Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rare Hamburger?

Medium-Rare Please, And Deliver It to My Cave

Medium-Rare Please, And Deliver It to My Cave
    Fri Sep 6, 5:06 PM ET
    By Serena Gordon
    HealthScoutNews Reporter

FRIDAY, Sept. 6 (HealthScoutNews) -- The recent discovery of a 7,700-year-old female thighbone has given scientists new insight into the eating habits of our ancient ancestors.

It appears they didn't even come close to following a balanced diet.

Using stable isotope analysis, researchers from the University of Sheffield and Bradford University in England found the woman ate nearly as much meat as a wolf.

Dubbed the Lady of Trent, the woman's thighbone was found during excavation of a gravel pit in a dried up channel of the River Trent in Staythorpe. Scientists believe the woman lived during the Mesolithic era.

Analysis of nitrogen isotopes in bone measure how much meat was present in a person's diet over a period of several years, and carbon isotopes can be used to measure the amount of marine or land-based food sources in the diet, according to the University of Sheffield archaeologist who found the bone, Glyn Davies.

"For the meat, her nitrogen figure was 9.3. For comparison, a cow would have a figure of about six and a carnivore like a wolf around 10 or more," says Davies. "This suggests that her diet included a lot of meat, but would have included some plants."

Davies says the Lady of Trent ate no marine life, which wasn't surprising because she lived 35 miles from the coast.

The archaeologists also found bones from deer and wild cattle near the woman's thighbone. These animal bones had cut marks on them, suggesting they had been butchered, Davies says.

Of course, just because our ancestors might have eaten this way, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a healthier way to live.

"Our ancestors made due with what they had to eat," says New York University nutritionist Samantha Heller, explaining that other research has found people who lived near the coast ate mostly fish.

Humans live much longer lives now, Heller points out. Our ancestors probably died long before heart disease, diabetes or cancer would have set in, she says. Plus, they were much more physically active than people are today.

Most important, she says, this is only the bone of one woman, and you can't judge the diet of an entire people by one person.

If you want to stay healthy, avoid the Lady of Trent's diet, Heller advises. Eat a mostly plant-based diet with lots of vegetables, legumes and whole grains.

"Don't eat a lot of full-fat animal products. We know that a high consumption of saturated fat and cholesterol greatly increases our risk of heart disease," she adds.

What To Do

To learn more about the Mesolithic period and what people might have eaten back then, visit the University of Leicester or the Chichester District Museum.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._it_to_my_cave

==============================
    "Experience teaches that, of all the emotions, fear stands alone in its power to move us, or to capture us in its grip forever. In a world of terrors, there is nothing more fearsome that the unknown...especially when what is unknown is ourselves." Outer Limits(Fear Itself)

calf fries

one requirment in rehab was to cook something, turns out Dad was casterating some calves so ask him to bring a few nuts up to rehab. me & a guy from nebraska cooked the fries. my ocupational therapist was going to join us for the meal along with a few other people from rehab. my o/t vomited while we were cutting the nuts up. she left then the bad odor calf fries put off while cooking scared off the rest of the crowd.

we had one of the best calf fry dinners ever.

the next month the hospital cooked calf fries, or rocky mountain oysters they called them. i bit into one it tasted terrible & it was green? i have never seen a green calf nut but all them from rehab my o/t included were bragging about how good the rocky mountain oysters were, heck they think rotten green fries taste good they should have tried fresh ones.

Thanks for sharing, CLC! I think that even I, cowgirl/cave-woman that I am, would have to stop at rocky mountain oysters!

No Way!

You have got to be joking. Rare hamburglers one thing but that's down right unbelieveable. If it's true, no offence but you're eating habits are like really, really weird! Do you eat their boobies too? "tender titties" or "barbequed boobies"

Dogger, you want to sell more sheep? Sell it tiny! I hate mutton and that's what lamb is here in the US and most of it from you folks. Spring lamb my ass! I finally fell in love with lamb in Italy where a leg feeds 3 if there's a first course. That's 4 months old. Romans specialize in 1 month old lamb. Either one sure tastes so much better than mutton!

And I still have an apron from the Gilroy Garlic festival in California--"10 million coyotes can't be wrong. Eat American lamb!"

same thing different name !

CLC we call them ''bush oysters '' here

dogger

How many people throw away the chicken gizzards, heads, and feet? It is astonishing to me how much good protein American throw away. Wise.

Wise, you're so right about the proteins Americans just discard - if you look at dishes from Europe and Asia, every part of the animal is utilized. And at one time in the US, 'offal' dishes were a part of the common diet, but during the late '50's and early '60's, the advent of so many 'convenience' foods turned the home cook away from preparing these and other dishes 'from scratch', and thus began the whole 'convenience cooking' generation.

In Italy and France in particular, dishes of kidney, brain, jowl, etc. are still quite common and a part of the national 'cuisine' of the country.

Maybe we should start a thread on how to eat chicken feet while out at a dim sum restaurant?!

marmelady: here they say, at the "slaghterhouses", that the only part from a pig they do not process into food, is the scream.. And look at the scotchmen, their national dish is a sheep stommach with all sorts of strange things in, its called haggish. And to be honest, food like lambs liver, and calveshearts in creamy brown sauce is really delicious.

Wise Young: I am happy I have never been served chicken feet, I am sure I would not know how to appreciate it :-)

This thread is like torture for this vegetarian! Yet I keep coming back. I just can't stay away.

For years and years my dad made fun of my vegetarianism. Then one day he finally agreed to try a veggie burger. Now it's the only kind of burger he eats. It may not taste as good as a regular burger, but it does taste good, and it's much more healthy. AND, a beautiful cow didn't have to die!

Okay, I'm going to go eat my dandelion salad now. (Just kidding)