frozen veg mix. The recipe is on the back of the stuffing box. It's yummy and EASY!

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

This is really yummy. I make it every year for Thanksgiving, but it would also work for Christmas or any other festive meal:

_Sweet Potato Casserole_
    (from the Sweet Potato Queens)

1 40 oz. can sweet potatoes, drained
    3/4 c. brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1/2 c. milk
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/3 cube butter
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/4 tsp. each nutmeg and allspice

Mix well. Pour into greased pan (9X13)

Topping
    1 c. brown sugar
    1/2 c. flour
    1/3 c. melted butter
    1 c. pecans, chopped
    1 tsp. vanilla
    Mix topping and crumble over potato mixture.

Bake at 350 oF for 35-40 min. Serve hot.

(KLD)
    Went to the Christmas Party at Project Walk last Friday and someone had this recipe. It is absolutely delicious and I am sure glad that you posted the recipe here. Will make it for sure for our Christmas dinner.

What's everyone making for play-off games and the Superbowl?

We're having a 'do' tomorrow for the 4 oclock game; having roasted oysters with all the accompaniments and slaw; sliced tenderloin on French bread with peppercorn sauce; grilled portobello mushrooms on same, and a cheese plate. And brownies for dessert!