Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Post your vegetarian recipes here!

well said beaker! i love to cook but i cant see wasting alllllll that time making something that i will not touch! come on guys POST RECIPES!!!!!!!!

Giving this some thought, if you folks give me some feedback on your skill levels, and the types of food you like, I can post some more recipes for you. (For those of you who don't know my background, I've worked in restaurants, and done private catering for the last 10 or so years, and am an avid foodie! Hubbie and son are vegetarians).

Also a few suggestions might be to pick up some vegetarian cookbooks; Amazon has some used for pretty good prices. A few words about using a recipe, and learning to cook in general:

1 - Read the ENTIRE recipe through before you start. You'll know what to start the oven temp at, what steps the recipe has, how many bowls/utensils you'll need, etc. Also makes sure you have all the ingredients!

2. Have everything ready before you start cooking; in French cooking, this is called 'mise en place'(mees-n-plaz), which means 'everything in its place. Ever watch a cooking show where the chef has everything in little bowls in front of him/her? Once you have that skillet hot, your food should be ready to go.

3. If you have access to the Food Network, watch some shows for some basic techniques. Basics like chopping, sauteeing, baking, etc. carry over into all kinds of cooking - the principles are the same, whether they're veggie recipes or not.

And lastly, don't be afraid to experiment! Once you have the 'basics' down, you can start being a chemist in the kitchen, and learn to modify recipes to suit your own tastes.

Having said that, here are a couple of 'cheap and easy' things I do 'on the fly' for my guys; they use easy ingredients, and are simple to put together.

Veggie 'Beef' Strogonoff

1 pkg. Morningstar Farms Veggie crumbles (if you can't find these, get some 'veggie burgers', thaw them and crumble them up)

1 small chopped onion

2-3 tablespoons of oil

1 can mushroom pieces (cheaper to buy the pieces than sliced ones!), drained

1 can French's Mushroom Gravy (there is NO meat in this!), thinned with 1/2 can of water

1/2 cup sour cream (use the tofu sour cream if you're a vegan)

1/2 tsp. garlic powder, salt/pepper to taste

1/4 cup red wine (optional)

Heat a skillet to med. high, and put 1 tablespoon oil in the skillet. Add the chopped onion, and cook til the onion starts to get brown on the edges. Add the veggie 'crumbles', and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Add the drained mushrooms, garlic powder, salt/pepper, the wine and the thinned out gravy. Turn heat to med low and cook for 2-3 minutes, til just heated. Taste for seasoning, add more salt/pepper to taste. Add the sour cream, and stir just til mixed through. Don't let the mixture boil after you add the sour cream, or it'll curdle.

Serve over cooked noodles or rice.

Bon appetit!

Thanks Marmalady!

The Strogonoff recipe looks like something I just might be able to pull off!

My skill level: nothing much more difficult than the Strogonoff recipe you posted.

Types of foods I like: I like soups and salads a lot. Pastas. Potato dishes. Eggs sort of gross me out, so although I will eat them, I don't like things that contain a lot of egg, like omlettes and stuff like that.

I'm looking forward to more recipes!

(Wish I had some to share)

This sounds great...and pretty quick too! My skill level is that I can cook (not bake!) pretty much anything, BUT I have very little time to put into it, so I usually end up doing the same old..."cook what you know and just leave the meat out" routine! I think I'm going to try making it with Boca Burgers crumbled because they are my favorite substitute. Thanks!! Carol

Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh!", he whispered. "Yes, Piglet?" "Nothing", said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. "I just wanted to be sure of you."

Oh! By "bake" I meant, I'm not a good baker...I bake food in the oven, but things like desserts are just not my thing. I wish they were, but I don't have the knack for it! But, I love main dishes I can bake! Carol

Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh!", he whispered. "Yes, Piglet?" "Nothing", said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. "I just wanted to be sure of you."

Okay, now I have an idea where you're going; I'll get some more recipes later today, after work.

Just one quick one, tho - You can do 'Veggie Beefaroni' almost the same way as the stroganoff;

veggie crumbles sauteed with a little onion/garlic and green pepper if you like it; a small can of plain tomato sauce added to the veggie crumbles (* see note below); and cooked for a minute or so; can or jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce; cooked pasta.

* Whenever you're cooking with the veggieburger stuff and you'll be adding a sauce, remember that the veggieburger soaks up a lot of the liquid in a recipe, so compensate by adding a little more liquid either in the form of water, or veggie stock, or the liquid you're adding.

Happy Cooking!

Thank you Marmalady! You are too sweet!

Here are some veggie 'substitutes':

Animal ingredient Veggie safe alternative(s)
    Buttermilk Curdled soy milk (1 c soy milk + 2 T lemon juice or white vinegar)
    Cheese Soy cheese,* nut cheese
    Cottage/Ricotta cheese Crumbled tofu, tofu cheese
    Eggs Egg substitute, soy eggs, puréed tofu, flaxseed
    Gelatin Agar, arrowroot, corn starch, guar gum, xanthan gum
    Honey Maple syrup, molasses, succanat
    Mayonnaise Tofu mayonnaise
    Meat Eggplant, portabello mushrooms, tofu, beans, seitan, tempeh, textured vegetable protein (TVP)
    Meat/Chicken stock Vegetable stock, garlic broth, water/wine with soy sauce (1-2 T soy sauce per cup liquid)
    Milk Soy milk, rice milk, almond milk, oat milk
    Milk chocolate Carob
    Protein sources Nuts, beans, tofu, tempeh, (TVP)
    Sour cream Tofu sour cream
    Sugar (refined white) Natural sugar, succanat, fruit juice
    Yogurt Soy yogurt

*Not all soy cheese is vegan - it may contain casein, a milk protein, so be sure to read the list of ingredients.

From this excellent website:

http://veggietable.allinfo-about.com...titutions.html

Marmalady

Just wanted to let you know that I made the "beef" strogonoff last night and I loved it...quick, easy, yummy, and very filling! My meat-eating hubby liked it too! Good thing, cause it made enough to have leftovers tonight! Thanks! Carol

Glad you liked it, Carol! It's been a little nutsy here lately, but I promise I'll get some more up soon.