Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Post your vegetarian recipes here!

Darn it! I was going to finally make the Stroganoff tonight but I was just at the grocery store and I couldn't remember "can of French's mushroom gravy"! I knew it was French's something, and I ended up getting a package of French's Stroganoff Sauce Mix.

So I guess I'll try to make it with this stuff. I hope it works.

Beaker, don't sweat it! Part of the 'fun' of learning to cook is to be flexible; I'm sure the stroggie will turn out fine - and look, you've created a new recipe!

Just found this website - looks like some good recipes!

http://vegsource.com/

Veggie Teriyaki Rice and veggies

1 box 'teriyaki rice'; I think Uncle Ben's makes one, or Goya, or Lipton; cook as directed.

Pkg of frozen oriental vegetables

Teriyaki sauce - Kikkoman is the standard, although store brands are pretty good now.

If you like, some veggie 'chicken' product; Gardenburger makes a 'grilled chicken pattie'; or you could use a burger pattie; thaw it and cut into thin slices.

Heat a skillet to med high, add a little oil, and just throw the frozen veggies right in; stir a little til they're just thawed, add the sliced veggie pattie, and then the rice. Stir it all around, cook just til everything is warm, and add the teriyaki sauce to your taste.

Okay, I'm on a roll tonite! Beaker's predicament sparked these thoughts:

Build a 'pantry' of stock items you can use in a variety of dishes. Some of the more standard items I have are;

-Tomato Sauce
    -Pasta sauce
    -French's Mushroom Gravy*
    -Vegetable broth
    -Pasta of all kinds
    -soy sauce
    -Rice of all kinds - including box mixes - if any of you have access to the 'Goya' products, their boxed rice mixes are pretty good.
    Frozen veggies - a must! All kinds, including some of the mixed varieties like the oriental kind. And I always keep a big bag of frozen broccoli pieces on hand, for throwing in an omelet, or adding to pizza, or whatever.
    -Canned beans - yes, dried beans are the best, but canned are fine in most things, for a quick soup, or dip, or side dish.
    -Canned mushrooms
    -Spices, herbs, condiments, hot sauces, or whatever
    -mustard, mayo, ketchup

If you keep your pantry pretty well stocked, you have the basics for almost any dinner, and can just build on what you have.

Don't be afraid to experiment!

* I use this - a LOT! Cook up a boca burger, put some gravy over it, and you have 'salisbury steak'! You can dress it up if you like, with some fried onions, garlic powder, and a little dash of red wine.

Or - Cook up some of those 'crumbles', add the gravy, and serve over mashed potatoes.

Wow! I made it and it actually turned out!

Now I'll check out the Teriyaki recipe. Thanks!

(The only things I have in my pantry that you listed are pasta, soy sauce, spices, mustard, mayo, and ketchup )

Hey I'm not a vegetarian, but I think I got a couple of recipes that might help you stay the course! They have cheese in them, but I think they both have enough flavor where you could omit the cheese, or you might possibly use one of those substitutes yall talk about. Also I don't know how the egg and milk substitutes work in baking. Anyway, here goes:

Killer Cornbread
    2 cups sifted flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    7 teaspoons baking powder
    2 level teaspoons salt
    3 teaspoons garlic powder (or you can use fresh chopped garlic)
    2 cups cornmeal
    4 eggs
    2 cups milk
    1/2 cup vegetable shortening
    2 cups chopped onion
    2 cans cream style corn
    4 tablespoons chopped jalepeno peppers
    2 cups grated cheddar cheese
    This is a wet cornbread mix and should be baked into muffins at a relatively low temperature for cornbread, about 375 degrees

Spinach Enchiladas
    This is my recipe that I made up so I don't know exact measurements. I just kind of have plenty of ingredients, eyeball it and throw it together. I'll try to give the proportions of the ingredients, but realize it won't be exact!

1 16 ounce jar green chile enchilada sauce
    1 box of frozen spinach (thawed and squeezed dry)
    1 medium onion
    12 corn tortillas
    8 ounces shredded monterrey jack cheese
    olive oil (enough to dip tortillas in)

Heat olive oil in skillet and dip tortillas into hot oil quickly on each side just long enough to soften and drain on paper towel. Chop the onion and saute' in olive oil. When onion is softened, add drained spinach to pan and cook just long enough to soften spinach slightly. To each tortilla spread a small amount of sauce, then add a small amount of spinach and onion mixture, then top with monterrey jack cheese and roll. Place all enchiladas in a baking pan and cover with remaining sauce and top with the remaining cheese. Bake at about 350 for 30 minutes more or less, till it looks right to you.

The best green chile sauce that I've ever eaten from a jar or can comes from Albuquerque, New Mexico. They have a website and will deliver it right to your door at a very reasonable price. The green chile has many uses and is a good thing to have on hand as one of your condiments. Great on potatoes. The website is www.505chile.com.
    Hey Piglet, you're from Alabama and I think they eat chicken fried steak in Alabama don't they? I've heard that Portibella mushrooms have a beefy taste and vegetarians use them for a meat substitute. Have you ever tried to chicken fry one of those big mushrooms and make gravy for it? Sounds good. I think I'd try it!

[This message was edited by PC on 10-30-03 at 08:15 PM.]

[This message was edited by PC on 10-30-03 at 08:20 PM.]

Here are a few of my favorite recipes that are all pretty easy to make and delicious!

Yummy Rice and Beans

1 Tbsp oil
    1 medium onion
    2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
    2 medium tomatoes, diced
    1 medium zucchini, chopped
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1 16 oz can beans (kidney, black, garbanzo),drained
    Salt to taste
    Pepper to taste
    1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Heat the oil in a large skillet, add the onion and garlic, saute them until soft. Add the tomatoes,zucchini and oregano. Cover the skillet and simmer for about 5 minutes or until the veggies are tender-crisp. Add the beans and simmer until mixture is heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over rice (brown rice is best!) and sprinkle cheese over the top.

You can modify this recipe and use whatever veggies you like or have on hand like yellow squash, eggplant, peppers, canned corn, etc. I usually make mine with black beans and it is really good! It's also good to put a little of your favorite salsa over the top.

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

1 package dry yeast
    1 cup warm water
    1 Tbsp honey
    2 cups all purpose flour
    1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup cornmeal
    1 tsp salt
    Cooking spray

Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water in a large mixing bowl and let stand for 5 minutes. Combine remaining 3/4 cup warm water with honey and add to yeast mixture, stirring gently. Gradually stir the flours, cornmeal, and salt into the yeast mixture to form a soft dough. Knead for a few minutes until the dough is soft and elastic. Place dough in a bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place free of drafts for about 30 minutes. Punch dough down and place on pizza pan coated with cooking spray. Enjoy your pizza!

Italian stuffed portabellos

4 large portabellos
    3 Tbsp olive oil
    1 cup minced onion
    3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
    2/3 cup minced red bell peppers (about 2 peppers)
    3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
    2/3 cup ricotta cheese
    1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 Tbsp bread crumbs

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil a baking dish. Clean mushrooms and twist off stems.

In a skillet, warm 2 Tbsp oil and saute the onions for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften. Add the garlic and peppers and saute for 5 more minutes. Set aside. In a bowl, mix together the basil, ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, salt, and bread crumbs. Stir the veggies into the cheese mixture. Brush the portabellos with the remaining olive oil and place them gill side up in the baking dish. Mound the cheese mixture on each portabello. Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes until the mushrooms release their juices and the cheese is melted.

I have more but my fingers are tired from typing (and correcting all my typos!). I'll post a few more later!

[This message was edited by Phillis on 11-01-03 at 10:49 AM.]

PN and Phillis, thanks for posting the recipes. They look great! I think I will try making each one eventually, as I'm so tired of the things I have been making.

I was wondering if anyone has an awesome spaghetti sauce recipe? I've always just warmed up a jar of store bought pre-made sauce, but they taste kind of weird. Some are okay, but I'm really looking for that homemade taste. I don't like a real "meaty" or chunky sauce. Just something real tasty.

Okay, Beaker, here ya go!

A little preface, before I give the ingredients; anything you make is only as good as the ingredients you put into it; the brands I may recommend might be a little more $$, but worth it in the end!

Marinara Sauce

2 Large cans Muir Glen tomatoes -either whole or diced, doesn't matter

2 cloves of garlic, mashed

1/4 cup dry white wine - Pinot grigio, or chardonnay - NOT 'Holland Cooking Wine' - Bad stuff, bad, bad stuff!!!

About 10 basil leaves, chopped

3-4 tablespoons olive oil

salt/pepper to taste

Heat oil in a skillet (NOT a deep pot!) to medium, add chopped garlic and cook 1 minute. Add the white wine, turn the head to high, and cook til the wine reduces by about half. Add both cans of tomatoes, stir around, and cook at a medium high heat til the moisture starts going away, and the tomatoes begin to break down. Add the basil leaves, stir in, and you're done!

This is about 15 minutes start to finish, and is clean, simple, bright, and VERY Italian!