Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rare Hamburger?

Originally posted by seneca:

Monkey, in all fairness, don't you guys eat big fat slabs of bacon up there?
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Rare" burgers

I like my burgers just a little pink in the middle. Cooked meat does not have to be leather-tough!! If the meat is cooked but still pink then I will eat it 'til the cows come home!!

"And so it begins."

Oh seneca!

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by seneca:

Monkey, in all fairness, don't you guys eat big fat slabs of bacon up there?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I WISH!!! We make awesome bacon but we hardly ever eat it here, once or twice a year for me Especially in BC. We're the most healthiest of all Canadians, we're total health nuts here. They say it's cause we're on the coast, ocean, mountains and our climate, there's so much to do all year around. I think people would get looked at funny if they ordered bacon these days. Certainly nothing like rare hamburger though. (eeeww gaad)

OK you guys!

This is from your own USDA:

What can you do to prevent E. coli O157:H7 infection?

Cook all ground beef and hamburger thoroughly. Because ground beef can turn brown before disease-causing bacteria are killed, use a digital instant-read meat thermometer to ensure thorough cooking. Ground beef should be cooked until a thermometer inserted into several parts of the patty, including the thickest part, reads at least 160º F. Persons who cook ground beef without using a thermometer can decrease their risk of illness by not eating ground beef patties that are still pink in the middle.

If you are served an undercooked hamburger or other ground beef product in a restaurant, send it back for further cooking. You may want to ask for a new bun and a clean plate, too.

Avoid spreading harmful bacteria in your kitchen. Keep raw meat separate from ready-to-eat foods. Wash hands, counters, and utensils with hot soapy water after they touch raw meat. Never place cooked hamburgers or ground beef on the unwashed plate that held raw patties. Wash meat thermometers in between tests of patties that require further cooking.

Avoid swallowing lake or pool water while swimming. See more information about this.

Make sure that persons with diarrhea, especially children, wash their hands carefully with soap after bowel movements to reduce the risk of spreading infection, and that persons wash hands after changing soiled diapers. Anyone with a diarrheal illness should avoid swimming in public pools or lakes, sharing baths with others, and preparing food for others.

For more information about reducing your risk of foodborne illness, visit the US Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service website at: http://www.fsis.usda.gov or the Partnership for Food Safety Education at: For more advice on cooking ground beef, visit the U.S. Department of Agriculture web site at: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/topics/gb.htm

I edited some of it but I left in the part about swimming in a pool for the next time you get the trots.

I'm on your side on this one, Marmalady. Beef cooked well done just gets tough and loses it's flavor, IMO. Sorry Monkeygirl, but if you have a weak stomach and like cooked meat, DON'T READ THE REST OF THIS POST! The reason meat turns from red to brown with cooking is because that's just the color of cooked blood. It's the cooked blood from meat juices that makes gravy brown too. Pure protein without blood in it is nearly transparent when raw and turns white when cooked. Don't believe me - look at egg white. Mostly made up of protein suspended in water. Sorry if that grosses anyone out, but I warned you!

O.k. I guess I have to gross you out too! I like my steak and burgers medium rare. I used to like "cannibal burgers" (raw hamburger with a mixture of seasonings) but I have to admit the E Coli thing has scared me away from that.

I eat Rare Steak

I guess I will add that I eat medium rare Hamburgers too, depending on where they come from. I used to order rare hamburgers from a restaurant that I worked in , but they had the highest quality of meat available. American beef is raised in this Country where there is no Mad cow disease. But if it arrives and I'm meant to have it, then I guess I'll have to deal with it then. Haven't gotten sick from it yet, and have a healthy immune system. So I guess I'll take my chances. But I'm a risk taker, what can I say.

Oh definitely Marm. Dad and I would go to this butcher and Dad would choose the cut and then the butcher would trim it of most fat and into a clean new hand grinder. Same in France and Italy.

But poultry? Sorry. We had some idiots at a new upscale place in Milano try to sell us thin slices of basically raw duck breast. Ewww Sent that back in a hurry. And even after 3 or 4 episodes of cholera slamanella from bad but well cooked seafood in the Naples area I'll still eat sushi here but only after a really good look around. Those places must be spotless and the fish incredibly fresh.

And hey, there's nothing wrong with veggie burgers!

just eat more of it !

as someone who produces livestock for sale as meat , i don't care how you cook it .as long as you keep on buying it , you can incinerate it with a flame thrower !! time for me to go and cook 6 or 8 mutton chops [cutlets or ribs ] .
    EVERYONE EAT UP .
    Dr. Young don't even mention BSE or foot and mouth , if either of them get into Australia i'll have to walk off ..

thank you
    dogger

[This message was edited by dogger on Sep 06, 2002 at 06:13 AM.]

You know, all they have to do is irradiate fresh meat to sterilize it and eliminate the risk of bacterial contamination. People should realize that cooking meat does not eliminate prions (which causes the "mad" cow disease). Prions remain in meat even if you have it "well-done".

In Japan, they have made an art and cult of eating raw fish. Fish is particularly well-suited for this purpose because contaminated fish smells bad and only very fresh fish meat can be used for this purpose.

I personally did not understand the difference between fresh and aged beef until several years ago when I visited Uruguay to give a lecture on spinal cord injury. In Uruguay, they eat beef fresh. I mean, really fresh. They prefer to kill the cattle on the same day as the eating. There is a real difference between fresh and "aged" meat. Fresh meat tastes different and is not mushy. In the United States and Canada, most of the beef is "aged" for days or weeks.

Wise.