Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rare Hamburger?

Vic, being in the food business, I'm well aware of the dishes you describe! But are they in the mainstream 'food culture'? Not really.

Haggis is tame; how about our Pennsylvania Dutch 'head cheese' - stop it, guys, it's not what you think! Basically it's boiled pig head that gets all jellied up and put in a mold. Sorry, Monkeygirl!

Beaker, I live with two vegetarians - hubbie and son. When I really want to torture them, I make fried chicken; the smell drives 'em nuts!

And getting back to the original topic of rare burger or steak tartar, I find that much less repulsive than the nasty little Mexican habit of fried crickets!

marmalady is the most wonderful cook! I can attest to that because she has catered several of our events in the Center.

Vic, you can indeed go to almost any Chinese restaurant that caters to Chinese and serves dim sum, and get chicken's feet and also duck's feet, as well as duck tongues and fish cheeks. Many Chinese believe that chicken's feet contain great nutrients that are therapeutic. I bet that if I did an analysis of chicken's feet, I will find an inordinate amount of glucosamine and other goodies. Also, there are a number of concoctions that Chinese have involving chicken's feet for wound-healing.

Wise.

I like this thread, food is something we eat every day, so I believe we should spend lots of time preparing it and ofcourse talking about it and eating it :-).

Marmalady, I do think, that both liver and heart is pretty common around here, you will find it at the supermarket in the cooler, ready to go take home and prepare, although they seldom have lamb, you will need to go to the butcher for that. You can even buy heart in creamed sauce canned, so people only need to open the can and heat it. The dutch head cheese you mention, is a common christmas dish here at our christmas gatherings where we can sit around and eat different dishes for hours, we eat it on black bread with mustard, very tastefull. I could have mentioned the more strange dishes I have heard about, but I dont think you would like hearing about it.

Wise, I trust you, that chickenfeet taste good, I just let my vivid imagination get away with me, so I pictured a plate filled with feet from chicken with toes sticking up evrywhere :-) I once had froglegs in a chineese restaurant - I thought I had ordered fish, so today I am a bit more carefull when ordering.

I really think we could share some interesting recipes on this forum with food from our "national" kitchen, so now i just ask, does anyone have any interesting recipees they would like to share ?

Clear up a little confusion for me, please

Originally posted by Marmalady:

In Italy and France in particular, dishes of kidney, brain, jowl, etc. are still quite common and a part of the national 'cuisine' of the country.

"And so it begins."

Wise, Thank you!

TD - Don't know about mad cow - I think it's the whole animal, isn't it? I'm with you, anyway - the thought of eating offal is just awful!

VIC, I don't know where you're from, so can't comment on what local food customs you have. I suspect you're not in the States?! We can get lamb in the grocery stores here, but I have never seen cans of heart in cream sauce!!!

Here in the US, local culture of the area affects what's available in the groceries. Even in my shopping 'radius', there are stores that routinely carry things like smoked pig knuckles, and ears, and snouts, along with collards and fresh black eye peas. Other markets don't have any of that, but do have foise gras, and other 'exotic' items.

I do so agree with your statement that "food is something we eat every day, so I believe we should spend lots of time preparing it and ofcourse talking about it and eating it :-)." Preparing food for yourself and your family is an act of love, and the ritual of sitting down and 'breaking bread' together as a family is a custom that's sadly disappearing.

So, too with the art of cooking; the availability of 'convenice' foods, and 'ready to eat' delis, along with the hectic lifestyle of many Americans, has all contributed to the loss of a 'cooking culture'. Recipes are no longer handed down from generation to generation, and it makes me sad, because all of the knowledge of our grandparents is getting lost in the shuffle of our fast paced lives. I encourage everyone I know to sit down with their elders, and talk about and write down, food customs, and recipes. What a wonderful way to preserve heritage, and custom, and a sense of family!

Keep it simple

and just don't eat it. I've been vegetarian for about 4 1/2 years and don't miss meat a bit.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. ~Albert Einstein

Andrea

Yay! Another vegetarian!

I've been veggie for about 7 years now and I don't miss meat either. Plus, there are so many fake meats now. There are veggie burgers, fake chicken, tofurkey, to name a few. I had a new one the other day that looks and tastes exactly like shrimp. It's amazing.

A friend was telling me yesterday that her sister just started college at a liberal arts school and the meat eaters are the minority there. I truly believe that it won't be long when there are more vegetarians than meat eaters.